Booze flask?

boom

WKR
I’m not a big drinker, but sometimes a flask seems like a cool idea. Long hikes. Backpack trips, etc.

just wondering. Any ideas? I’ve seen very inexpensive lightweight plastic options. But what I’d I want to class it up a bit? Pewter?

Carlin59

WKR
Can’t hurt to have options. My dad’s birthday is mid-September, a flask of nice whiskey is a nice way to celebrate in the backcountry. I use a
Stanley flask for this purpose. Easy to clean and a little larger than standard.

Rob5589

WKR
I use a plastic one, works fine and was cheap. Pewter may be too soft and deform inside a pack. I have see some titanium ones that are super cool, also super spendy. Stainless would be a reasonable way to go.
These look pretty slick...

BluMtn

WKR
I have one that is heavy glass with a leather cover that belonged to my grandfather, probably about 70 years old. I have tried the plastic ones and it seems to me that if you leave it in the plastic to long it changes the taste. Stainless would probably be good also.

I have a Stainless metal one someone gave me as a gift. It still makes it in the occasional bird hunt when some “aiming fluid” is the order of the day. For backpacking I use a Nalgene flask or platypus makes bladders for booze/wine. Not sure if their is any magic to the booze version vs a normal bladder.

I can’t say that the taste thing has been an issue but I don’t have a really top notch pallet. Like all cooking and water carrying gear, I wash the hell out of the flasks before use including filling with 2-3 change of hot water and letting them soak for a day. The booze doesn’t usually last long either. I mainly carry it for short trips or it gets used up early on long trips so it isn’t in the flask for more than a couple of days.

Taking nips of a flask in the backcountry is great. If you want to step it up it is easy to make some descent creek water cocktails. I mix bourbon, some treated water and a real lime powder and sugar packet to make some kind of Ricky. Throw in a handful of snow, a nice fire and some descent company and you feel downright luxurious.

Crang

FNG
I have a nice pewter one but would never take it in the field. Got a cheapo plastic one at either Walmart or the liquor store. Holds more and much lighter. A Mexican hot chocolate with Mezcal is a campfire favorite.

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
I use a 12 oz nalgene flask--cheap, light and strong. I like just a sip or two of good rum before bedtime in the mountains.

I normally fill a water bottle with alcohol of choice and take another water bottle with just water. Vacuum seal both together and freeze it. Then have ice in my cocktails the first night.

OP
B

boom

WKR
I use a 12 oz nalgene flask--cheap, light and strong. I like just a sip or two of good rum before bedtime in the mountains.
this is an option i had not considered. not bad!

We keep two bottles of whiskey in the truck. Good scotch for after the last load is safe I. The cooler. Or cheap bourbon for the last night in an unsuccessful camp. Tremendous motivation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CNW

FNG
Snow Peak makes titanium flasks in a couple different shapes and sizes. Been eying them myself lately. Cheers

TheGDog

WKR
They have small cheap water-bag type flasks. Think I got one at REI in one of those impulse buy bins.

I picked up one with a middle-finger printed on it. They're very durable. I'm guessing they hold... maybe... 4-6oz? I've seen them other places like Gas-Station convenience stores.

Just search a little thru Amazon.

Vapur makes good water-bag type products and have several items for alcohol related drinks/wine as well.

Last edited:

Old_Navy

Lil-Rokslider
I've got 2 of the Nalgene 12 Oz. One for my single malt
& the other for fuel for my Solo Stove Burner.
Printed out Bright Labels for each so I Don't drink
out of the wrong one :)