BOSS 1 1/2oz load 3 inch number 5 shot (Amazing Load)

Mike76

FNG
WELL!! Gentleman I made up my mind and did it. After finding a Box from a friend of a friend whom also shoots Number 5 BOSS
Loads He sold me a Box.
First BOSS has right now in stock 3 inch 2s-3s-5s shot 1 1/2 loads available.
I went directly to there site and chatted with them a little more in Length and decided to get the 3 inch 1 1/2 number 5s. Ordered them direct from them and will be here in 5 days.
Let me tell you they are as stated amazing shells. According to them they have patterned all there shells.
As we have all mentioned all our shotguns are different like each of us as individuals.
Of coarse the first thing I did was go right out to the range and patterned these shells
Benelli SBE2 3.5 inch 28 inch Barrel. First Improved Mod, then Full, last Modified.
Imp mod shot extremely well at 30 yrds about 89 % and at 40 about 79 % so with a number 5 shot I was extremely happy.
Next the Full at 30 yrds 90% and at 40 82% That blew me out of the water.
So for the Hell left the Full in and tested it at 50 let me tell you Gentlemen it wasn't bad at 50 with 59% with some flyers.
Next and last was the Modifies at 30 was close to the Im MOd at 85% but at 40 dropped to about 70% all the shots had good penetration shooting into Door skins.
Everything BoSS indicated was darn close actually closer then what I thought with them shooting there Benelli SBE they were at 95% at 30 and a little higher then my 90% at 40 again they were a little higher then my 82 as they cam in at 87%.
No more wondering as these shells are a great load. Those whom think different I don't know what to say after I shot them..
So gentleman I appreciate all your feed back That led me in a great direction that puts me back to my old 6s or darn close. The Boss Team according to the gentleman I spoke with shoot the 5 load also and indicated they are a great load and went back to the old school and wanted to load something that was close to the number 6 lead back in the day loads.. Boy they are so close. Now We will see in the field as I don't have any issues thinking these shells will be deadly. The other great part of this whole thing is Now I can if I choose go to my Browning A5 and not worry about the old full barrel. Excited.. Thank You Gentleman.
Hunter73

dtrkyman

WKR
Glad they worked out for ya, I was eyeing the 1oz loads for ducks, but may switch to 20ga for ducks next year?

OP
Mike76

Mike76

FNG
Glad they worked out for ya, I was eyeing the 1oz loads for ducks, but may switch to 20ga for ducks next year?
dtrkyman
Bet that would be a great! It is and was amazing seeing the performance of these shells.. Kinda in disbelief if ya know what I mean.
As much as we have been through with these steel shells from the beginning to where they are know is know comparassin. It really is great when someone like the BOSS manufacturers are really stepping up to get us back to the Lead shells we once were able to use.
I had good luck with my Hevi Steel But they blew apart over about 33 yrds or so. I really wanted something that would shoot out there at 40 and the one thing BOSS People do is pattern these shells out to 50 as I did.
In most cases it never comes to those long of shots until later in the season. We usually start getting Birds from up north in Mid December through January. Our early Birds wise up pretty fast.
If anyone is looking for shells its nice to know we can also go directly to BOSS and purchase shells.. They sell out as fast as they are producing them so that in itself says something about the BOSS shells.
they indicated they had right now 12ga 2s-3s-5s on hand.
Thanks for the come back and good hunting to you.. hunter73

dtrkyman

WKR
I never paid much attention to the steel alternatives, always shot decoying birds and really could not afford anything else when I started. I hunted field geese a lot!!! Got a deal on some HTL shells and OMG what a difference, that stuff is incredible! Was shocked at the difference.

I was always under the impression that steel outperformed most shooters, still think it does but there was a noticeable difference with that heavier shot!

OP
Mike76

Mike76

FNG
I never paid much attention to the steel alternatives, always shot decoying birds and really could not afford anything else when I started. I hunted field geese a lot!!! Got a deal on some HTL shells and OMG what a difference, that stuff is incredible! Was shocked at the difference.

I was always under the impression that steel outperformed most shooters, still think it does but there was a noticeable difference with that heavier shot!
dtrkyman
I agree with you on the fact that steel does probably out shoot most shooters.. It is so fast compared to the old lead shells I think a lot of guys just don't take that 1 point into being a huge issue with guys when they first start shooting Steel.
Heavier shot I agree does a much better job. Take this number 5 shot That BOSS is loading. It patterns exceptional out of my Benelli and over the top with a full choke and the improved Modified is also exceptional. I for one like the pellet numbers compared to 2s -3s and four shot. And Yes I'm not shooting Geese at 50 ducks maybe but my shots also are close.
As I mentioned at 30 my regular steel was good but when i started shooting a little further it went to Hell.
I have always shot 6 shot old school a long time ago and killed Ducks and Geese and Pheasant. With just that one load. Since we had to go to steel, sure it shoots good but when the chips are down and your forced to shoot a little further you better be on your game. Nothing wrong with that. That is what makes it interesting, Know whether your shooting or not.
so with these BOSS shells greater density, the weight is there and then the amount of shot out there gives the Hunter a way better opportunity.
Yes more expense but supposedly your shooting less shells per bird. That we will see and with the patterns I'm getting I believe that whole heartedly.
Where are you located? Am I seeing in the name maybe Kentucky?
Well sir always nice chatting with you and thanks for the come back.. Hunter73

spur60

Lil-Rokslider
@hunter73 I see you posted the pattern percentages, could you post up your pellet counts and how you acquired them? Were you going off published load info from Boss, or did you cut your own to verify? I shot a mix of bismuth this fall on waterfowl and roosters; mainly loads from Hevi & Kent. All loads performed as expected; a little better pattern density vs equivalent steel loads at range (bismuth 5's vs steel 4's or 3's, bismuth 3's vs steel 2's or 1's.) I did shoot a handful of Boss I snagged from a buddy. Seemed to perform in line with the other bismuth loads, but I didn't have enough to pattern and hunt with. I was not impressed with the penetration of boss 5's on the two roosters I shot vs what I get from the same load of lead 5's at similar speed. I like what Boss is doing as a company though and hope they can maintain production and be successful for years to come.
I doubt I'll shoot much more bismuth though except if I bust out the fixed full wingmaster next season. Bismuth just doesn't give me the wow like tungsten does, but depending on how steel shot prices out next season vs. handloading tungsten, I'll likely shoot a few boxes of bismuth just to change it up. I can imagine for guys that have only shot steel, switching to bismuth and dropping down a shot size or two can be exciting when they feel they are making better shots. I felt the same way the first season I shot a significant amount of tungsten, especially when I switched to a patternmaster choke.
Too bad the ammo shortage hit when it did. Had it not, I would have loved to see closeout pricing on the hevishot lines that got discontinued when they got bought out. Love me some tungsten 4's and 2's on the days that the snow geese just want to hang out at fringe range over the decoys. Oh well. Now that I can find primers again, I guess I'll have to load some HW13 and TSS to satisfy the tungsten itch. I'd like to see how the Boss 3's perform on roosters, maybe I'll order some yet this winter and poke a few snow geese this spring with them as well, see if I like them better through my briley EXR choke vs my patternmaster.

OP
Mike76

Mike76

FNG
Hi There Spur60
Thanks for the Comeback!
Spur60, No I got all the information from BOSS then went out after acquiring some BOSS Number 5 loads and did my own Patterning. I dont have the targets any longer to count out the number of pellets. I was very very impressed as mentioned in comparison to the Hevi and Federal patterns. Same goes for the Kents.
I like yourself have played around for some time just trying to find that load that passifies my needs.
Tungsten is just to over the top in pricing, BOSS is expensive enough as is most Bismuth loads.
Saving a buck or two and still getting what I was looking for make a happy camper sorta speak out of me.
I Have been shooting Hevi steel for quite some time and Federal before that. Shot some Kent but did not shoot well for me. So I went back to Hevi Loads and as I mentioned in past reports did well. infact very well out to about 30-35 then it blew up on me. But could and can not complain about the way it shot at those closer ranges.
You hit it on the head when you indicated when you need those longer shots your Tungsten loades do the job.
Im very old school and again as indicated in past post that I was a Number 6 lead shooter and did so for many, many years. Loading my own and purchasing loads it was the shot that I considered the best for me. I simply loved it, shot everything from Pheasant, Grouse, Ducks and Geese. and lots of them.
For me its the fact that BOSS is doing a little more then most Manufactures, By copper coating all there shells, testing each shell manufactured so that we can go back to the older full chokes, If I might need the old auto 5 3 inch 32 in Barrel goose gun I don't need to be afraid of hurting the ol girl, that I shot for literally year and years.
I will be doing more patterning and will get you the count out of pellets start and finished numbers of pellets.
Now I was a little more impressed with the penetration I got as I was backed with 1/4" plywood. close there were no problems at all and of coarse as we backed out the penetration was not as deep but on birds I would have not a problem worrying about that. If that pattern stays as good as it shot for me there is no bird escaping through those patterns.
You know as well as I, a lot depends on the beholder on a lot of shots. If we can cover our birds we will kill it and when we dont we seem to get more cripples or lost birds. You Hunt Pheasant and crippling a bird in the Beets or Corn or Milo without a great dog they will run out of site when they hit the ground.
to put it mildly after patterning my Benelli with BOSS number 5 shot 3in, in 1 1/2 loads I called back and ordered a case. So for me It is what I will shot and expire my Hevi steel number 3s along with it.
As you mentioned and I also hope they continue doing well and keeping on top of there loads.
There are a lot of sportsmen talking more and more about these BOSS loads and doing very well with it.
I'm not a fan even though I hear good things about it an that is the 3/5 load. I want the extra pellets.
thanks for the come back Hunter73

OP
Mike76

Mike76

FNG
Hi Again Spur60
Well Sir! I went back out so I could get you a little more information on that BOSS Load.
Not much at all if any change from what I had Patterned the first time around. In fact a little better with my full choke. I had a 91% over a 90% the first go around. Not much but anything Better is Better.
I shot all the rounds at 30-40 and a full at 50. I used my full choke, my improved Modified and modified chokes. Non of the three are after market chokes and are the choke that came with my Benelli. In the Past I had religiously used my Modified more so then My Improver Mod and only used the full when shooting Geese. The Modified shot my Hevi Steel and Federal Loads the Best when Patterned. They did very well with those loads at 30 and Blew up at 40 as mentioned previously. That was shooting #2s out of Federal Steel and Number 3s from my Hevi Steel Loads.
I shoot a over a 30" circle on target at 30 - 40-and 50 yrd range. Number of pellets at start in Casing and again Pellets on target.
on line are in circle. full choke at 30 most would just look at the target walk away and say it good and if you shot it you'd see what I mean by that. Most pellets are inside the circle and tight. It really is a Booster when entering the field because now we can't blame the shells its on us at that point. realistically its easier to blame the shells then ourselves. But! with all the hype about this load and that load and the Bad start steel got its great to see it's coming around to where the blame is not always the shells.
Each number 5 BOSS round puts out right around 285 pellets and your right at 260 pellets inside a 30" circle Full choke that's impressive and yes we all know were going to open up as we open up our chokes. Overall I will go to my Improved Modified which is right at 78% at 40 and still great at 30. This is right up my line of where I really want to be.
Spur I hope this info helps out a little? But sounds like your pretty comfortable with your tungsten loads. For each of us it matters not what I shoot or you shoot or Joe snobs shoots, It is what make each one of us happy with what we are shooting. Isn't that all that matters? I have always been one to go to the extreme before I purchase or get where I want to be as a shooter. I hope I have found my nitch a closer to my old school number 6 lead shells.
Thank You Sir good Hunting and good shooting. Hunter73

Attachments

• P2260004.JPG
    P2260004.JPG
    341.6 KB · Views: 9

Wags

WKR
I've shot a few cases of Bismuth out of my 16 & 20 ga's the last few years. It's definitely legit out of those 2 guns. It patterns far better than steel and I feel more comfortable with certain angles that I'll get the penetration I need to make a clean kill VS steel.

I'll be loading several cases this off season.

OP
Mike76

Mike76

FNG
Wags
After receiving my Case of BOSS #5 and Pattering the load in my Benelli I was able to do a few of the last days of Duck season Here in Oregon and it was the first Bismuth I had shot and It definitely did the Job.
The remarkable theory of the BOSS load was the 35-40 yrd shots. Deadly to say the least.
Very happy and cant wait till next Duck Goose and Brant season to roll around.
Your so right a far as the difference on steel VS Bismuth from my perspective on Patterns.
As I see it ya cant got wrong with the Bismuth. This Copper coated Bismuth makes a huge difference as far as being able to use the older shot guns that have been put away since the steel was introduced.
I'll pattern the Boss out of my old Auto 5 Browning which I love to shoot..
Thank You Sir for the reply and good shooting to you... Hunter73