Bore Sighters

freebird

WKR
I can no longer pull the bolt out of my guns and look down the barrel to bore sight my rifle. My eye sight has gotten terrible.
What bore sighters have people used and had good success with.???
I have looked at the leupold zero point bore sighter, Randy Newberg says it works great.
I see several other brands.
So leaving out looking down the barrel, what other methods does everyone use.

Thank you all in advance.

Chuck

jr87mustang

Lil-Rokslider
I have tried the cheap red laser ones you get at the local sports stores and they seem to always suck.

tbotts

FNG
I use the Wheeler professional laser bore sighter. It works great. It attaches to your barrel via a magnetic base. I have not seen any damage to my barrel from using it on several rifles.

Jerry

FNG
I bought a Golden Future and like it. What ever brand you decide on get one with a green laser light, you can see it better than the red.

rayporter

WKR
take a cheap laser made for the muzzle and remove your bolt and then lay the laser in the action. the light will shine down the barrel and produce a spot on the wall.

to set up a chronograph do the same and hold a piece of paper [ or your hat] over the chrono.

by putting the laser in the action you accomplish a few things,
it cant hurt your barrels crown and you cant forget to remove it.

take a cheap laser made for the muzzle and remove your bolt and then lay the laser in the action. the light will shine down the barrel and produce a spot on the wall.

to set up a chronograph do the same and hold a piece of paper [ or your hat] over the chrono.

by putting the laser in the action you accomplish a few things,
it cant hurt your barrels crown and you cant forget to remove it.

Reread his post. First line in the post he says he can no longer remove his bolt.

OP
freebird

freebird

WKR
My post is kinda confusing. I can remove the bolt, my eye sight just does not let me look down the bolt/barrel and bore sight my rifle that way. There are some good idea's. Thank you all.

My post is kinda confusing. I can remove the bolt, my eye sight just does not let me look down the bolt/barrel and bore sight my rifle that way. There are some good idea's. Thank you all.

No problem- My reading comprehension was askew, and I jumped the gun with rayporter; He was 100% correct, and I was 100% wrong. Apologies to all.
I had a Bushnell bore-sighter, and now have a Tasco. Both are very similar, using the stud that fits the bore diameter, and you attach the instrument to it. When you look through the scope, you can see a grid pattern. You basically align the crosshairs to the center of the grid, and remove the stud from the bore. This only gets you "on paper", and should save you some ammo but you should still shoot the rifle and fine tune the zero.

OP
freebird

freebird

WKR
I bit the bullet....lol....and bought the leupold zero point bore sighter. Have not heard anything negative about it so thats a plus.
So as soon as I get my burris scope back from burris and mount it back on the 22-250 I will give the zero point a try.

rayporter

WKR
i have one of the bushnell s with the grid and steel spud that goes into the barrel. billy [my smith] chewed me out big time about putting the spud in my barrels,, [target barrels]. that is when i started to use the laser. it takes some fiddling to get the laser to shine down the barrel but it does work.

Biggs300

Lil-Rokslider
Freebird, I bought the Leupold zero point bore sighter, not long after it first came out. It always get's me on the target but I have found, at least for me, it is important to: (1) Use the lowest rings you can and make sure you take care in leveling your scope when mounting. (2) Measure the distance from your bore to the center of the objective lens on the scope and set the bore sighter up accordingly. I think I've had the Leupold for 3 years or so and I have not had to change the batteries in the device yet and I've probably mounted or re-sighted 15 or 20 scopes. I do understand that changing the batteries can be a bit difficult. I think you will be happy with it.

Stud Duck

Lil-Rokslider
I use the Leupold unit as well. As stated above it works and works well just follow the instructions. Changing batteries is not an issue either, just slide the cover in the appropriate direction, remove old batteries, install new, slide cover in the opposite direction; the instruction manual will cover this.