Borah Bivy

gulicemo

Banned
Anyone hear have any nights spent in a Borah bivy? http://www.borahgear.com/sidebivy.html

I would use it primarily under a tarp or as an emergency shelter if needed.

Pros and cons if you have used it, please. I did a search here and didn't turn up much. It has nothing but good reviews from what I have seen elsewhere on the inter-web.

This is used extensively by the ultralight backpacking crowd. Gets a lot of great reviews and is said to be a great bivy. And the price point is the best out there, along with custom sizing. If I was going to get a bivy for under a tarp this one would be it.

Ozz08

WKR
Yeah the prices look awesome for those. I'm looking into an ultralight bivy for use under a mega tarp or LBO shelter. I wish the borah had a wire hoop built in to keep the mesh off my face instead of having to tie it off. Wouldn't be a deal breaker for me though.

a3dhunter

WKR
I ordered one, should be here any day now.
Added extra girth because I'm a big guy and the added an extra long zipper as well.
Will let you guys know how it is once i try it out.

• Banned
OP
gulicemo

gulicemo

Banned
Looking forward to your review. Looks like just the ticket for damp ground, splash and bug protection.

Floorguy

WKR
Looks like I will be ordering one shortly, I emailed to find out if the hood could have a net window instead of the full net hood and he said that that mod was free since its requested so often. He also said shipping to Alaska is the same as anywhere in the lower 48 (free) which is a big bonus. He also emailed a pic of the hood with the net window so I would know what to expect.

Looks like I will be ordering one shortly, I emailed to find out if the hood could have a net window instead of the full net hood and he said that that mod was free since its requested so often. He also said shipping to Alaska is the same as anywhere in the lower 48 (free) which is a big bonus. He also emailed a pic of the hood with the net window so I would know what to expect.

Nice! Care to post that picture of it with just the net window?

Mike

Floorguy

WKR
Lets see if this works.

Pretty simple design just a long rectangle. Similar to the Oware window on their bivy. If I change my mind on the Borah I am thinking the Katabatic bristlecone is looking bretty good.

View attachment 6285

Floorguy

WKR
Ok here it goes for a second try
netwindow_zps3ba19c69.jpg

OP
gulicemo

gulicemo

Banned
Just pulled the trigger on a side zip. Will post a report as soon as I get some use.

Floorguy

WKR
Their website says most mods are $5-10 and just email for a quote. I emailed and got a response the next day might try emailing them again.

I'm talking with John from Borah gear and he said that he thinks the M90 is his favorite material for breathability and water repellant. The 1.1DWR he feels isn't as breathable as the other two.

I'm going to pick up a side zip with what I'm calling a 3/4 net hood. Instead of the net extending to the edge of the bivy it'll stop a few inches short.

Mike

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Those look really sweet. That is a great price too. I just paid twice that for a Tigoat bivy. Let us know how you guys like them after some use!