Bottom of feet burning

Pgohil

WKR
I wear Crispi Idaho II's with the superfeet guide inserts. Love em. On my second pair in fact. I've made two 18-mile hikes in these boots with a light pack of about 15-20 lbs recently. Never had any issues. This weekend I did the Virginia triple crown in a day and a half. First day was 24 mi second day was 11. My feet got toasted. By mile 8 on day one, the bottom of my feet were on fire.
It actually felt like a torch was being applied for my toes to my heels mostly on the inside half, but I could feel it all the way across. I stopped, taped the bottom of my feet with leukotape, and kept hiking. My feet were extremely painful for the remainder of the trip.
It really sucked. Took away from a lot of the pleasure of the hike. Never had that happen before.
The only thing I can find different was it was a lot of very hard and rocky terrain. Whereas normally I'm in dirt, mud and woods, this was a lot of rock hopping and very solid surfaces.
Any idea what caused this or what I could have done different? I have noticed that a lot of downhill descent with a heavy pack will also produce the burning sensation. I normally tape up and move on without a major issue. I'd really like to figure out a permanent solution that did not involve taping my feet regularly. I've even tried hiking through it hoping my feet were toughen up but to no avail.

Appreciate any help and input.

PGohil
WV

matthewmt

WKR
I've experienced similar as well but mine have been a constant throughout the day and worsened with certain foot wear. Burning on the pads of my toes.
I've worked on my feet in uneven terrain for the last decade and have never dealt with what I have going on now. Nothing in particular to pinpoint why it started but it was around the time I tried some crispi nevadas with a variety of insoles, not to blame them but ironic I suppose. I bought a variety of other boots since. A trip to the doc is in short order for sure.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Do you have the same issue when hiking in boots with more cushion? If not I'd bet that's the culprit. I've owned several Crispi boots but never could get used to their lack of cushion.

OP
Pgohil

Pgohil

WKR
I don't hike in anything other than my crispies. I've always been more of the mindset that you have to break your feet into the boot not your boot into your feet. Maybe I'm wrong about that. But anytime I'm hiking I always wear my crispies.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
What socks are you wearing? If I wear merino wool socks by themselves my feet feel like they were soaked in gasoline and lit on fire, and the bottoms of my feet will be bright red. If I wear my poly liner socks under merino, they're fine. The only reason I tried wearing the merino socks by themselves was because of so many guys swearing by that. Ya, I was swearing by that too.......or maybe I was swearing AT that. I've always worn poly liner socks under some sort of wool socks since the early 80's and have never had any boot or foot issues regardless how many miles I've put on while elk hunting with that setup.

Wile scouting northern AZ last week I stopped wearing my Crispis in favor of my MOAB Ventilators but my dawgs still ended up looking and feeling like burnt pancakes. Temps were 107-111 degrees and my medium Darn Tough socks were totally dry. In that kinda heat I question if anything would help, I literally felt like i was dying. But I narrowed my five unit archery elk tag down to a 9 mile area so that's good. Had to let air out of my tires 6 times cuz the pressure kept building.

OP
Pgohil

Pgohil

WKR
What socks are you wearing? If I wear merino wool socks by themselves my feet feel like they were soaked in gasoline and lit on fire, and the bottoms of my feet will be bright red. If I wear my poly liner socks under merino, they're fine. The only reason I tried wearing the merino socks by themselves was because of so many guys swearing by that. Ya, I was swearing by that too.......or maybe I was swearing AT that. I've always worn poly liner socks under some sort of wool socks since the early 80's and have never had any boot or foot issues regardless how many miles I've put on while elk hunting with that setup.
I wear my darn tough hunters everywhere. Every day unless I'm wearing dress shoes. I've never tried wearing a poly liner, but it may be worth a try. I always figured the two fabrics rubbing would cause more slippage... And extra heat in your feet.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I wear my darn tough hunters everywhere. Every day unless I'm wearing dress shoes. I've never tried wearing a poly liner, but it may be worth a try. I always figured the two fabrics rubbing would cause more slippage... And extra heat in your feet.
My liners have kept my feet cool, comfortable, and blister free for 40 years.

I don't hike in anything other than my crispies. I've always been more of the mindset that you have to break your feet into the boot not your boot into your feet. Maybe I'm wrong about that. But anytime I'm hiking I always wear my crispies.
I'd try some different boots. I've had the same issue you describe and I've found it's a result of insufficient cushioning.