Bottom Base and insulation layers - Brooks range

I am going on my first sheep hunt starting August 10th, 2020 in the Brooks range. Starting to work on my gear list. For those of you with experience, what base layer bottoms do you pack and do you also pack additional insulation like the KUIU super down?
Thanks,
Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WolfeSW

FNG
I was there this year the last week of August. The Kuiu 97 zip off bottoms were indispensable under a pair of Talus pants. Puffy jacket with me at all times. Puffy pants would have been a luxury, but not certain how much I would have used them. I kept a pair of 210 zip offs at spike camp just in case, but only used them to sleep in.

I was in the Alaska Range the first half of September. I made a couple of last minute decisions based upon the weather forecast. I brought my Kuiu Pro Pants instead of my Talus. I brought my Peloton 145s instead of my Merino 210 bottoms. NOTE: I did bring the ULTRA Down bottoms.

If the forecast would have been for colder and/or wetter weather I would have brought the Talus. Do not overlook your pants for additional warmth. Too warm a pant and you'll bake when moving and climbing.

I slept in the Peloton bottoms; never wore them while in the field. The down pants stayed in my pack the entire time.

By and large the only time you'll need leg insulation is when you are stationary. No way I'd wear them while moving and/or climbing.

When it is all said and done, you can only bring so much. I figure that if any combination of my layers (top and bottom) won't cover it, then I'd just suffer through it.

PS Do not forget to open the hip vents when moving. Do not forget to close the hip vents once you stopped moving.

Kotaman

WKR
For base layers in August in the brooks, I take Sitka lightweight base layers. You definitely want a puffy jacket and I even carry down puffy pants. You can see just about anything for weather up there that time of year.

kphunter

FNG
I was there in September. I prefer a merino base, it doesn’t get quite as terrible smelling. A puffy of some kind is essential some guys even like 2. I never have used puffy pants but if your doing tons of glassing I can see they would be nice.

joshgrigg

FNG
Was in northern brooks last season August 10-24th. Kuiu peloton 97 zip off base layer was a must have. I never took them off. Slept in them to dry out.

Kuiu ultra down zip off pants were also essential. Great to put on over your pants while around camp or glassing. Put your rain pants over the top if it’s windy and you can sit out all day.
Brought the kuiu pro down jacket. Was a little heavier, but thankful every day I brought the warmer jacket.

d55dbbcb14008d691c55df54a1312481.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk