Born and Raised Broadhead Test

Sorry slinger

Lil-Rokslider
This is where the very last sentence in my post comes in handy, I guess we would have to assume it was bolted down. I’m not concerned too much with any of because I know what sort of accuracy i achieve with my current head choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
agree

Btaylor

WKR
The accuracy portion of their testing was the least relevant to me. The other three do have relevance though for the most part. A couple of the mechanical findings I thought were off based on a fairly significant amount of live animal testing LOL. The G5 Deadmeat head for me opened on impact, entry and exit virtually the same, on 3 deer and an elk. Dont know exactly how many deer I have shot with spitfires but it is more than a couple and the entrance holes have always been better than the cardboard test seem to indicate. But they have always been smaller than exit.

I think I would have rather seen them set the bow up on the light side of things rather than the heavy. The combo they used will put an arrow through any animal in North America with plenty of giddy up to spare. I think a 28" draw, 55-60 lb bow with a 375-400 grain arrow would have been a more educational test for penetration.

OCHO505

Lil-Rokslider
Its even more puzzling when the two broad heads hit 1" apart and the field tip is 3" right and 3" high. I kind of scratched my head on this part...

Also when they say Ramcat or Grim Reaper... Which one. LOL

I give it up they are trying and pretty much every test will leave someone desiring more or I would have done this instead. But its hard to do a perfect test to appease all!

I mean John Lusk shoots block to check the toughness of the broad heads and people say, "since I don't hunt cinder block, this isn't helpful" LOL

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
But its hard to do a perfect test to appease all!

Do they have to appease all? Do they even have to put it on the internet? There's only one person that a test should appease, and that's themselves.

Whenever I see videos posted most the time all they do is show their shortcomings. They're never as meticulous with tuning as I am, they certainly aren't as OCD as I am, and they always seem to accept mediocrity.

Mike7

WKR
I find these tests very interesting....and a lot better than reading forums where 40 different people give 40 different opinions on what broadheads are the best. I think these tests are great, because everything is out in the open, and then a person can decide for themselves what is most important.

The accuracy test seemed to be pretty clear to me, and I came away with a different sense of things compared to some of the above comments.

Lets see, they shot a good field point group to start with. They mentioned the potential effect of wind and changing winds during the test while shooting outside. You can clearly see that the wind is greater at certain points during the test. The field point is repeatedly shot throughout the test period, so that you can see that a few times during the test even the field point is likely being affected by the wind. Many broadheads during the test grouped fairly well together, but not with the field point. Some broadheads didn't quite have as tight of a group together, but were closer to the field point. And then you had a couple of heads at least, admittedly some during low wind times seemingly because the grass wasn't moving and the field point was dead center, that hit not only right with the field point, but also very close together.

I like the penetration test, because it is a consistent material, even if not simulating an animal.

The shoulder blade test was interesting also, but seems to introduce the most variability, because just small changes in shot angle, exactly where the broadhead hits the bone, and arrow wt/broadhead combination as mentioned above could play a significant role in these results.

Last edited:

wapitibob

WKR
I watched cabe johnson (spott hogg) get his sight marks with his hooter shooter so they'll repeat just fine if you know what you're doing. How they're anchored is key.

I've been a big muzzy fan since I bought my first set back in 2004. And I think I'll keep using them. They just seem to fly well for me. I want to be able to fletch a 4 fletch arrow... currently only able to fletch 3 right now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OCHO505

Lil-Rokslider
Do they have to appease all? Do they even have to put it on the internet? There's only one person that a test should appease, and that's themselves.

Whenever I see videos posted most the time all they do is show their shortcomings. They're never as meticulous with tuning as I am, they certainly aren't as OCD as I am, and they always seem to accept mediocrity.

No they don't... But they are making video's for the masses they are looking for views, that's a part of their company, logo and so on. So in a way yes, but not they don't have to appease all.

It is to appease themselves as well that's why they all use different broad heads, some of the ones they individually picked sucked on some of the tests.

According to their video they were shooting shaft into shaft hole with the hooter shooter. How exactly they got there is definitely a question.

Anytime one posts: methods, results and opinion your gonna have fair share of disagreeing just the way the world is...

I just listed to a Kifaru Podcast were Gilllinham basically disagrees with 90% of how we tune our bows. That's its important to do our on work, field testing and tuning even find the best fletchings for specific bh's.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I just listed to a Kifaru Podcast were Gilllinham basically disagrees with 90% of how we tune our bows. That's its important to do our on work, field testing and tuning even find the best fletchings for specific bh's.

Is that ^^^^ not how you do it? I haven't listened to any podcasts, but that's pretty much how I do it. But I'm a tester........I like trying new things.

Beendare

WKR
Its pretty simple; if you can't get a BH to group with an FP.. ....it tells you the bow tuning is off [or you have a form issue]

Just because a hooter shooter or pro can shoot an FP in the same hole...it doesn't mean the bow is tuned....it just means they are doing the exact same thing every time....the arrow can still be coming out of the bow slightly cockeyed.

So any test without confirming BH tune...is pretty much worthless, IMO.

OCHO505

Lil-Rokslider
Its pretty simple; if you can't get a BH to group with an FP.. ....it tells you the bow tuning is off [or you have a form issue]

Just because a hooter shooter or pro can shoot an FP in the same hole...it doesn't mean the bow is tuned....it just means they are doing the exact same thing every time....the arrow can still be coming out of the bow slightly cockeyed.

So any test without confirming BH tune...is pretty much worthless, IMO.

Maybe so but you are in the minority... You think because you hop on Rokslide or AT and talk with a bunch of other avid knowledge filled hunters they are all that way? The people that are solid in these categories are far and few between when considering the amount of bowhunters in the equation. That couldn't be further from the truth. I help in a shop and see things (all the time not sometimes) that would blow your mind regarding bows in general and lets not even get into the tuning or shooting ability of some.

I can hear your thinking its their fault and the shops. And well, to a point I agree but after doing this for soo long its not likely going to change. Your basic statement reaches the few who agree with you because they know better but the masses that done are influenced more so by that BRO video and youtube than you or I will ever have.

So, like it or not these videos are more relative to people in the dark than you and I's experience of say 60 years.

I hear maybe 1out of 50 people say so and so on AT or Rokslide recommend me to X broad head. But I hear what's the broad head on X show or BRO is shooting or Jim Burnworth is using etc every day.

Everyone has different methods and the shootability has much relativety to this. Totally agree and understand. Rest bumping to accomplish the very thing you are talking about is backed by soo many so called Pro Hunters specifically on youtube and Eastmans which blows my mind becaue the guy doing their videos works on his own bows and doesn't know what Top Hats are apparently...

It takes time and effort to make the videos and in that regard I appreciate them. I still like them and watch them and know if they get 2" groups at 60 I will really have some greaat luck with it. Fact is the method they used is used more than any method we likely do. I have never shot a broad head that won't hit even a wobbler. The forgiveness goes down but they will still impact well.

To me there information at least puts some common sense out and possibly lends the idea that even with an untuned or partially tuned bow X broad heads hit well. I like that better than blind guessing which is what I see the majority of time...

Aren't they sponsored by Day Six? They're going to be shooting that BH come September regardless of the outcome of this test. If I'm not mistaken, they didn't shoot the Day Six BH last year because it wasn't available yet, but I may be wrong.

And for the weight consistency test, it would make a lot more sense for them to measure the variance in weights between the 3 heads for each brand then to rate them for which is closest to 125. You could have brand x that has 3 weights of 120, 125 and 130 for a perfect average of 125 but in reality 2 of the heads are 10 grains apart which would greatly affect consistency as opposed to brand y whose three heads weigh 129.1 129.4 and 129.1, which averages at 129.2. Consistent weight once you're sighted in is more important than average weight.

Btaylor

WKR
They recorded all that info and when the spreadsheets get posted, you will have the info to sort as you see fit. I agree with your thinking though that consistency in weight is more important to consistent shooting than who got close to the advertised weight.

Just watched them all...the final assessment of their data and ranking overall at the end of durability video is skewed. Why would they give more credence point wise to their consistency test(weight) than durability test?

When it came to the durability test they just gave a pass(21points) or fail(zero)? Then even when a bleeder blade broke twice, D6 Evo, on both aluminum and cinder block they gave it a pass, full 21 points as others that didn’t.

They needed to be way more nuanced with a sliding scale with the durability test. I can balance my arrows other components which seem to vary more to get finished arrows that weight 1grain of each other. Who can even tell shooting wise a difference of 3grains anyways?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

worx53

WKR
I appreciate the effort- couple things I noticed- At the end of one video (I think accuracy) there is a long session of spin testing-- and I'm sure I see one of their test arrows wobbles consistently with many different heads like it has a tweaked insert- check it out.
Also- I think in the same video the field point group at the beginning was decent but then the field point single shot with broadhead groups was all over that target- nowhere as consistent as the first group of field point arrows. So something seems askew besides wind.

Beendare

WKR
I'm not knocking the Born and raised guys- I like them.

Maybe so but you are in the minority...
....[ drastically abreviated]

To me there information at least puts some common sense out and possibly lends the idea that even with an untuned or partially tuned bow X broad heads hit well. I like that better than blind guessing which is what I see the majority of time...

I don't get what you are going on about........that is OK for guys to shoot arrows in an untuned bow??? Sure a guy can shoot what he wants but he should understand that its asking for a % of accuracy and woundings in the field.

I post info for the guys that are trying to understand...[in case a guy wants to improve his system] not the guys that ALREADY understand.

Its an important distinction between tuning and that a hooter shooter can shoot an untuned arrow consistently in the same spot....

Broadheads and arrows just have to hit where I'm aiming and be sharp enough to penetrate hide and muscle and possibly light bone. How it survives a shot into cinder block doesn't matter since it will be destroyed as far as I'm concerned. Won't be used for anything else anyway. Watched a little of their tests but quit when I was bored with the repetitive shooting and shooting.