Boots on a budget?

grfox92

WKR
I forgot to mention this earlier when this thread started. But if you're not a fan of stiff, Cabela's Iron Ridge are a fantastic boot.

I have a pair that I'm not exaggerating is 12 years old and still waterproof. I've always treated them with mink oil and they still don't leak.

The only reason I don't wear them anymore is because the soul is like a slick there's absolutely no tread left. I have thousands of miles in those boots, and that's no exaggeration.

They have Goodyear sole on them that has great grip on any conditions.

The pair I have is 800gram which would be a great late season or snow boot. They make a 400 gram and an uninsulated version. I ha e heard the uninsulated are not the same boot as the full leather, in a bad way..

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Sometimes it is dumb to read the menu from right to left. Boots & tires are two things I don't skimp on. If they fail, you're not getting anywhere.

truck-tires-blown-out.jpg

thewileyone

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of good advice on here. If you go with companies like Merrell or Danner, realize they have some cheap crap and some good boots. There’s a lot of good boots out there... Han-Wag, Lowa, Crispi, Meindl, Zamberlan, just to name a few... that have great boots with less cheap junk. If you ever end up bruising your feet, you won’t skimp on boots.

If you can try on boots and figure out what you want, just search and spend some time looking for a deal. There’s a lot of decent options under $200. Salomon quest will work and you can find them in the 100-130 range. I have worn them for a few years and they have held up. Socks make a huge difference also. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just spent six weeks going through six pair of new boots- five pair went back and my selection was a surprise to me.

I'll save you the long story and just say I did a three day pig hunt in Texas two weeks back through 4-5" of record rainfall with the boot I picked. It was more like duck hunting and I crossed fields of 3-6" water flows and went completely under on the right boot on the last day out. Until then, my feet were dry in both boots. Boots were submerged for hours a day, and were dried out on the porch in the breeze overnights.

The boot: Lacrosse Windrose which is $99 at Sportsman's Warehouse right now. Got home and ran some boot cream over them and pulled out the hedge thorns from the sole. We hunted the THICK stuff in moonlight (all night) and the toe leather held up good for the torture these went through on that outing alone. This is an insulated boot and we were in the 40s most of the hunt- never cold feet- perfect!

I'd love some $400 Crispis and Danner doesn't make the boot they used to, so when I find the right fit on a decent boot on sale, I grab it. I should buy another pair while they are on sale- this is a great boot (for me and my foot anyway).
Good to hear. I just bought a pair of Lacrosse Atlas. It’s the windrose with a little extra rubber that’s a touch stiffer. Basically same boot just a little more support and weight.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Looking for a pair of boots for hunting/ hiking. Leaning towards keen, merrell or danners. Don't have an unlimited budget so looking for something that will get the job done. Any insights would be great!
Zamberlan's light hikers blow Salomon boots out of the water for durability and actually being water proof and staying that way. Every pair of Salomons I've had have leaked in short order. My Zamberlans have never had that issue.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jpiazza91

FNG
I have Asolo "Hunting" boots from Sierra Trading Post and am very happy with the fit and quality for western terrain hunting.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
plus two

my first pair of La Sportiva "hunting" boots came from STP for a very substantial savings!

grfox92

WKR
Zamberlan's light hikers blow Salomon boots out of the water for durability and actually being water proof and staying that way. Every pair of Salomons I've had have leaked in short order. My Zamberlans have never had that issue.

Can you recommend a boot from Zamberlan that fits like a Quest 4D?

Zappaman

WKR
Good to hear. I just bought a pair of Lacrosse Atlas. It’s the windrose with a little extra rubber that’s a touch stiffer. Basically same boot just a little more support and weight.
That's a great boot. Lacrosse owns Danner and I'd wonder it the sole was made in the same factory as the Danner Pronghorn (also a decent boot... for what is is).

Just my opinion here.

I work in the woods and it is not uncommon for me to walk 12+ miles in a day. This can involve walking up and down steep slopes and especially a lot of sidehilling.

I have worn Lowas, Salomons, etc. Between me and my coworkers, basically every reputable brand of boot has been tried. Basically, they all work. It really is just a matter of what fits you best and how much support you desire. And it really is about how much support you desire - even with heavy loads, I think people actually need very little support unless they have an injury of some kind. My only rule is that - fit being equal - I prefer a vibram sole, and (if waterproof) gore-tex vs. generic waterproofing.

Honestly, my go-to boots are the Merrell Moab mid-height model. I have the Gore-Tex model for when there's snow on the ground and the ventilators for all other conditions. I am also in the process of wearing out some Oboz Sawtooths, which are fine, although the outsole has worn down pretty quickly. I am required to wear boots, or else I'd probably mostly wear tennis shoes in good weather.

I think that for non-mountaineering use, most people do not need more than Merrell or Oboz. Honestly, most people don't need more than trail runners, even with backpacking loads. I know that unless I'm going to be kicking steps in packed snow or wearing crampons, I'm going to be in lightweight boots.

Like I said, just my opinion. I have some coworkers who swear by their Crispis and Kenetreks, and others who wear minimalist zero-drop shoes, all for the same work in the same terrain.

Zappaman

WKR
Just my opinion here.

I work in the woods and it is not uncommon for me to walk 12+ miles in a day. This can involve walking up and down steep slopes and especially a lot of sidehilling.

I have worn Lowas, Salomons, etc. Between me and my coworkers, basically every reputable brand of boot has been tried. Basically, they all work. It really is just a matter of what fits you best and how much support you desire. And it really is about how much support you desire - even with heavy loads, I think people actually need very little support unless they have an injury of some kind. My only rule is that - fit being equal - I prefer a vibram sole, and (if waterproof) gore-tex vs. generic waterproofing.

Honestly, my go-to boots are the Merrell Moab mid-height model. I have the Gore-Tex model for when there's snow on the ground and the ventilators for all other conditions. I am also in the process of wearing out some Oboz Sawtooths, which are fine, although the outsole has worn down pretty quickly. I am required to wear boots, or else I'd probably mostly wear tennis shoes in good weather.

I think that for non-mountaineering use, most people do not need more than Merrell or Oboz. Honestly, most people don't need more than trail runners, even with backpacking loads. I know that unless I'm going to be kicking steps in packed snow or wearing crampons, I'm going to be in lightweight boots.

Like I said, just my opinion. I have some coworkers who swear by their Crispis and Kenetreks, and others who wear minimalist zero-drop shoes, all for the same work in the same terrain.

Wow... I just never see posts like this one here in Rock Slide-- saying basically that some not-to-high-priced boots work JUST fine! (I couldn't agree more, BTW).

I ran ONE pair of short Merrills for SIX years between the age of 25 and 31 on a LOT of hunts (one or two- 20 mile or so- mountain hunts a year in those things!) Packed 115 lb packs of elk meat in them too. I even epoxied the cracks and soles to get a few more years out of them. When I tossed them they fit like a glove, and looked like hell!

I've killed more elk and deer in my Merrills, Vasque short boots (look like tennis shoes), or Gortex lined Sundowns-- both with Virbram soles-- than my OLD (tall) Danners (and I still own the Sundowns, I waxed them just a few moths back- about 10 years old now and going strong). But when it gets wet and muddy I'll go for the taller Danner Acacia boots (circa 1993- still going fine too)- but tall boots were rarely needed on my NM hunts though. I guess that why I still have the Danners after 30 years.

Seems there are a LOT of people who want to spend a lot of cash for boots here ;) Glad to hear of real world users who do JUST fine with decent pair of $120 boots. If you're like me and use them a few times a year-- they can last a LONG time and work fine (*if you keep them conditioned).

ledflight

WKR
Just my opinion here.

Thanks for your feedback from experience. I don't spend a ton of time in the woods but have moved to zero drop footwear and more minimal stuff for everyday wear and have been fine in the woods with Altra hikers and similar stuff AFTER and ankle break and a foot surgery. Basically I want a stronger foot, while still recognizing actual limitations.
It seems like most don't consider the ability for our ankles to be trained and developed - whether through regular use or specific programs - the same way we might develop the rest of our bodies.
I am not going to offer opinions on heavy packouts as I haven't had that reward yet.

BKehoe05

FNG
I live in Michigan. Whitetail hunter for 30 years. Finally going to get out of state and try something new. Looking at antelope this year, hoping to go elk hunting next year. Just never had a big budget for gear. Doing what I can to make a few trips
I wear Merrill’s. I wear Moab 2 mid hikes for work and I wore them for Antelope in Colorado in 2021. I wear the standard non-waterproof version and these boots have had zero break-in for me (3rd pair). The previous pairs have lasted about 2-3 yrs before I buy a new pair, with that said I’m wearing them 7 days a week for 8-9 months a year climbing roofs and hunting in them in Texas, PA, Michigan, SD, Utah and Colorado. They are $150 boots and they fit me like a glove. They have recently come out with a carbon fiber waterproof version at a $170 price point for 2022 and that will be my purchase. I usually wear the new boots for a season and then make them my work boots. However the guys willing to spend $250+ on a pair of boots are wearing them maybe 40-50 days a year if they are lucky so getting 4+ years out of them isn’t unheard of.

The point is, while I’m sure there are some quality differences that people will point out, there is nothing I’m doing any different in terms of hunting than they are except wearing them a whole heck of a lot more.

Merrill Moab 2s for me all day every day 🤷‍♂️

sneaky

"DADDY"
The Mamba. It's their newest light hiker with the BOA lacing system

sneaky

"DADDY"
Can you recommend a boot from Zamberlan that fits like a Quest 4D?

The Mamba with the BOA lacing system. Looks like they have some new boots coming out this spring as well. Be worth keeping an eye out on

Looking for a pair of boots for hunting/ hiking. Leaning towards keen, merrell or danners. Don't have an unlimited budget so looking for something that will get the job done. Any insights would be great!

There is no such thing. There are boots you pay for with money and boots you pay for with pain. Pick your preferred payment. I don't get cheap when it comes to boots...they can make or break a hunt.