Bow case/pointers for air travel

Raj patel

Lil-Rokslider
Can any of you with expertise in this department please steer me in the right direction. Quality of case needed to Check. Any other advice would be appreciated.

Pack your bow case to 49.5#. They don't seem to be too concerned with the dimensions, the weight is what puts it to oversized. Pack a bunch of your clothes around your bow, anything else you can get in there.

dsotm223

FNG
Something that is sturdy, SKB or lakewood comes to mind. Pack just under 50 lbs. Make sure it has locks AND locations to ad locks. I recommend using different locks for example, case locks, a pad lock and a combination lock or sub in a cable lock.
Pack clothing around bow to help protect it.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

I use a Plano Protector with added extra padding. I lock it twice with 2 small tsa locks and then I put a buckle strap tight around the case so even if a hinge was broke, it cannot open. Its been on countless trips, works great, and makes me smile when it performs the same simple duty my partners $400 Pelican Air case does for around $50.

I put mine in soft bow case then into a soft rolling golf bag. wrap that sucker up with all your soft stuff.
Pack it to 49.5#. The rolling wheels really helps when you're carrying other luggage/coolers as well...

Last edited:
I use a Plano Protector with added extra padding. I lock it twice with 2 small tsa locks and then I put a buckle strap tight around the case so even if a hinge was broke, it cannot open. Its been on countless trips, works great, and makes me smile when it performs the same simple duty my partners $400 Pelican Air case does for around $50.

Wait till you get that Plano busted. Saw it happen this year. Buddy wasn't happy at all. Everything turned out ok, except for flying it back home. I put it in the truck with me to get it back.

Wait till you get that Plano busted. Saw it happen this year. Buddy wasn't happy at all. Everything turned out ok, except for flying it back home. I put it in the truck with me to get it back.

Thats why I run a strap around it. It's held up 6 years of trips so if nothing else I got my moneys worth lol

Thats why I run a strap around it. It's held up 6 years of trips so if nothing else I got my moneys worth lol

I'm not saying you haven't gotten your monies worth. Not saying they are bad cases either, just not the same as a heavy duty pelican or skb. It's up to the individual how important the protection of their things are.

OP
R

Raj patel

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you guys for the help. I guess I’m wondering if this seemingly not so robust skb case I have is sufficient or it’s recommended getting one more robust. Should I use this and pack it with clothes or upgrade to a case with less flex. Thanks again guys!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    442.7 KB · Views: 33

Gearqueer

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you guys for the help. I guess I’m wondering if this seemingly not so robust skb case I have is sufficient or it’s recommended getting one more robust. Should I use this and pack it with clothes or upgrade to a case with less flex. Thanks again guys!

I’m sure you will be just fine with that case. I wouldn’t over-think it. If you’re nervous I’d get a couple luggage straps to put around it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oso

FNG
I have a Pelican Air 1745 Bow case. It was expensive, but it is built like a tank. I have flown with it twice. Nothing moves around if you use the straps and blocks like you are supposed to.

PMcGee

WKR

I have the same case. While it may work I wouldn’t trust flying with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ncavi8tor

WKR
All good suggestions. I would also suggest you put a plastic tie-wrap around your string and cables so the bow cannot be drawn back. Keeps a bored baggage handler from "checking your poundage!" Haha

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

MajorAR

Lil-Rokslider
I put my bow, quiver and small arrow tube plus spare bow in a Prime soft case along with a few clothes. The soft case goes into my Cabelas Ripcord rolling duffle, size XL along with spare boots, pack, sleeping bag and the rest of my clothes for padding. I fill to 49#s unless on northern flights that have a 70# limit. Works very well for me.

Cabelas does not sell the Ripcord XL rolling duffle anymore last time I looked. They were about 44” x 18” x 18” bag dimensions and weighed about 9#s empty and had an extendable handle and a couple Strategic end lifting straps. Cost $159 US.

PMcGee

WKR
All good suggestions. I would also suggest you put a plastic tie-wrap around your string and cables so the bow cannot be drawn back. Keeps a bored baggage handler from "checking your poundage!" Haha

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

We just throw a pistol in with our bows so nobody can open our cases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro