Bow Blows up as I release on Monster 5x5

FlyGuy

WKR
I had a similar thing happen two years ago. Drew back on a cow, released. Horrible noise and shock, shrapnel flying everywhere. Took me several hours and a trip to shop to have strings put back on cams to realize I’d sucked a cow call on a lanyard into the string. Horrible luck. Just when you think everything has come together for you to get a layup shot on an elk, and the archery gods throw another wrinkle in.

Ouch!!!!

You can’t cheat the mountain

rclouse79

WKR
Bummer man. It feels like Murphy’s law always has to rear its ugly head during archery elk. Seems to me I have noticed a few failure posts with a release or bow when shooting at game. I know I shot a lot all summer, but didn’t want to replace anything after I felt my setup was dialed. I can’t help but think some of these failures are caused in part by pulling back with super human strength with the adrenaline pumping. Seems like too much of a coincidence that you could fire thousands of shots all summer and the one that counted randomly went wrong. What ever caused it, better luck next year.

I rolled my string off dragging my bow through the brush. Luckily my partner was with and with a length of paracord we were able to get it back on and continue hunting.

WKR
I had a nock failure on a good elk a week ago. Arrow splintered and cut 50% of the string fibers in the process. I feel your pain.

is that "monster 5" caught on video too? a friend of mine drew my first bow back and derailed it during my first elk hunt. luckily it was a 22 day hunt and i was able to get the limbs, string/cables replaced and got back to hunting after a few days. he simply torqued it as he drew back and thats all it took. he bought the bow after that hunt and i promptly bought a new bow.

Gila

WKR
I do my own bow work. I pack a bowmaster with allens and a spare set of strings. I made my own draw board for about 100 in parts that I put into the back of the truck. The certified Bowtech technicians are very good but they are not as exact with the draw length as I like and sometimes I change draw weight. I need to know when the Binary cams go out of tune anyway. I try to reduce the POF as much as I can. All you gotta do is nick a cable on barbed wire or a branch and it is game over. However, no matter what you do, things happen. Too bad it was a shot on an elk. Fortunately you weren't injured.