Bow case for air travel

NomadHunter603

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not exactly sure if this is the right area for this post, but I’m going to be flying down to Florida to hunt hogs with my bow. I need to get a good case. I have a Mathews VXR 31.5. I’d like to be able to put a pistol in there as well and hopefully have room to pack my hunting clothes/some gear around it if possible. I was curious what everyone recommended.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TX_Diver

WKR
I bought an everest legend last year and it's great.

Only 2 trips with it but no complaints so far and much more versatile than the hard cases.

For hard case I'd stick with Pelican or SKB although there are others out there.

OP
NomadHunter603

NomadHunter603

Lil-Rokslider

Only 2 trips with it but no complaints so far and much more versatile than the hard cases.

For hard case I'd stick with Pelican or SKB although there are others out there.

That might fit the ticket. I originally was thinking there’s no way I could fly with that but it sounds like a it’s TSA approved. I’ll be doing some research on that tonight. Do you have room to pack hunting clothes and what not on top/around your bow?

TX_Diver

WKR
That might fit the ticket. I originally was thinking there’s no way I could fly with that but it sounds like a it’s TSA approved. I’ll be doing some research on that tonight. Do you have room to pack hunting clothes and what not on top/around your bow?

I stuffed it full of clothes, arrows, misc. archery tools, binos, boots, etc. Weighed 70lbs when I was done but smiling at the check in counter got me through okay (was prepared to repack some into my carry-on if needed but figured I'd give it a go).

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I use an SKB double bowcase with wheels. I pack clothes and some gear around the bow and put a pistol in there too for grizzly country.

Missahba

Lil-Rokslider
I have been really happy w my SKB double bow w/ wheels. It has built in TSA locks which is helpful for firearms.
1607623132286.pngIt’s beed discussed in other threads and I confirmed with resrearch. Firearms require non-TSA locks. Just clarifying that so nobodyends up buying licks st the ticket counter $$$$. Cheers and good luck on the trip!

EDIT: Locks are expensive too. Lol.

MattB

WKR
Interesting on the research piece, as I find documentation that goes both ways - and strangely both from the TSA website (got to love our government). See links down below.

Last month in my travels to AK I had to wait 20 minutes at the ticket counter after checking my bag in case TSA wanted to open my gun case (not all airports have TSA screening in a public area, so the notion you can have the bag inspected in your presence is not universal). The Alaska Airlines rep told me that if I had used the TSA locks on my case i could have just checked my bags and gone on my way to the security line.

Please read this in full before coming to any conclussions, but sounds like using you own, non TSA-recognized locks is the better bet):

Here is the excerpt from the TSA website (which lists TSA-recognized locks as acceptable):
  • Firearms must be unloaded and locked in a hard-sided container and transported as checked baggage only. As defined by 49 CFR 1540.5 a loaded firearm has a live round of ammunition, or any component thereof, in the chamber or cylinder or in a magazine inserted in the firearm. Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock unless TSA personnel request the key to open the firearm container to ensure compliance with TSA regulations. You may use any brand or type of lock to secure your firearm case, including TSA-recognized locks.

But I do find other references suggesting TSA locks should not be used as well as some indicating TSA locks are not permissable (including one on another section of the TSA website).

Last edited:
I can't recommend it since I haven't bought it yet, but I have my eye on this one as I need to purchase a travel case sometime in the next 10 months as well:

Missahba

Lil-Rokslider

SharpEnd

FNG

The Legend Everest looks really good, particularly for the price compared to some of the hard cases. Is it a bit big for everyday use, going to the range, bow storage, etc?

TX_Diver

WKR
The Legend Everest looks really good, particularly for the price compared to some of the hard cases. Is it a bit big for everyday use, going to the range, bow storage, etc?

Yes. I just use a soft allen case for everything but flying. Even hunting trips the soft case just rides on the backseat unzipped and it's an easy way to keep the bow safe.

Used to be like $45 from what I remember. I bought it 5-6 years ago but it's great for everything but flying.

Ferg

FNG
One more for the SKB double case. Took it to a shoot, stumbled across a trade show by luck and brought home a sleeping bag. In the case. TSA was cool enough.

pirogue

WKR
I have been really happy w my SKB double bow w/ wheels. It has built in TSA locks which is helpful for firearms.
That’s the last thing I would do, is make it convenient for TSA to pilfer through my gear and firearm. Might as well tape a big sign on it, that says, “Firearm enclosed, Take a look”

MattB

WKR
That’s the last thing I would do, is make it convenient for TSA to pilfer through my gear and firearm. Might as well tape a big sign on it, that says, “Firearm enclosed, Take a look”
How much gear have you had stolen from unlocked checked luggage over the years? I've flown dozens of times and it has never happened to me.

pirogue

WKR
How much gear have you had stolen from unlocked checked luggage over the years? I've flown dozens of times and it has never happened to me.
I never said “Unlocked”. I’ve never had anything stolen, nor has anyone seen inside my case, unless I’m there. I put my PRIVATE lock on my bow case, throw in an old pistol, declare a firearm, and if anyone wants to look in it, I will be contacted and present. Unlike anyone who puts a TSA(Free For All to look) lock.