Bought a rifle, now what?

Gila

WKR
Have a tikka T3x in 300 WSM and would like to shoot it. Can’t find the ammo. I don’t hand load, yet anyway. Would like to have some good ammo that shoots flat and will thump elk and moose out to 500 yards. I am looking for a 190-200 gr. bonded core bullet. Thanks....

Even though you don’t handload yet, if you see components, buy them anyway. A few of my buddies didn’t handload, but started buying components. They bring their stuff over and I let them use my stuff. They pay me in Bubly seltzer water and Copenhagen.

sndmn11

WKR
OP
Gila

Gila

WKR
Even though you don’t handload yet, if you see components, buy them anyway. A few of my buddies didn’t handload, but started buying components. They bring their stuff over and I let them use my stuff. They pay me in Bubly seltzer water and Copenhagen.
Is Hornady brass worth a hoot? What do you recommend for powder shoving a 195 gr accubond or Berger?

Is Hornady brass worth a hoot? What do you recommend for powder shoving a 195 gr accubond or Berger?

I have had good luck with Hornady brass. I mean that mostly in regards to not having new cases coming out of the bag all dented up or even un-usable. I’ve been able to make good, accurate loads with it and brass life is on par or better than Winchester/Remington/Federal.

For powders, I’d look at some of the mid-range to slow powders. Reloader 17, H4350, Reloader 19, H4831, Hybrid 100V. All have worked well in the WSMs I’ve loaded for.

OP
Gila

Gila

WKR
Couldn’t find the ammo I want so canceled my firearm order. I have to think how many people like me want to buy a rifle but don’t because they can’t shoot it. There may be some cheap rifles out there in another 6 months. I don’t see how the ammo market can recover before this fall. Hopefully I am wrong.

A person needs at least 3 boxes or 60 rounds to break in, sight in, practice a few and hunt. 80 rounds would be better. I am good to go with the rifles I have. I can’t see getting scalped just to have another rifle anyway.

sndmn11

WKR

LightFoot

WKR
Couldn’t find the ammo I want so canceled my firearm order. I have to think how many people like me want to buy a rifle but don’t because they can’t shoot it. There may be some cheap rifles out there in another 6 months. I don’t see how the ammo market can recover before this fall. Hopefully I am wrong.

A person needs at least 3 boxes or 60 rounds to break in, sight in, practice a few and hunt. 80 rounds would be better. I am good to go with the rifles I have. I can’t see getting scalped just to have another rifle anyway.
Buy ammo, then buy rifle....
Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Buck197

WKR
Have a tikka T3x in 300 WSM and would like to shoot it. Can’t find the ammo. I don’t hand load, yet anyway. Would like to have some good ammo that shoots flat and will thump elk and moose out to 500 yards. I am looking for a 190-200 gr. bonded core bullet. Thanks....
Call Jake, at Unknown Munitions, id siggest a sample pack,l to see what that rifle likes. His ammo is golden in my book, happy I started going thru him, shooting 3/8 " groups out of a factory Tikka with his ammo, buddy has a Tikka .270shoots 7/16" with his ammo. I hope that helps. Just search Unknown Munitions on forums and you can get his info.

OP
Gila

Gila

WKR
Call Jake, at Unknown Munitions, id siggest a sample pack,l to see what that rifle likes. His ammo is golden in my book, happy I started going thru him, shooting 3/8 " groups out of a factory Tikka with his ammo, buddy has a Tikka .270shoots 7/16" with his ammo. I hope that helps. Just search Unknown Munitions on forums and you can get his info.
Thanks for the info. I have a Tikka .270 in one of the original T3s. I shot Hornady interbonds with their custom light magnum ammo for years until I ran out. Now they have the superformance line without the interbond. I am kinda avoiding the SSTs as I don’t like the way they are constructed. I knocked a bull elk down with a 130 gr GMX but the interbonds deliver a lot more shock power. The .270 has awesome accuracy and can reach out there and touch ‘em.

Ammo is definitely tough to find, some calibers more so than others. But it is out there. Sign up for in stock alerts on a bunch of sites, and check ammoseek whenever you’re on your phone.
There is ammo available for pretty much every calibers, it just depends on what you’re willing to spend. If you’re patient you’ll find some for close to normal prices.

Another option is to look at some of the custom ammo manufacturers. (Unknown munitions, hendershots, choice). Those are handloads, and start around $50 per box. But there is availability through some of them.
My experience the last few months with 7mm-08, 30-06, and 25-06 has been that you can find cheap ammo for close to regular prices (core lokt, American whitetail). But when you find accubonds or partitions in stock. Just jump on them for the $55ish price they’re going to be. Because I’ve only seen them in stock once or twice.

OP
Gila

Gila

WKR
Thanks everyone, great info on ammo. A Tikka T3x stainless came up for sale in 300 win mag so I jumped on it. I was able to find some ammo for it. I bought enough accubond ammo to last me for a year anyway. I think the twist is 1:10 in the Tikka so I will shove some heavier bullets in when this ammo craze subsides. So far the only new brass I could find is 2 bucks a pop but still looking.

cth027

FNG
I feel your pain, my dad has been looking for 300wsm all year. I went ahead and bought a 300 WM for myself due to his troubles as well

Pay to get hand-loads developed for it. Buy enough of them to last awhile. Get the “recipe” so you have it to do your own later down the road.

Hschweers

Lil-Rokslider
If you use ammoseek to find Ammo, they don’t check federal’s website. Federal updates their stock daily as they produce and I’ve been able to find a good variety of Ammo for my new gun and a buddy’s through them. It is 2-3 weeks (like they tell you upfront) before you’ll get it.

OP
Gila

Gila

WKR
I have been going to federalpremium.com but no luck there. The custom reloaders have been saying that they are running out of components. I want to hand load my own eventually. I will give it another year for this crazy stuff to subside. I have enough ammo now to see me through till then.

OP
Gila

Gila

WKR
I feel your pain, my dad has been looking for 300wsm all year. I went ahead and bought a 300 WM for myself due to his troubles as well
Practically speaking, I think the 300 Win Mag is a better choice anyway. Since this Tikka barrel came in 1:10 twist, I will probably have a better time hand loading this cartridge.