Borah bivy

b1c2r3r4

FNG
I also was in the infantry from 1990-94. I don’t remember the poncho liner being that heavy but I haven’t found mine yet to weigh it. I will have a down coat and pants also to help with the cold. If the ponch liner weighs that much I will try and find something else to take its place.

Ordered mine last year. I use a floorless shelter. The main reason I got one of the bivy sacks, is I already utilize a Tyvek ground cloth to protect pad, now I can leave that at home, and put pad and bag in bivy. The other reason is It adds some more water resistance capabilities
So you feel that the 1.3 oz. silnylon is adequate to protect your pad from puncture? You have't felt the need to utilize an additional protective ground sheet under the bivy bottom material? That alone would probably influence me to get one. Thanks for any input!

So you feel that the 1.3 oz. silnylon is adequate to protect your pad from puncture? You have't felt the need to utilize an additional protective ground sheet under the bivy bottom material? That alone would probably influence me to get one. Thanks for any input!

Ground prep is always key, even when using the thicker type Tyvek cloth. But the pads today are pretty dang robust on their own too. I clear the ground really good and don't hesitate to put it all down.
I always carry a smaller piece of Tyvek, because I lay it out for quartering the elk/deer at the kill site. If I get into potentially troubling areas where I am concerned about puncture, I can always throw the Tyvek out there. It would small, but work if needed. But that has not happened to me yet. I run an Exped Synmat7 and this thing so far has been great. It's a bit heavier pad, but really stout and warm.

Shraggs

WKR
You asked earlier if folks use with a tarp, i do. Honestly i use a quilt and xtherm and having a bivy really helps the organization in addition to drafts splashes and a little more warmth. I use it under a tent or open tarp. Only i time I’m not using is if I’m using my hammock.

i also had john do some small customs, all at the great advice of AK troutbum

Just got mine in the mail, they are awesome to work with! Can’t wait to test it out when we’re out of the rona lockdown.

Vandy321

WKR
I just ordered the bug bivy yesterday...was told with a down bag, the condensation can be a small issue in the ultralight.

Dont plan on sleeping in it without a tarp anyhow m. Really just wanted it to keep my pad/bag together and so I can leave the noise tyvek at home.

John was awesome to deal with, great fella.

What was the wait time from when you ordered it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d have to go through my emails but I don’t think any longer than a week and a half.

That was with him taking the sides out to accommodate my bivvy and add caps to ends of the mesh. I 100% would of waited the 4-6 weeks if necessary to get it, for the price I don’t believe anything can touch Borah.

You asked earlier if folks use with a tarp, i do. Honestly i use a quilt and xtherm and having a bivy really helps the organization in addition to drafts splashes and a little more warmth. I use it under a tent or open tarp. Only i time I’m not using is if I’m using my hammock.

i also had john do some small customs, all at the great advice of AK troutbum
I wonder if AK troutbum would mind posting his mods and why on this thread?

Phaseolus

WKR
I was thinking that too, I’ve heard of adding 12” to the side zip, I think I m about ready to pull the trigger on one but I’d like to hear of more custom modifications and why, it would be very useful.

tdhanses

WKR
Not Cuban but I like mine. Emailed John my specs (extra girth for 50” manly man shoulders and running pad on the inside) and had it custom made in short order. Used it several nights and very happy.

If I had one issue to note it would be that his material on the bottom is slick. If you run your pad underneath it may slide around.

Just add some silicone lines or dots, problem solved.

Lawnboi

WKR
27247FD1-9923-429D-BF59-551D088BC62A.jpeg
Iv been using a Borah for a number of years. It’s a decent bivy for what it is, I use it in all my floor less setups. It keeps mud and crap off my bag, gives some protection to my pad, keeps all my stuff together and provides that little water protection. I haven’t had any really bad condensation problems in the borah.

The only down side of the borah, in my opinion comes when using it with a tarp like above. The hood doesn’t provide any protection, if I we’re running it mainly under a tarp or something more open, I’d give the MLD a try as it covers more of your head area. I still would like to give the mld a try, but just can’t justify it as this bivy for the most part now gets used in a cimmaron or bigger.

Nothing too crazy. I wanted a little more bug screen for better breathability and I wanted a chest zipper that went down both sides (mine runs half way down the bivy), to allow easier access and egress from either side. It did add a few extra grams but, in the DCF stuff sack, still only weighs 4.75 oz.

Wolf13

FNG
Nothing too crazy. I wanted a little more bug screen for better breathability and I wanted a chest zipper that went down both sides (mine runs half way down the bivy), to allow easier access and egress from either side. It did add a few extra grams but, in the DCF stuff sack, still only weighs 4.75 oz.

I use mine for my backpacking trips and had some changes from his standard design. The chest zipper was huge for me also added a second anchor point to the hood so it doesn't sit on the sides of my face at all. Easy to work with, great materials, and quick turn around when I bought mine. Couldn't recommend enough. Backpacking I combine this with a Yama tarp. Great set up for when the weather isn't terrible, and good enough for a lighter rain.

I use mine for my backpacking trips and had some changes from his standard design. The chest zipper was huge for me also added a second anchor point to the hood so it doesn't sit on the sides of my face at all. Easy to work with, great materials, and quick turn around when I bought mine. Couldn't recommend enough. Backpacking I combine this with a Yama tarp. Great set up for when the weather isn't terrible, and good enough for a lighter rain.
You guys wouldn’t happen to have any photos of the mods. Curious to how the multiple tie out for netting works/looks. How much extra length of zipper did you guys add to the side zipper?