Borah Bug Bivy questions/observations...

colonel00

WKR
So I'm just returning from just under 2 weeks in Alaska and I used the trip to try a bunch of things that I will be posting on. The first thing I wanted to discuss is my experience with a Borah Bug Bivy. The version I have is a long/wide model and I had a custom zipper setup installed. Anyway, I was just curious as to other's experiences with a bivy like this. Here are a couple of my observations:

1) When trying it out at home, it seemed like it would have plenty of room but "in the field" with my XLite pad and 30* EE quilt, I found that the interior space got fairly constricting pretty quickly. I move in my sleep and usually sleep on my side. One thing I was thinking about was to move the pad outside of the bivy not only for space reasons but also for reasons I will mention in my next point. Anyone else find it to be a little restricting or run the pad outside of the bivy?

2) It seemed like every night I was in a rodeo with the bivy. Every night I was on relatively flat ground but the combination of the pad inside the bivy (with silnylon floor) and then on top of a sheet of Tyvek caused me to be sliding around all over the place. I would often wake up to find that I had "rotated" in the bivy and would be laying on part of the bug netting. It would then take a bit of effort to get back to where I could get it unzipped.

3) The bivy has two stake loops at the foot but none at the head so I may add a couple to help keep it in place and in the correct orientation. However, if I stake it down, I may not have space under the bivy for the pad and have to keep it inside. Then again, perhaps it might work better to have the pad held in place tightly under the bivy. Anyone added additional stake points to a bivy to help hold it in place?

4) To reduce some of the slipping around, I plan to smear, drip, dot, etc. some silicone on the inside and/or outside of the silnylon bottom. I also need to do this to the bottom of my pad(s) and perhaps this would be a better place to start as it would help hold the pad in the bivy as well as other nests.

Overall I just wanted to post up these observations and see if anyone wanted to chime in with their experiences and suggestions.

OP
colonel00

colonel00

WKR
Oh, I'll probably post up some photos and videos. I don't really have a "hunt report" per se as this was more of a leisure trip with some fishing and a couple days where we attempted to find a black bear for my father. The bear hunt was fairly uneventful as the weather was pretty rough and I didn't want to push my father (who's in his late 60's) too hard in the elements.

Ben

WKR
I spent 7 nights in a Borah bivy this year. From experiences last year with a TI goat bivy I applied some gear aid silicone to the torso area of my sleeping pad on both sides. I had minimal slipping issues and spent a few of those nights on ground steep enough that I used my pack to keep me from rolling down the hill.

OP
colonel00

colonel00

WKR
Thanks Ben. How did you feel about the overall internal space of the bivy? Also, with the silicone on top of the pad, did you find you "stuck" to the pad at all? Do you move much when you sleep or mostly sleep on your back?

7mag.

WKR
I have a Borah M90 bivy,which I had 2 more stake loops added when I ordered. I have the long/wide version, and a long/wide pad with a 10° quilt. I like how roomy mine is. It is slippery though, I may add some seam grip to the inside of it.

OP
colonel00

colonel00

WKR
Does your pad take up pretty much the entire floor of the bivy? I have an M90 I picked up off the Mass Drop deal as well but I haven't taken time to compare the two. I might have to do that and take some pics.

Also, does anyone rig up the loop to hold it off your face? I have debated this but I haven't come up with a simple way to do this. I was thinking about using some thin elastic cord that would have some give as I moved around or climbed into the bivy. Then again, I was using it in a Cimarron and it didn't really have any convenient places to tie off to anyway.

Colonel, you need the Borah Bug Bivy I just received. I ordered a long wide model with extended side zip. I'm 6', 240, side sleeper using a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core pad and Sierra Designs Back Country bed bag. I made sure they built it big enough to not smother me in my sleep. It has stake loops on all four corners and a tab loop to pull it up off your head. John was great to work with and built it perfectly for the little extra room I needed. Think I paid $76 shipped but you can have it for $65 tyd. I'm leaving for CO in a few days so I can ship it quickly or in 2 weeks. It's brand new and I've decided to take a full tent with me. Just let me know.

7mag.

WKR
Brad, I'm using an Exped Downmat UL 7, long/wide and it does not take up all the floor of my bivy. I use small shock cord for the loop over my head. I can't remember the size, but it's close to 550 cord. I leave for a deer hunt in a couple days, I'll try and remember to take some pics of my setup inside the Cimarron.

Ben

WKR
Thanks Ben. How did you feel about the overall internal space of the bivy? Also, with the silicone on top of the pad, did you find you "stuck" to the pad at all? Do you move much when you sleep or mostly sleep on your back?

I have the regular length and width and I feel I have plenty of room. Seam grip has never made me feel stuck to the pad. I'd say I toss and turn a lot but start the night off on my back. Having stake loops added to the head sounds like a good idea but to be honest I've never used the stake loops on the bottom so I don't know if adding the, would be worth it for me. I couldn't be happier with my Borah bivy and highly recommend it, the hard part is deciding with option...

7mag.

WKR
Here is my long/wide M90 bivy with my long/wide Exped Downmat UL7 and 10° quilt inside. It's all stretched out to show how big it is.uploadfromtaptalk1443237865042.jpg

OP
colonel00

colonel00

WKR
Nice. I think maybe adding some loops at the head and some silicone to reduce the slipping will help quite a bit. When you have it setup like that, is the netting pretty taut on you face?

Your whole setup looks quite familiar too :D

IMGP5836_zpslgiz1ila.jpg

7mag.

WKR
I don't sleep in it stretched that tight. I usually tuck the bug net under my pad unless it's really buggy. I have slept with the bug net zipped up, and it didn't bother me because I sleep on my side or stomach.

dotman

WKR
I have an exped in long wide which is bigger then your pad, it doesn't take up all the floor space but I only have a few inches on each side of the solid floor. I had zero issues tossing and turning in it but I also never did zip it up, just used it to contain my pad and quilt. I also didn't slide or turn around in the tent, think that happened because you had slick tyvek and sil against each other, I just let my bivy be on the ground with my pad inside it for protection.

OP
colonel00

colonel00

WKR
Yeah, we'll have to compare. I somehow forgot that you had one.

Expeds are a little "rougher" or grippier material too compared to an Xlite too aren't they.