Borah Bivy on snow?

fishslap

WKR
I’m packing in for my 4th rifle mule deer/elk hunt next week. Looks like I’ll be dealing with some snow on the ground. I still want to take my light setup which is a borah ultralight bivy, exped down mat winter, FF snow bunting 0 deg, SO silex with medium u turn stove. I might take my therma rest ridge rest to go under my pad also. With that said, should I plan to take a tyvek sheet to go under the bivy? I’ll probably clear off most of the snow on the ground in the shelter. Setup from last year and I hope to be in the same spot:
D1E18058-B02E-4319-BD72-B9A7F0D7927D.jpeg285579B5-B88D-422E-A8C1-645B4D98CD22.jpeg

id_jon

WKR
I had to kick snow out of my spot this year, similar setup to yours. Supertarp with a stove and borah bivy. I did not bring tyvek, but I definitely appreciated my thermarest foam for under my insulated nemo pad. I think I would probably do either the ridgerest or the tyvek, probably don't need both though.

id_jon

WKR
I used to take tyvek too but left it out on a spring trip last year and haven't really missed it.

I have 3 oz dyneema ground sheet that I also use as a glassing shelter. It wasn’t cheap but it works well and it’s light.

I would say that the seek outside matty mmcmat face has become a favorite of mine. It is 40-80 and 1/8 inch thick foam. 9 oz. Fold it over a couple times and it is a great sit pad. Spread it out and it acts as a ground cloth plus it protects my inflatable pad a bit. It doesn’t have the R value of a ridge rest but it weighs less and is big enough that I don’t need it and a ground cloth. I used it this week in CO 3rd rifle with lots of snow and it worked great Both as a sit pad and ground cloth.

Superdoo

WKR
Foam pad on the ground will be the best bang for your buck. Then put the pad in the bivy.

Phaseolus

WKR
I have 3 oz dyneema ground sheet that I also use as a glassing shelter. It wasn’t cheap but it works well and it’s light.

I would say that the seek outside matty mmcmat face has become a favorite of mine. It is 40-80 and 1/8 inch thick foam. 9 oz. Fold it over a couple times and it is a great sit pad. Spread it out and it acts as a ground cloth plus it protects my inflatable pad a bit. It doesn’t have the R value of a ridge rest but it weighs less and is big enough that I don’t need it and a ground cloth. I used it this week in CO 3rd rifle with lots of snow and it worked great Both as a sit pad and ground cloth.

I too use the matty mcmatt in place of a ground cloth.

If you don't clear off the snow and are on a slight incline the borah will try to slide downhill.
Clearing off snow and a foam mat with the stove will be awesome!

E6ylK

FNG
I always use tyvek (or something) with mine, if directly on wet ground or snow, even though it shouldn’t be necessary. I’ve used a ridge rest too, underneath everything (borah bivy, air mattress & sleeping bag), but it’s extra weight and I’ll only add a second pad when car camping or hauling with a pulk. It is a nice boost to the r value, but that’s not needed with a good winter pad.

2 tips for tyvek:
1. I’ve been taking a 3’ square section with me for several years (weighs almost nothing) and find it useful to keep small things dry and off the ground. It also works well under a foam butt pad to keep your legs / butt dry in the snow.
2. Wash the tyvek a few times (no detergent). This softens it considerably and keeps it from crinkling all night long. I haven’t noticed any performance difference in the waterproofness.