Bosque del Oso

I'm trying to figure out which season to apply for 851; Bosque Del Oso tag. Have 22 points currently...just curious about snow depth in November for 3rd season as that's my first choice. However, if someone can tell me otherwise on the 2nd season i may go to that one. I spoke with Bob Holder and he gave me a lot of info, now im just looking for personal experiences.

Plan on going down for shed opener to check out the area as well.

TIA.

Deerhunter6250

Lil-Rokslider
Hunted bear there last year and never saw or heard an elk. The elk hunters I talked to all said most elk where on private. The one I heard of that someone shot died on private after the hunter recieved permission to go after it and shoot it again. I would hunt some where else. You can PM me if you want more info.

PassCreek

FNG
I wouldn’t spend 22 points on the Bosque. I hunted Turkeys there and wasn’t super impressed. A lot of oil and gas drilling, shed hunters and people camping. It just wasn’t what I was expecting. I talked to a game warden and he said some elk hunters hadn’t even seen an elk when they hunted there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
My opinion is there is too much surrounding private land and too close to a lot of weekend recreationers.

OP
C
Thanks for input. Im looking for people that have hunted 2nd/3rd season on the Bosque. theres a reason it takes 21 points...I know the bulls winter in there, i want to know if 3rd is early/late.

The main issue is if the elk are not on the Bosque you are hosed. The Bosque has the potential to be great. You say that "there's a reason it takes 21 points" however it takes years once a gmu has fallen off to lose the mystique and point value. They issue very few tags every year, 8 archery, 5 ML, 5 each for 1st-4th. 33 tags is not a lot of people and say MAYBE 5 people fill their tags? That is not enough bad reviews every year to overtake the internet stigma. So point values stay in place.

Also, you are not even a contender for 3rd season. It took 25 points last year and that was a 50% chance. So the person who lost the coin flip has 26pp. So you are years out from drawing a 3rd season Bosque tag.

I was going to hunt in the Bosque during archery season years ago but changed my mind and have switched my game plan.

I would be more inclined to hunt a different gmu if I was you.

Deerhunter6250

Lil-Rokslider
The guys I talked to used lots of points and had no success. From what I saw I wouldn't use any points to hunt there.

Hunterbug

FNG
Did you apply for this hunt and if so, did you draw? My daughter drew one of the 3rd season either sex youth tags.

Deerhunter6250

Lil-Rokslider
I'm trying to figure out which season to apply for 851; Bosque Del Oso tag. Have 22 points currently...just curious about snow depth in November for 3rd season as that's my first choice. However, if someone can tell me otherwise on the 2nd season i may go to that one. I spoke with Bob Holder and he gave me a lot of info, now im just looking for personal experiences.

Plan on going down for shed opener to check out the area as well.

TIA.
Did you make it down to shed hunt? If so what did you think of the area?

Hunted bear there last year and never saw or heard an elk. The elk hunters I talked to all said most elk where on private. The one I heard of that someone shot died on private after the hunter recieved permission to go after it and shoot it again. I would hunt some where else. You can PM me if you want more info.
So I drew the Bosque Del Oso for third rifle this year. So no elk or lots of elk here I come! Most of the Southern exposures are fairly open to allow for some glassing. If you had the tag in your pocket would you be walking the extraction roads and glassing or would you be in the timber? Do the elk shy away from the extraction areas, wells and roads, or is it unobjectionable to them? Thanks for your insight.

Deerhunter6250

Lil-Rokslider
There was bear, deer and elk hunters there when I was there. I feel the pressure moved the elk to private. I would hunt on areas you can hike in a ways close to the private boundaries. Some of the roads are closed and you can only access them on foot. Your season will be later than mine so hopefully the elk will move back in for you. Third rifle is later this year so depending on temperatures the wells might be good. Good luck

Hunterbug

FNG
So I drew the Bosque Del Oso for third rifle this year. So no elk or lots of elk here I come! Most of the Southern exposures are fairly open to allow for some glassing. If you had the tag in your pocket would you be walking the extraction roads and glassing or would you be in the timber? Do the elk shy away from the extraction areas, wells and roads, or is it unobjectionable to them? Thanks for your insight.
My daughter drew the same tag. If you want to compare notes PM me.

Hunterbug

FNG
I looked and there will be 17 total hunters there during our season. 5 bear, 2 youth elk, 5 bull elk, and 5 cow elk. Which tag did you draw?

Hunterbug

FNG
Plus all the hikers and other recreationalists...
Perhaps. But we're hunting 3rd season which starts November 13th. I can't see a lot of them running around then. But then this will be my first time hunting there so I could be wrong. I'll know more in a few weeks when I get down there scouting.

Hunterbug

FNG
Hunt hard. Dont give up and let us know how you do.
I will. I'm just the carrier of stuff. My daughter is the one who actually gets to shoot. Is there any water on the property other than the rivers? I see Bingham Lake but from looking on Google earth it looks empty.

Deerhunter6250

Lil-Rokslider
The year i hunted bear there was some water in tiny creeks in the drainages. I also found a wallow back in on a road I walked 2 miles to get to.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrAP