Bow case for air travel

I never said “Unlocked”. I’ve never had anything stolen, nor has anyone seen inside my case, unless I’m there. I put my PRIVATE lock on my bow case, throw in an old pistol, declare a firearm, and if anyone wants to look in it, I will be contacted and present. Unlike anyone who puts a TSA(Free For All to look) lock.
My skb double bow gets non tsa locks on it with something declared inside

Elkhntr08

WKR
Another vote for the SKB double. Have traveled and flown all over the world with mine and zero issues.
From the back of my truck to the belly of an airplane, my gear has always arrived safe.

MattB

WKR
I never said “Unlocked”. I’ve never had anything stolen, nor has anyone seen inside my case, unless I’m there. I put my PRIVATE lock on my bow case, throw in an old pistol, declare a firearm, and if anyone wants to look in it, I will be contacted and present. Unlike anyone who puts a TSA(Free For All to look) lock.
You've never checked a bag on an airline that wasn't locked?

As someone who has - a whole bunch of times - it has never been a problem. IMO the risk of theft by TSA agents is one that only exists on the internet.

As an FYI, not all airports have TSA baggage screenings in a public area so you could be contacted but not allowed to be present.

pirogue

WKR
You've never checked a bag on an airline that wasn't locked?

As someone who has - a whole bunch of times - it has never been a problem. IMO the risk of theft by TSA agents is one that only exists on the internet.

As an FYI, not all airports have TSA baggage screenings in a public area so you could be contacted but not allowed to be present.
The thread subject was bow case for air travel, and not just a “bag”. I’d gladly match my airport experiences, consisting of dozens of years being an elite frequent flyer, (and on several different airlines) to your “whole bunch” of trips.
773240F9-8515-4B2C-A115-536DA42F1B78.jpeg773240F9-8515-4B2C-A115-536DA42F1B78.jpeg

MattB

WKR
The thread subject was bow case for air travel, and not just a “bag”. I’d gladly match my airport experiences, consisting of dozens of years being an elite frequent flyer, (and on several different airlines) to your “whole bunch” of trips.
View attachment 245565View attachment 245565
I get you have a system which has worked for you, but you are being overly dramatic in being critical of other people's systems which likewise has worked just fine for them.

Gotta live the internet.....

fwafwow

WKR
+1 on SKB double. It’s heavy but bomb proof. Note that even if you only have a bow in your big case, folks at the airport will very likely assume it has a firearm in it - which for me has meant some special care in handling it and giving it to me at baggage.

I think the TSA may have changed their “advice” recently. I’m pretty sure they used to say “do not” use TSA locks, but now allow it.

Agree with @MattB on the variation on being able to watch your case being inspected. Omaha and Charleston, SC do not permit you to be present. I'm sure there are others. I argued the rules at Chas, and they gave me a choice - stick to the rules and don't fly, or hand over my key for an inspection in the back.

PSA on the TSA - any part of your firearm is considered a firearm. I had a bolt from a bolt action rifle in my carryon luggage once and it didn't go well. Confiscated and I was kicked out of TSA PreCheck for 6 months.

Last edited:

fwafwow

WKR
Many advise bringing two sets of locks, to deal with arbitrary decisions on the fly.

Edited for spelling
Even if you bring both kinds (I only use non-TSA locks), I would bring extra. I've had mine either cut off after inspection, or ripped off when caught in the machinery. (That last one was what I was told by TSA - not sure I believe it.) And has been discussed before, if your case has 6 locking points, be prepared for a TSA agent to tell you that each has to be locked - even though more reasonable agents will tell you just lock enough so that it can't be pried open.

OP
NomadHunter603

NomadHunter603

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate the input from everyone. I ended up going with one of the SKB doubles and it seems pretty damn sweet! My only complaint is that it fits awfully snug up top with the bow. Almost like the foam is too thick. It’s a minor issue. I do agree, TSA is all over the place. I’ve flown with a gun a lot of times. I’ve always heard that every lock slot needs to have a lock. Then I’ve also run into, flying back from Alaska. I had two locks on mine. I think mine were tsa locks and my buddy had regular locks and they told him his weren’t allowed. But I was allowed to give him one of my tsa locks and it was fine lol.
9c40b2b9b1b3126a50b5d4405961f894.jpg

0c2534b4afcf2aebd3e0c9f8a0c292e2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad you found a good case. For anyone else reading and shopping I also shoot a VXR 31.5 and ended up with a Plano Mil-Spec Fieldlocker that I’m happy with. Tried the Pelican because most of their stuff is awesome but their bow vase needs work on how the bow is secured into the case. The Plano fits my bow and all basic accessories and is a lot more compact than the double SKB and feels plenty tough to check without concern.

@NomadHunter603 ill also be doing some archery hog hunting in FL this winter- good luck!

fwafwow

WKR
I appreciate the input from everyone. I ended up going with one of the SKB doubles and it seems pretty damn sweet! My only complaint is that it fits awfully snug up top with the bow. Almost like the foam is too thick. It’s a minor issue. I do agree, TSA is all over the place. I’ve flown with a gun a lot of times. I’ve always heard that every lock slot needs to have a lock. Then I’ve also run into, flying back from Alaska. I had two locks on mine. I think mine were tsa locks and my buddy had regular locks and they told him his weren’t allowed. But I was allowed to give him one of my tsa locks and it was fine lol.

I hear you on the snug fit. Not sure how I could ever fit two bows, or a bow and rifle, in the case. I quickly got used to the space below and filled it almost exactly as you did.

Not sure if you mean "up top" as far as the top side of the case, you *could* take off your site to make for some room, but I've not done that yet. I do take off my stabilizer to give a bit more room at the sides, and I often pack more clothing on the top and sides of the bow.

Last point - it's probably a good idea to weigh this beast before you get to the airport. I believe mine starts at ~37# empty, so it's pretty easy to hit a 50# for those airlines that have that as a checked bag weight limit.

I take the center padding out, when only my bow is inside and pack cloths around it and everything under it. Put cloths back on top. Yours is packed pretty nice 👍

d_bach

FNG
I just purchased the Pelican Vault V730 for my V3 31 and went the route of custom foam for all the accessories. Case dealer.com

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
SKB !!
Used their bow cases, 3 diff models, for many years. In 2020, now use their Double bow case. Lots storage room for archery gear. Always declare my handgun in pistol case within this locked case. So I will be present to open locks when TSA does inspection. Do their thing, ask me to put locks back on case, and they send it off to baggage.
Except going to Canada, I don't take a handgun.

Know this, if you fly much, baggage handling-equipment WILL damage your bow case. I've experienced major damage 3x; cracked wheel, bent aluminum lip-frame, deep gouges in case that darn near penetrated interior. But bow never damaged.

SKB gave me a NEW case every time. That's standing behind a company product with outstanding customer service.