Borah Bivy vs Tigoat Raven Omni vs Mnt Laurel design Soul

whitingja

WKR
I need a bivy to use mainly under my Big Agnes with just the fly. I would like to use the Bivy outside if on elk, and I dont feel like hiking back to camp. I know the first two are not water proof but resistant. Any suggestions on what would be the best choice. thanks.

muleman

WKR
I would also throw Katabatic Gear in the mix. I had a hard time finding a long wide option last year and ended up with a Katabatic bivy. I'm pleased with it. Fit, finish, and quality are great. Paired with a small tarp the water resistant bivy is the way I went.

Over the past couple of years I have changed my opinion of stand alone water proof bivys. I feel a small tarp and water resistant bivy gives me more options than a bomber bivy does on it's own. After thinking about things like cooking, changing or being bivy bound in extreme weather. I opted to carry a small tarp and lightweight water resistant bivy.

Last edited:
OP
W

whitingja

WKR
so do you pack up your tarp and bivy everymorning before heading out to hunt in anticipation of camping in a new spot? If so, does it seem like alot of work?

muleman

WKR
so do you pack up your tarp and bivy everymorning before heading out to hunt in anticipation of camping in a new spot? If so, does it seem like alot of work?

I generally try to camp on a ridge in the middle of the area that I'm hunting. For my general season tags, that I hunt year after year I have this worked this out to a science. So I do not plan on bivying. Rather I'm close enough to make my way back to camp and back out to the game in the A.M.

If I'm on a quick overnight or day hunt with potential overnight because of harvest at dusk I pack a small tarp with my light weight bivy and quilt. The older I get the less I think I need to bivy. Sleeping without a pad is miserable.

So my primary use for a bivy is to keep spindriff, mist or condensation off my bag when I camp floorless. 99% of the time I use a floorless shelter and not a tarp. The exception is noted above. Thus the reason I said my opinion of bivys has changed. If I were to go to a stand alone bivy, it would be a bomber event bivy.

As a side note, I almost always have a tarp just under 9'x5' and emegency bivy in my pack for a total combined weight of 11oz. Just in case.

Eagle

WKR
I'm a fan of the Ti Goat Raven. I just bought my second one after selling the first one last summer, I wanted the hip zip they now offer, which wasn't available when I first bought that bivy. It's a new material to me, but it seems very similar, and it's lightened up some as well. My bivy came in at 7oz on the money with the bug net hood option sewn in. I used the older version with my 8'X8' oware tarp, and never had an issue staying dry. I think they are very well made bivy's, hence my buying a second one. I would be comfortable using it in a light misty rain, but no way I would use it in a downpour.

muleman

WKR
I would have gone with the Raven but it wouldn't fit my wide pads. Titanium Goat is local to me and strongly believe in supporting local and US made if possible.