Bow Case for Flying

mtbshark

WKR
A hard case is self limiting in that there is only so much you can pack in and around the bow space wise. You will rarely get it up near the 50 pound mark. So if the case is 10 pounds empty or 20 it really doenst make much difference.

I don’t know about that, I have had multiple trips from Seattle to Arizona with just a lightly packed carry-on and all my cloths in my hard-case. That is usually for 4-6 days
But we all sell that what we own is better, but on that the hybrid cases do look very nice as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
I don’t know about that, I have had multiple trips from Seattle to Arizona with just a lightly packed carry-on and all my cloths in my hard-case. That is usually for 4-6 days
But we all sell that what we own is better, but on that the hybrid cases do look very nice as well

So let's say you have 20 pounds between case and bow. You can fit another 30 pounds of gear in it?
I am not selling anything I have and use both.

SKB double bow case. Flown it to Alaska and Arizona. You can fill it to 50lbs. I’ve had bow, arrows, release, beretta shotgun (broken in half), two hand guns, and ammo. You can get it to 50lbs easy! Went I landed in AZ seen the line guys toss it into the carts. So it will take a beating.

I just went through this research process as well after a flight to Montana with my Plano heavy duty case (18#s empty) and it worked but I was left wanting to pack more in it to hit the 50# limit but no space left. I landed on the Pelican Air 1745...it's only 21#s vs the SKB Double (32#s) or ultimate double (35#s) leaving a lot of room for extra stuff but little weight to add to hit 50. I've been impressed with Pelican so far. 15% off by going to their website and signing up for their newsletter. Pricey but I've spent too much money buying multiples of gear. Buy once cry once! Good luck

This guy just posted a good review of it. https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/pelican-1745-bow-case-review.134673/

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Looks like the Cabelas Ripcord is being discontinued and is on closeout...$90 CA for the XL in Canada right now. They are voluminous and tough enough to carry what I put in them. Bet Bass Pro axed them.

TX_Diver

WKR
I ended up ordering a Pelican Vault V730 today. If it looks like it's not going to be great then I'm going to return it and buy the legend Everest. For something I'll rarely use I just couldn't justify the extra $100 to get the legend case.

Will post up some thoughts when I get it. I bought it through cabelas as I can get 10% back through activejunky and they have free 2 day shipping right now so it worked out to $170.

arrowjunkie

Lil-Rokslider
I bought one of the Plano field locker gun cases and just cut the foam to fit my bow and quiver. Cheaper than some of the other options and it has been rock solid

FURMAN

WKR
I really like my SKB but some of the new Pelican bow cases look like better options for accessory storage.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I'm gonna use my Pelican 1750 for my bow and throw in a pistol for the trip. I've used it for several flights to haul rifles and shotguns. I don't expect any issues with it.

OP
PSDBowhunter

PSDBowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the input. I'll have to choose here shortly and see what works best for my setup.

I've seen a few threads where people put a pistol in their case. Is the purpose of that just so TSA takes extra care of it?

Trial153

WKR
Thanks for all the input. I'll have to choose here shortly and see what works best for my setup.

I've seen a few threads where people put a pistol in their case. Is the purpose of that just so TSA takes extra care of it?
Keeps them (tsa) out of the case. Also less likely to get lost as well as they know the headache that will ensue if they loose a firearm.

Beendare

WKR
I've had my Sitka Nomad all over on many flights. its awesome. I haven't used my SKB double in years.

It weighs 11#. Thats 39# of other gear I can get in there and be under the weight limit.

No matter what case you use you need a packing strategy...as TSA will just toss stuff back in and potentially cause problems with your bowstring.

I put my compound in a cheap soft case at the bottom of the bag- sight off in a separate clear padded wrap. Then I pile clothes and gear in op top. Bow stuff goes in clear zip locks...so TSA doesn't need to open everything. Arrows go in a 3" PVC drain pipe. Its nice to have that soft case anyway- especially in a Super Cub on a fly out...or on the back of an ATV. Multiple uses.

N2TRKYS

WKR

That means that I'm present when/if it's being opened. That way I know stuff isn't just thrown back in the case ane compromises my bow.

Trial153

WKR
A good way to protect your bow string in the bottom of hybrid luggage set up if your forgoing a shift case in side is bow sling that has a string cover. For example the one Sitka makes. I place the cover over the cams string and sight. It then pulls double duty and stays on the bow if I am packing in in through heavy cover. I am using it more and more each year and really liking it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Nerhunter

FNG
Case club parallel hard case, best $225 I ever spent! On Amazon. Just back from Namibia not a scratch on it.1F8596CE-AB2F-412C-9786-F01F7B8BD73E.jpeg

Based on some of the last comments, is it safe to assume that the airline won't have to check your bow before checking it in, but if you include a firearm, they do and that will keep it from being reopened?

Im deciding between driving and flying out west and this thread is now super relevant to me.

wadegarrett

Lil-Rokslider
I bought one of the Plano field locker gun cases and just cut the foam to fit my bow and quiver. Cheaper than some of the other options and it has been rock solid

I just picked up a Plano All Weather for my Centergy Hybrid. Lot's of rooms and I really like the latches on it. Solid and price is right, definitely has some weight to it, though.

Got mine a few weeks ago...it's a BEAST. 24 or 25lbs empty and it has rollers. Seems like a great case for $200. As a side note, amazon bumped up the price from $202 to $215 or $217 i think after i viewed it once. Kept checking back and they never dropped the price again. Knowing they pull that crap i looked up the price when my girlfriend was home and it was still high. Had her look on her acct for the first time... low and behold $202. Shady Bas*****!!
Just a heads up.

I just flew from LA to UT and back, with layovers in Atlanta and LAX with the Pelican 1745 Bow case. It was new when I left and you can tell it was tossed around quite a bit but there was no real damage to the case and my bow/sight didn't budge. The interior set up is well though out, straps and clips where they need to be and nothing where you don't need it. It has pouches attached via molle for releases, stabs, tools, etc. I was able to take 18 arrows between the 6 slotted and 12 in my arrow tube. Theres a divider that helps secure/protect the bow and enough room inside to pack clothes to further protect it. I use a dovetail, took my sight off both ways and reattached it and it was dead on before and after. It has 2 TSA locking latches and I ended up putting on another combo lock. TSA searched it coming back, but not going there. You get what you pay for in archery, the Pelican has to be the gold standard in bow cases right now.

The case, clothes, bow, etc weighed around 40 lbs.