Boots

I'm just starting to hike more and learn. I'm looking for a pair of boots that would be good for back packing and not making my feet sore. I was looking at the crispi nevada gtx, is there something recommended that would be better?

Last edited:
You're looking for a pair of boots to make your feet sore?

I think the most important thing is to find a boot that fits. Every company uses a different last, and some use different lasts for different models. Try on a bunch and find the one that fits your foot. I don't buy boots or any kind of shoes these days, without either having owned a previous pair by the same manufacturer, or without first trying them on. There is just too much variation these days among boot/shoe companies, even in sizing alone.

I could tell you what works for my feet, but you don't have my feet.

OP
Tristanamm
Not make my feet sore, sorry I did edit it. How are you able to try on some brands if there isn't a store that carries them around you? Around me I can try Kenetrek, Lowa and Zamberlans which does not give me a bunch of options for what is out there...

Not make my feet sore, sorry I did edit it. How are you able to try on some brands if there isn't a store that carries them around you? Around me I can try Kenetrek, Lowa and Zamberlans which does not give me a bunch of options for what is out there...
Honestly, that's three more brands than I can try on where I live. Here, I get Cabelas, and that's it. And I have to drive 100 miles to do that.

Find places that will allow you to order online with free returns. Try them on and then return them if they don't fit well.

But frankly if you can't find a Lowa, Kenetrek or Zamberlans that fit you, you've got some weird feet.

For me personally, my backpacking boots always end up being Vasques. They just fit my feet well. I have even used my Vasque mid's for elk and muley hunting. There is no rule against it. LOL

bradr3367

Lil-Rokslider
The Crispi Nevada's are very comfortable. I ordered the same size as my street shoe, and the Nevada's fit true to size.

OP
Tristanamm
I haven’t tried them on yet I’m still doing research and asking around. I haven’t heard of Vasue so I’ll have to look those up.

OP
Tristanamm
The Crispi Nevada's are very comfortable. I ordered the same size as my street shoe, and the Nevada's fit true to size.
Do you wear them for long hikes? Have you had other brands that were similar or worse?

bradr3367

Lil-Rokslider
Do you wear them for long hikes? Have you had other brands that were similar or worse?
I've been wearing them on long hikes with a 50lb backpack for the past several months in preparation for 2020 elk, with no issues. I also have a pair of the Hanwag Brenner GTX, which are equally as comfortable as the Nevadas. Their fit is true to size for me, and no issues while hiking with the weighted backpack. My son has a pair of the Salewa Crow GTX, which he loves. He was told to order a half size larger than his street shoe, which he did, and the fit was great. He's worn them hunting, hiking, and recently wore them to work all day on hard surface with no troubles at all.

OP
Tristanamm
Awesome well thank you. I’ll do some reading on those and see what I believe would work best for me, thank you!

Vasque boots are very popular with backpackers. Maybe not so much for off-trail mountain hunters who expect to be carrying out loads of meat, but then that's not what you asked. You asked about backpacking.

OP
Tristanamm
Yes I know, I appreciate the opinion and will look into them as well. They might something that works for me. Thank you