Boulder Colorado Gun Ordinances

A number of cities and towns in Boulder County have passes various gun ordinances recently - I hadn’t paid too much attention until the County decided to start the process to do the same, as this will now directly affect me. Are there any lawyers who can help interpret the ordinances and how they will affect hunters/gun owners? Constructive feedback would be great!

2022-5 (https://pub-bouldercounty.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=14838) - Section 1-a-1-v defines an assualt weapon as having a detachable magazine and “a shroud attached to the barrel, or that partially or completely encircles the barrel, allowing the bearer to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned, but excluding a slide that encloses the barrel”. This sounds very similar to a stock on virtually all rifles.
Section 2-a says “No person, corporation or other entity in unincorporated Boulder County may manufacture, import, purchase, sell or transfer any assault weapon, large-capacity magazine, or rapid-fire trigger activator” but does not define import. Seeing as purchase or sell are called out separately how would this affect someone driving into Boulder County to hunt in unit 29 or 20? Or if I drive out of the county and then back - am I “import”ing my rifles?

2022-4 (https://pub-bouldercounty.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=14835) - Section 1-a-3 Sounds like it will effectively eliminate the limited Rabbit Mountain elk hunt to control the overly large resident population - am I interpreting this correctly?

2022-2 (https://pub-bouldercounty.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=14834) - I have kids. When they are under 21 how can I legally get them rifles/shotguns to hunt with?

Are there any hunting organizations with legal affairs people who can help interpret these?

Thanks!

Last edited:

260madman

WKR
They better go to Walmart and confiscate all the shoe and boot laces along with any pants/shorts with belt loops. They are rapid-fire trigger activators.

EdP

WKR
Review the decision written by Justice Thomas and determine if what is being proposed is in accordance with the ruling. If not, you are OK, if so, move.

amassi

WKR
If any of those reps are up for reelection this fall get them out of there. Vote early and vote often

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

amassi

WKR
Review the decision written by Justice Thomas and determine if what is being proposed is in accordance with the ruling. If not, you are OK, if so, move.
Which Supreme Court case dealt with assault weapons bans?
Last week they kicked a bunch back to lower courts which appear the district courts are going to UPHOLD the bans.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Well, shit. I've got a stag-15 lefty in 6.5 grendel for my hunting rifle. I think i could get a fixed stock for it, and i could swap the pistol grip for one of the california compliant rifle style grips, its got a muzzle break, not a flash suppressor, but the shroud and magazine things are baffling. It sounds like it makes every semi automatic rifle illegal, regardless of capacity, even my grandad's BAR. My grendel could hold more than 10 rounds, but i only have hunting mags for them which are already 5 rounds.

I dont understand the shroud thing. Do they not get that all rifles are shot with two hands? Having a stock that goes forward of the magazine is pretty much endemic to rifles period. I get that theyre trying to target ar and ak style guns, but unless im mistaken the shroud line actually renders all semi-automatic centerfire guns illegal. It certainly seems my 10/22 is illegal there.

Does somebody else have a different read on this? I was thinking about moving into boulder county so i could help my brother with his kid, but i guess ill need to avoid it or sell most of my guns.