BOTW ML Bullet and CO Elk hunt questions

I have a Colorado ML tag coming up this year. I watched BOTW last night and they are saying their setup has 1000 ft lbs at 800 yards. Anyone know what they are using for powder/bullet combination?

I need to be CO legal this year. Currently have a Triumph ML shooting Thor bullets with 120 gr BH209. What is my ethical distance to kill an Elk?

Thank guys!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
What are you going to use for a open sight to aim that far? Just curious?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

tdhanses

WKR
Find out what your muzzzle velocity is, bullet bc and dump it in a ballistics calculator. Now I’m going to tell you you’ll be closer to 200 max before you lose energy fast, which with open sights is not super easy unless you practice a bunch and know your drops or have the ability to dial a peep as you’ll see significant drop from 100 to 200, around 14” in drop for me.

Quick example, shooting the Barnes 290gr .50 sabot .45 cal bullet with 110gr bh209 I’m getting 1,842ft/s, this has just over 1,000ft/lbs of energy at 200 yards. If I upped it to 120gr bh209 I would gain some improvement in my numbers but I wouldn’t shoot over 150 yards on an elk with this load which is still below the recommended energy for elk of 1500ft/lbs energy, this load is not legal in CO but just used as an example.

My guess is they are using a smokeless setup and a small bullet, probably a completely illegal setup in CO.

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
What's BOTW? You've got a ML tag for goodness sake. It's right in the middle of the rut....especially this year. Every one of your shots should be well less than 100 yards. That's why CO requires iron sights.......to keep it somewhat primitive.

My best friend the last 42 years is drawing his ML tag this year too. I expect his shot to be in the under 40 yard range. Last year my daughter's was 30.

tdhanses

WKR
What's BOTW? You've got a ML tag for goodness sake. It's right in the middle of the rut....especially this year. Every one of your shots should be well less than 100 yards. That's why CO requires iron sights.......to keep it somewhat primitive.

My best friend the last 42 years is drawing his ML tag this year too. I expect his shot to be in the under 40 yard range. Last year my daughter's was 30.

Completely agree with this

bowinhand

WKR
I think they were using smokeless powder (not legal during muzzy season in Colorado) and a custom made bullet. Sabot Loader has some really informational threads and is a wealth of knowledge on muzzle loading(especially sabot-less bullet selection)

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. I love hunting Colorado 3rd rifle for muledeer with muzzleloader and bow.

OP
big10hunter
I tried wathcing pretty close. Didn't look like smokeless powder and the website did not mention it either. I am trying to figure out how they are getting 1000 ft lbs at 800 yards tho.

- - - Updated - - -

What are you going to use for a open sight to aim that far? Just curious?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I am using a peep and lyman globe front sight. Do you have something better in mind?

ENCORE

WKR
It is completely possible they are full of crap.

Oh they can do it, but NOT without using a smokeless propellant in a custom rifle, specifically designed to shoot smokeless propellant.

Hunters shouldn't even be considering shots at 800yds at game. There are WAY to many variables involved when shooting long range that most hunters don't have a clue about. Even sending a high BC bullet at 2,800fps, takes over 1.2 seconds to reach its target. More than enough time to cause a miss or wounding an animal if it takes a single step in that timeframe. Not to mention that a 5mph crosswind will send the bullet over 36" off POA at that distance.

TV outdoor shows are mostly 99% BS.

Macegl

Lil-Rokslider
Ethical shot distance is different for everyone, however even with scoped Muzzleloaders and sabots being legal where I hunt, there’s no way I’m taking a shot over 200 yds, and that’s in ideal conditions with no wind.

I have shot further at the range, and let me tell you, even with a slight breeze things fall apart in a hurry when you get past 200 yds.

Yotekiller

Lil-Rokslider
They are using parker match hunter bullets and a stiff enough charge of smokeless powder to shred your triumph barrel.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
BOTW=Best of the West. They do custom long range rifles and have introduced a long range “muzzleloader “. This rifle starts at $6000 and comes with a 3-12 Huskema scope and does not have the option for open sights...just what every Colorado muzzleloader hunter needs. Haha.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
BOTW=Best of the West. They do custom long range rifles and have introduced a long range “muzzleloader “. This rifle starts at $6000 and comes with a 3-12 Huskema scope and does not have the option for open sights...just what every Colorado muzzleloader hunter needs. Haha.

It's funny. I googled BOTW and "The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild" comes up. Apparently some adventure and/or hunting game. My first thought was........"Uhhhhhh, I wouldn't trust what they were doing in the game for real hunting information".:D

OP
big10hunter

Im not looking to buy one of their rifles, NEVER said that...I am trying to figure out what their BP load is for ballistics like that.

ENCORE

WKR
Im not looking to buy one of their rifles, NEVER said that...I am trying to figure out what their BP load is for ballistics like that.

I don't know how they may be getting 1,000fpe at 800yds using BP or even BH209. The UF and RUM rifles are capable of 160grs volume of BH, or 200grs of BP. You won't get much over 2,400fps with a 300gr bullet from either. Just doing a few examples in a ballistics program using very high BC bullets, it suggests 1,000fpe is at 650yds. With smokeless, yes you can get 1,000fpe at 800yds.