Borah bivy

Moserkr

WKR
Question from a bivy ignoramus...
I'm assuming if the head net isn't needed (no bugs) that a person can just have the head of their sleeping bag on top of the net while the main body of the sleeping bag stays in the bivy???
Correct. I've actually never used the bug net while in the bivy. I like being able to keep my sleeping gear spider free while im away hunting though. Closing the bug net is like making your bed in the morning, quick zip and done.

Voyageur

WKR
OK. Thanks to this thread I've gained at least a cursory knowledge of bivies. Other than weight savings what are the pros of spending the extra on a DCF version?
Thanks.

Moserkr

WKR
OK. Thanks to this thread I've gained at least a cursory knowledge of bivies. Other than weight savings what are the pros of spending the extra on a DCF version?
Thanks.
DCF is not only lighter, but a naturally waterproof material. DCF was not available when I first got mine, but I will happily upgrade one day.

DCF is not only lighter, but a naturally waterproof material. DCF was not available when I first got mine, but I will happily upgrade one day.

To build on this, it means your bivvy will not only keep water out, but it won't soak up any water weight in its own material. Shake/wipe it off and put it back in your pack at its original weight. I love my DCF tarp for the same reason.

Last edited:

Jxferg7

Lil-Rokslider
To build on this, it means your bivvy will not only keep water out, but it won't soak up any water weight in its own material. Shake/wipe it off and put it back in your pack at its original weight. I love my DCF tarp for the same reason.
If running a down quilt would you have the cubes for the waterproof abilities or is the other more breathable? This will be my first year running my hammock gear down quilt and guys read horror stories of down “wetting” out

Millwood21

Lil-Rokslider
I used the biggest xtherm they make in mine. Rectangle shape. I did tell him this before ordering so it was made to fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk