Borah bivy

hernandeztonyb7

Lil-Rokslider
Looking into bivys and have run across the Borah Bivy cuben and ultra light, anyone have any issues with them or how they like running them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bbrinks

FNG
John is great to work with too if you want to make any small modifications. Didn’t get the cuben, but really happy with their bug bivy

Not Cuban but I like mine. Emailed John my specs (extra girth for 50” manly man shoulders and running pad on the inside) and had it custom made in short order. Used it several nights and very happy.

If I had one issue to note it would be that his material on the bottom is slick. If you run your pad underneath it may slide around.

rm06

WKR
I have one and use it, I don't remember the model but it is several years old. I put my pad and bag in it, keeps me and my bag from sliding off the pad which is fight I don't like to have all night. I usually run it under a lightweight shelter but I've used it standalone as well. Good kit and lightweight.

I also have one in DCF and love it. I've only had it for two years now, but have used it quite a bit with zero issues. When I ordered mine there were a few things that I wanted different from the standard, and John was super easy to work with and only charged like $10 for the modifications.

tdot

WKR
I just ordered a semi custom bivy from Jon. I wanted a hybrid regular/bug bivy to sorta work in both rolls. Turns out he already had a design, it just wasn't listed on his site. His communications were great, price was reasonable ($20 extra for custom work). I'm hopeful that the end product matches the ordering process.

OP
hernandeztonyb7

hernandeztonyb7

Lil-Rokslider
I’m assuming most of you gentleman pair it with a tarp?

OP
hernandeztonyb7

hernandeztonyb7

Lil-Rokslider
Do you guys notice it adding warmth to your sleeping bag?

Yes, coupled with a tarp and no, I can’t say that I’ve noticed any additional warmth, but it does really help at mitigating drafts, so as far as that goes, it helps with staying warm.

I do not have a Borah bivy but use one that is similar. Sometime use it without a tarp but mostly with one. I use a quilt and believe it helps with drafts which in turn keeps me warmer. Also I use tyvek under bivy.

I picked up my borah from @AK Troutbum , he had a big u-shaped zipper added and the top is probably 50% mesh. I used it a lot last season and really like it. I also have the ee recon bivy and prefer the borah. I feel like it breaths better.

Mudd Foot

WKR
Great quality. Have an ultralight and a custom bug bivy. Can’t say enough good things.

OP
hernandeztonyb7

hernandeztonyb7

Lil-Rokslider
Just placed an order for one can’t wait to pair it with my Kifaru quilt.

Ordered mine last year. I use a floorless shelter. The main reason I got one of the bivy sacks, is I already utilize a Tyvek ground cloth to protect pad, now I can leave that at home, and put pad and bag in bivy. The other reason is It adds some more water resistance capabilities

Moserkr

WKR
Love my borah bivy. Still going strong after 3 years in my tipi. Wish i got the side zipper though, and the stake down tabs should be at the head not the foot. You usually sleep woth your head higher than your feet and gravity naturally pulls down, so makes sense. Didnt know about the cuben fiber one though!!

b1c2r3r4

FNG
Classified Approved
I have a side zip borah ordered on March 3. Says 5-6 weeks for delivery. I am planning on using it with a tarp, z packs bathtub ground sheet and a military poncho liner. This will be for emergencies and spike camps. I also have one I am going to use to help keep the quilt and pad together.

I have a side zip borah ordered on March 3. Says 5-6 weeks for delivery. I am planning on using it with a tarp, z packs bathtub ground sheet and a military poncho liner. This will be for emergencies and spike camps. I also have one I am going to use to help keep the quilt and pad together.

They work great for keeping everything together and your idea is sound. Only thing is the poncho liner. I was an infantryman for 8 years and have tons of use, love, and memories of the the woobie (poncho liner) I still have have my first 1 that has been to more countries than most people have. Keep in mind that they are heavy and not very warm. I'd say 50* comfortable and 40* on the bottom end. All of mine are in the 24oz range. For biggest bang for your buck you can't beat a down quilt. My hammock gear 20* down quilt weighs 23oz, packs smaller, and was only about 130$ iirc. Light years ahead of the woobie. Just something to consider for your system.