Borah bivy

tdot

WKR
This isn't mine, as I have no good pictures but what I modeled mine off of (this one is longer and wider). The zipper on mine just goes across the chest and down one side. Great guy to deal with and at the time was $15 extra for any customizations.

I've been talking to John about that exact setup. I believe he's currently charging $25 extra for that bivy. I think it's the best combination of features I've seen in a bivy.

Have you actually had time with yours? Any additional changes?

Wolf13

FNG
I've been talking to John about that exact setup. I believe he's currently charging $25 extra for that bivy. I think it's the best combination of features I've seen in a bivy.

Have you actually had time with yours? Any additional changes?
I've had it for about a year and a half. I haven't taken it hunting, but gone on a few backpacking trips. I actually don't think I'd change anything except the width. I didn't go wider and probably should have. Not that I need it, but from a mental perspective. At the time I was trying to save ounces, but I could add a few and still be below an 8lb pack minus food/water. I'm not uncomfortable at all, but the extra weight in this case would have been worth it.

I really can't recommend this enough. For my backpacking trips this plus my tarp weigh just over one pound with stakes. Not something I'd take in extreme weather, but the combo is effective in a lot of weather and plenty of times I don't pitch the tarp. Add the tarp and I feel comfortable in most weather.

Love my Borah Gear SnowySide eVent bivy. Had it made oversized with a custom center zip to match my Slick bags. Everything about the bivy and sale has been excellent. Would gladly buy another if this one ever wears out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoneyDew

WKR
Love my Borah Gear SnowySide eVent bivy. Had it made oversized with a custom center zip to match my Slick bags. Everything about the bivy and sale has been excellent. Would gladly buy another if this one ever wears out.

Would you be able to share any pictures so I could better understand the mods?

Voyageur

WKR
Lots of good info in this thread. I'm very close to ordering from Borah and am wondering if there are any more pictures showing the mods that have been discussed? I still don't have a real clear picture of what others have done. The bug netting down the middle to reduce interior condensation I do understand. The zipper mods not so much.
Those of you who have used a bivy would you be so kind as to offer a list of "must have" features?
To clarify usage my bivy will see use inside a tipi. I've used a tipi for over 15 years, but never a bivy. Didn't ever think about needing/using one until reading various threads here.
Thanks.

IMO if your staying in a tipi a bug bivy is all you need. This is mostly netting on top so it breaths well but not so water proof.

I have not used a Borah bivy but have thought about ordering one. The bivy I use has a center zipper. This makes it easier to get in and out of. I would want that mod if ordering a Borah. Take with a grain of salt as I`m no expert.

Wolf13

FNG
Lots of good info in this thread. I'm very close to ordering from Borah and am wondering if there are any more pictures showing the mods that have been discussed? I still don't have a real clear picture of what others have done. The bug netting down the middle to reduce interior condensation I do understand. The zipper mods not so much.
Those of you who have used a bivy would you be so kind as to offer a list of "must have" features?
To clarify usage my bivy will see use inside a tipi. I've used a tipi for over 15 years, but never a bivy. Didn't ever think about needing/using one until reading various threads here.
Thanks.
Do you ever plan on using just the bivy? If not what Elkdreamer says is dead on. Get a bug bivy and have the zippers modified. If there's any thought of going to just the bivy then get the netting in the face and down the middle to help it breath, especially if it's cuben fiber or whatever they are calling it now.

I've attached a marked up photo of the previous one I posted.

Circles - indicated tie points that you attach to a treking pole. You want the second one for the head so it doesn't tent with only one load point. With two of them you get more of a box and it doesn't hit the side of your face (still only use one trekking pole or stick). The one at the bottom for your feet is fine; no need for a second on down there.

Lines - indicate the zipper coming across the chest then down the side is what you want IMO. It added weight (I was counting ounces), but I'm not a contortionist. Way easier to get in and not at all frustrating.

Attachments

• Bivy.jpg
    Bivy.jpg
    742.7 KB · Views: 101
Do you ever plan on using just the bivy? If not what Elkdreamer says is dead on. Get a bug bivy and have the zippers modified. If there's any thought of going to just the bivy then get the netting in the face and down the middle to help it breath, especially if it's cuben fiber or whatever they are calling it now.

I've attached a marked up photo of the previous one I posted.

Circles - indicated tie points that you attach to a treking pole. You want the second one for the head so it doesn't tent with only one load point. With two of them you get more of a box and it doesn't hit the side of your face (still only use one trekking pole or stick). The one at the bottom for your feet is fine; no need for a second on down there.

Lines - indicate the zipper coming across the chest then down the side is what you want IMO. It added weight (I was counting ounces), but I'm not a contortionist. Way easier to get in and not at all frustrating.

I like it! Here’s what I had him do with mine. Just the one bungee point at the hood, but it works very well and keeps the net off of me.
152338eb0d66a928279591e5637c52c8.jpg

72d63e51bc2188b682b8ade7521b4f5e.jpg

fc93385ee841f720b7d6b083679a0a31.jpg

5acc9cdf68a8ed06e4f010b93bbf7d64.jpg

Vandy321

WKR
after purchasing the borah with the tub and full bug net on top, which I love....one word of warning (I'm sure most would think of it ahead of time, I did not). While the bivy doesn't condensate...if you're using a single wall be careful...came back to my tent in the afternoon after it was snowing all night. It had warned a bit and my supertarp was dripping all over my down bag through the bug net.

CONDENSATION

John noted to a customer that the Cuben is only on the bottom. The top is Argon67, very breathable. John said no need for mesh in the middle. Old fabric manufacturer changed the M50 over time, and it did not breath well. The new Argon67 is super soft and breathable, plus very water resistant.

QUESTION: Do those who have used the newest Argon67 top fabric models agree that no additional mesh is needed?

Wolf13

FNG
CONDENSATION

John noted to a customer that the Cuben is only on the bottom. The top is Argon67, very breathable. John said no need for mesh in the middle. Old fabric manufacturer changed the M50 over time, and it did not breath well. The new Argon67 is super soft and breathable, plus very water resistant.

QUESTION: Do those who have used the newest Argon67 top fabric models agree that no additional mesh is needed?
I’ll ask around my backpacking friends...

I would be interested in hearing about the condensation thing too.

Again my bivy is not a Borah. I have woke up a couple nights out of maybe 40 all clammy. Not condensation but sweaty/clammy while sleeping in clothes after a long day. Must have been moisture evaporating out of my clothes.

I sleep in a down quilt and to lazy to get undressed and dressed in the morning. My bad I guess but my sweaty clothes are dry. lol

Moserkr

WKR
Ive had my borah bivy for 3 years so not sure which fabric it uses (not dcf at least). Never had a condensation issue on the inside of my bivy even during rain/snow, set up on moist ground. I keep my tent stove stoked all night though, and my tipi is over-sized for two people. That may help keep condensation down but its always present to some extent on the tipi. My bivy will occasionally get wet on top from the tipi’s condensation but it never gets through. I would not want a bug bivy only, for that reason, and to be able to use the bivy outside the tipi if needed. Wish i got the side zip though and 2 more stake points up top, mine only has 2 on the bottom which doesnt help. I see the new ones have 4 stake points... I always have my head above my feet so i slide down... but it works great otherwise and has kept me dry, and my pad safe. Id get the dcf now though if i had another chance but saving 2 ozs isnt worth switching.

Voyageur

WKR
Question from a bivy ignoramus...
I'm assuming if the head net isn't needed (no bugs) that a person can just have the head of their sleeping bag on top of the net while the main body of the sleeping bag stays in the bivy???