Boudin !!! Input??

remnar

FNG
So for you southern folks . I recently made a batch of Boudin and used this recipe (https://honest-food.net/cajun-boudi...4b67a75dd78ffee21942ecc32c8e93#comment-419857) it seemed in line with alot of recipes I looked at .

I have never eaten it before, im a native Northwesterner . It has always interested me as I love pork liver. This isnt my first rodeo making sausage in general so I have the alot of the principals down and make a product im happy with for most types .

I made it and I like it but was wandering what you guys think about it , and also any tips or tricks to making and or cooking Boudin. I smoked some , poached some, and gonna make Boudin balls next . So far I like the poached after its cooled to room temp the best .

I followed the recipe although did make a quadruple batch and did subsitute 1/4 of the salt with "Tony charchere cajun seasoning " . Meat was 95% home raised pork and 5% deer meat. I used/made the approriate amount of seasoning in the recipe provided for the rest of the .

Anyways any thoughts or tips ? ....Merci Beaucoup.;)

Last edited:

sdupontjr

WKR
As a resident coonass of Louisiana the best way we cook it here is grilling it. It allows the casing to crisp so when you do bite into it, you get the snap of the outer skin and then the flavorful inside. Some of the casing will do that and others no matter how long you grill them, won't. I've never personally made it however I'm about to start making my own Deer sausage to help cut down on my $700 yearly sausage bill at the local meat market. Boudin is nothing more that basically "rice dressing" inside a sausage casing. If you cut it open and serve it, folks won't know the difference except for the amount of rice. However, the better places use more meat than rice when making boudin and you can still find some that actually still use Pig intestines' or "blood boudin". As far as the seasoning goes, don't get caught up in Tony's because I find they use alot of salt when compared to others. So i would just seasoning to your liking. Now we do occasionally poach some, but when we do, the skin is more rubbery and you basically squeeze the meat out of it casing and throw the casing away. We also will put some in a skillet and keep flipping them browning the outside layers, but by doing this, it crisps the skin to fast and doesn't allow for the pork juices to expand and thus alot of times, it splits. Still very good and casing is very crisp, but will bust open on you if not flipped and watched enough.

I by no means know everything about it and have never actually cooked it, but having lived here all my life (49 years) you tend to pick up on things. But again, as far as seasoning I would look for something other than Tonys due to its very salty. But if you like salt then go for it. To me I like the kick of the pepper, onion and garlic and when you use enough of that to get the kick, its too damn salty. But anyway good luck and good eats.

OP
R

remnar

FNG
Thanks for the reply . I definitely took the salt into consideration when using Tonys Cajun seasoning , in fact I replaced salt in the recipe (in link provided) with Tonys and then mixed up some of the salt free cajun seasoning from the recipe also .

Since I originally posted this I gave some to a buddy that has a friend that is a native of LA . He said it was spot on and took him back home . So that is a good sign !

EJDXT21

Lil-Rokslider
I've never made it but eaten plenty. Boudin and crawfish pies are my weakness lol! There's a company, https://hebertsspecialtymeats.com/, that has great Cajun food and I believe you can order from them and they'll ship it to you. You may need to verify that. Check out their website. If you haven't had Boudin from Louisiana, I'd recommend trying to get a hold of some to get a sense of the texture and flavor, then try to make some as close as possible. Every time we cook some that we buy, we cook it on the pit. As sdupontjr stated, that crisp of the skin gives it that extra kick. It'll make you want to slap ya mama, which by the way is a seasoning I like waaaaay better than Tony's.

Toledo

FNG
Grilled is definitely the way to go.

I also like it spicy on a white bread sandwich with mayo. It counters the heat. Takes me back to fishing sabine lake with my grandpa as a kid.

AdamLewis

FNG
I like Hank Shaw but he would not be my go to for a boudin recipe nor would I put that much stuff in it.

John Folse's book is a good source for Cajun & Creole cooking, and I like his boudin Chicot recipe. Don't have the book in front of me but this recipe is close: http://www.jfolse.com/recipes/meats/pork18.htm. The Chicot version leaves out the red pepper if I am remembering it correctly.

The stuff is definitely good grilled and that gives it a totally different consistency.

Grundy53

WKR
I too am a Northwesterner who is interested in boudin. I'm going to have to try the recipe.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

CJF

WKR
…but seriously. Put it on a cracker. I always eat it with a saltine cracker and Louisiana or Crystal if given the opportunity. Smoked (225-250) long enough to crisp up the skin of my favorite way to cook it.

S-3 ranch

WKR
Wild boudin

Ingredients
▢ 1 1/2 pounds duck, venison, beef, pork, whatever
▢ 1/2 pounds liver
▢ 1/2 pound pork fat
▢ 1 large onion, chopped
▢ 2 celery stalks, chopped
▢ 2 poblano or green bell peppers, chopped
▢ 1 bay leaf
▢ 6 garlic cloves, chopped
▢ 4 tablespoons kosher salt
▢ 1/2 teaspoon Instacure No. 1 (optional)
▢ 3 to 5 tablespoons Cajun seasoning, or see below
▢ 2 cups cooked white rice (long-grain is best)
▢ 1 cup parsley, chopped
▢ 1 cup green onions, chopped
▢ Hog casings
Instructions
Chop the meats, liver and fat into chunks that will fit in the grinder. Mix the meats, liver and fat with the onion, celery, poblano peppers and garlic, then the salt, curing salt (if using) and either the Cajun seasonings or the spice mix you made from this recipe. Put it all in a lidded container and set in the fridge at least an hour, and up to a day.
Put the contents of the container into a large pot and pour in enough water to cover everything by an inch or two. Bring to a simmer and cook gently until everything is tender, at least 90 minutes and up to 3 hours. Strain the cooking liquid (you'll need it later) and spread the meat, fat and veggies out on a sheet pan to cool.
When everything is cool enough to handle, grind it through the coarse die (6.5 mm) on your grinder. You can also hand chop everything.
Put your meat mix into a large bowl and add the cooked rice, parsley and green onions. Mix well, and add up to 4 cups of the reserved cooking liquid. Mix this for 3 to 5 minutes so you make a more cohesive mixture to stuff into a casing. You now have boudin.
You can just shape the mixture into balls and fry them (they're awesome), or use your boudin as stuffing for something else, like a turkey. Or you can case it. Stuff the boudin into hog casings, and while you're doing it, get a large pot of salted water hot -- not simmering, just steaming. You want the water to be about 165ºF to 170ºF. Poach the links for 10 minutes, then serve. If you are not serving them right away, no need to poach the links yet.