Bottomed out sight

Hey everyone, I have a trophy ridge sight for my Mathews Switchback and the sight has worked great, until I went to heavier arrows. I used to shoot Carbon express 250 spine, I switched to an Easton 300 Fmj. My guess is that it's 3gpi heavier, since it's 12gpi and I could find the gpi for the carbon express. The issue I have is my sight has run out of room to move down. My last of five pins is set at 50 yards. I was hoping to shoot at 60 yards. Do you guys have any suggestions on what to check to see if I can get more range out of my sight?

Thanks

xOttox

FNG
I had the same problem with the trophy ridge. I was able to overcome it by moving my peep location up a little bit. Took me a few days to get used to the new anchor location. I had to adjust everything after that again but was able to get to 60. With a bottomed out pin.

At the time I was 27"/55lb draw, 400grn FMJ shooting 100grn montecs. Physics are against me.

Good luck.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

OP
Nickoftime
I had the same problem with the trophy ridge. I was able to overcome it by moving my peep location up a little bit. Took me a few days to get used to the new anchor location. I had to adjust everything after that again but was able to get to 60. With a bottomed out pin.

At the time I was 27"/55lb draw, 400grn FMJ shooting 100grn montecs. Physics are against me.

Good luck.

Yeah I shoot 30"/70Ib draw. Which should help me! Thanks for the peep info.

Had similar issues and also had to move my peep a bit. You could also check to make sure your arrow is level with the Berger hole as well as your d loop. They could all contribute to a sight being bottomed out. Good luck!

Shoot a lighter broadhead or overall arrow setup

This ^^^ or get a heavier draw weight. I don't know if Mathews ever made 80lb SE limbs compatible with the Switchback. The real problem is that your arrow speed decreased because your draw length and draw weight are fixed, while you added [potentially] 3-4 gpi to your arrow.

Moving your peep will change your anchor point and could fundamentally change your form, but if you invest in a shorter sight or dovetail sight, you could gain that range back. You would have to slide the housing as close to the riser as possible (see below pic), but you would lose the fine adjustment between yardage.

20210608_104541.jpg

MHB

FNG
I recommend posting a picture of the site and pins. If the top pin is in the middle of the housing but you can still move the whole sight housing down I don't believe the sigh in process was done correctly. On a multi pin housing you should start by moving the entire housing up and down to the yardage of your center pin (i.e. 5 pin 20, 30, 40, 50, 60) leave your 40 yard pin in the center of the sight housing and move the entire housing until it is dead on. Then sight in the 30 and 50, followed by the 20/60. This will more evenly distribute your pins in the housing instead of stacking them at the bottom or top.

Alternatively you can do a reverse sight in where you start with your 60 and work your way back to 20.

meta_gabbro

Lil-Rokslider
Depending on how much added travel you need you can gain some by moving your whole sight closer to the riser. It's not an ideal solution since you're giving up sight radius and potentially some precision, but it's better than upping your draw weight just to compensate for a lack of travel.

xOttox

FNG
Not my post and I solved my problems different but def learning a bunch.

fatlander

WKR
There’s some awful information in this thread.

Do not move your peep. That’s going to change your anchor which will completely throw your form out of whack.

Don’t go to a lighter broadhead or arrow unless you want to retune your bow.

And don’t move your 20 yard pin higher thinking that’s somehow going to change the fact that’s it’s already sighted to 20 yards. . . .

Move the entire sight housing as low as it can possibly go. Then re sight your pins. If your sight housing is already bottomed out, what you’ve got is what you’ve got.

PM me if you have more specific questions. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There’s some awful information in this thread.

Do not move your peep. That’s going to change your anchor which will completely throw your form out of whack.

Don’t go to a lighter broadhead or arrow unless you want to retune your bow.

And don’t move your 20 yard pin higher thinking that’s somehow going to change the fact that’s it’s already sighted to 20 yards. . . .

Move the entire sight housing as low as it can possibly go. Then re sight your pins. If your sight housing is already bottomed out, what you’ve got is what you’ve got.

PM me if you have more specific questions. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree, except he talked like the sight is not bottomed out, his pins are.
Which if your twenty pin is in the middle of the sight, no wonder.
Move the twenty up, which will cause you to move the housing down to keep it sighted in, but that frees up the housing for a 60 yard pin.

msalm

Lil-Rokslider
I recently set up a new bow. I started out 40 years ago a finger shooter, switched to release later but my anchor poor was always the corner of my mouth. Well guess what, that leaves your peep mighty low and you’re sights pretty close to the arrows. I raised my peep and shifted my anchor down…NOT a big deal and just as accurate/comfortable.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Use the top of your bubble as your 60. The first year I started archery, I shot a bull at 71 yards and had a 5-pin sight. But I knew the top of my bubble was good for 70. Have used 7-pin sights ever since, but haven't needed those bottom two pins either since then......while hunting.