BOSS SHOTGUN SHELLS!

Mike76

FNG
GENTLMAN!
BOSS shotgun shells! Out of a Benelli SBE2? Modified>or Full Choke!
Has anyone patterned the BOSS>12 GA 3/5 shot 3 inch 1 1/2 oz load or the #5 shot 3 in 1 1/2 oz load out of there Benelli or Browning A5?
Even though the shells are much Higher then what I'm shooting now, Hevi Steel> 12 ga 3 in 1 1/4 oz 3 shot.
I'm thinking very heavily after my last Post about going in that Direction.
I have heard from many shooting many different Steel shot gun shells. With In fact the largest majority chatting about the BOSS Steel Loads with the 3/5 shot being in most posts.
Growing up, my main shot was a Number 6 load. Of coarse lead and trying to match those loads seems impossible with Steel, But with this BOSS Copper Coated shot in 3 in 1 1/2" loads sounds pretty good. I'd like to hear that from guys shooting it.
I was hoping also that the Number 5 Boss Load would match out to be a pretty decent load. As I don't know what to think about a 3/5 load
I'm looking for the Load to do its job out to 40 yrds and hold a decent pattern and this is what I'm hearing with the 3/5 load by BOSS. It seems thou that that #5 load with the extra pellets would hold it own?
My number 3 shot in the Hevi Steel does a great Job at 30 yrds but beyond that pattern really start to open up..
I'm just will not shot it over 30-35 and cripple a bunch of birds. With that it puts me out of letting a lot of birds fly on.
Also with the copper coated BOSS loads if I want to pick up my Browning A% at a full choke I can do exactly that and not worry about the barrel.
I'm now using a Modified choke with my Hevi load out of my Benelli SBE2 28 in barrel 3 1/2in chamber.
I'd love to know if anyone out there is shooting this load and there thoughts.
Also with a full choke. .
Also I have heard why the 3 in when the 2 3/4 in will do the job with the BOSS Loads..
More pellets little heavied load and if it patterns well then go with it.. I also like that copper coated Load. I can go to a full choke if need be and what they are saying that those shells shot out to 40-50 with great success. I'm hunting mostly Mallards and Canadian Honkers.
But still I want to hear from the guys that are shooting it before I spend a bunch and order a case when its out..
Please any help here is much appreciated... Thank You gentleman

I have a 28 gauge that I decided to try out on ducks. 7/8oz of 4's and a carlson Full choke. Wacked 6 of the last 7 ducks i ripped the trigger on ranging from 10-50 yards.

Boss has stated that tight chokes work great for their shot

Redwing

Lil-Rokslider
I've been shooting BOSS since they came on the market three seasons ago. They're definitely superior to steel loads and I love them, but they're not lead. Some thoughts after shooting through several cases and seeing my three regular hunting companions shoot through several more:

-The number 5s aren't quite enough for geese unless you can get them in real tight and you always hit birds in the head/neck.
-The 3" number 3/5s are killers, and I've taken some geese with those, but I'd still prefer the #3s or #2s for a dedicated goose load.
-The 3" #3/5s kick. Hard. They would be my choice for a long-range duck load. I like birds in my face so I don't shoot the #3/5s much, but I can see them being damn effective in certain applications.
-The 2 3/4" #4s are the best load for the hunting I do, which is 90% big duck shooting with the occasional bonus goose.
-The 2 3/4" #5s are the best teal load on the planet that doesn't cost four bucks a shell. It's also a great widgeon load, but if I'm shooting widgeon then there are often mallards around and I prefer the #4s for mallard.
-Bismuth pellets, even the copper plated loads of the last 18 months, are prone to fragment upon impact and entry. How does that effect change lethality? I think it kills more gut shot birds than steel does and does it more quickly. How does this effect my hunting? If I hit a bird but it keeps going I watch it very carefully. I've seen quite a few ducks take a body hit with BOSS, fly off strong, then fold in the air or glide to a rough landing 150-300 yards away. Those birds took pellet fragments through the lungs or guts, flew off like they were fine, then expired several seconds later. This happens with steel, too, but it seems more frequent with BOSS.

Regarding patterns: They pattern more open than steel, generally, but not as open as lead. I have a modified in my Beretta for most of my hunts. A friend has the best results in his Benelli with an improved modified. That's with the 2 3/4" shells, we haven't patterned the 3/5s yet.

Last edited:
Just wanted to add to this thread. This will be my first season shooting Boss shells. I ordered some 3" #2s for goose loads and some 2 3/4" #5s for ducks. I'm really excited to see how they perform. I plan to take them out and shoot a couple patterns through different chokes before season.

I would like to give kudos to the Boss customer service. I placed my order, and I had an email with shipping confirmation in less than half an hour (probably more like ~15minutes), They were ON it. Happy to support such a company, I hope the shells live up to the expectations.

spur60

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't tried the new boss warchief loads but I did pattern the 3" 3's two years ago. Wasn't anything to write home about in regards to pattern. If I was shooting sub-gauge I'd probably shoot more bismuth, but for 12 gauge, I'd rather just shoot cheap steel or spring for the occasional box of tungsten.

This is my third season shooting boss shells. Shoot 4s/5s out of 12ga & 20ga. Shooting 5s out of my 28ga this season and love it. From teal to swans I haven't found a need for anything else. I'll never go back to steel for waterfowl.

Just curious what guys think between the 3/5s vs 4s? I have been shooting 4s and they seem pretty good. Just wondering if I'm missing anything with the 3/5s.

Wheels

WKR
I'm just a dumb redneck, so maybe I just don't understand the 3/5 deal. How can a #3 and a #5 pellet fly the same speed from the same shell. Wouldn't the larger diameter shot be both heavier and larger in diameter, thus fly slower?

I have been shooting Boss #5's in 20 ga for 2 years. They kill pheasants. I shot #5's in 28 ga last year too. Same thing. Dead birds.
In my opinion, duplex loads with bismuth has no merit. I you mixed steel or bismuth with TSS that would make more sense. Their idea is that the 5 shot would retain velocity at further range than 3 shot, but not kenetic energy.

Dos XX

WKR
Classified Approved
In my opinion, duplex loads with bismuth has no merit. I you mixed steel or bismuth with TSS that would make more sense. Their idea is that the 5 shot would retain velocity at further range than 3 shot, but not kenetic energy.
To me, it seems like the 3/5 would cause shot stringing. You can't see that on a pattern board.

Like I said, the 5's kill roosters. I am staying with them.

IdahoElk

WKR
I have 6 boxes of Boss 20ga #5 2 3/4" copper plated ordered by mistake if anyone is interested PM me and I'll give you a good deal.

I'm using copper 7's for Chukar and they have been great.

Clarson757

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve shot 20ga Muller passing choke - #3/5 & #5 for ducks. #7 on quail, dove and a few pheasants actually. 12ga I've shot with Carlsons MR - #3/5 on ducks and geese, #5 on ducks.

They all are deadly. From what I’ve heard from Brandon at BOSS, the #3/5 duplex was something he was initially against. But, realized there was less deformation of pellets. Also, the similarities in results between the #4 and #3/5 is practically identical.

Taking my 20ga out tomorrow with #7 and muller decoy choke for some tight quail action. Wednesday hitting ducks with 12ga, BOSS #3/5 and Carlsons MR.

gearguywb

WKR
I have been shooting them for several years. 3" 3/5 duplex load for ducks, 2's for big geese. Great results from both.

For the OP.....it doesn't matter how a shell patterns in someone else's gun. That has no bearing on how it will pattern inn yours. Kind of like buying ammo because it shot well in someone else's rifle.

Mod choke is more than sufficient with any steel/heavy type of pellet shell. One of the things many folks don't realize is what pellet deformation does. Tighter chokes can cause deformation (pellet loosing the round" shape). When that happens, you may well end up with a fairly tight pattern, but with holes in it.