Bow case/pointers for air travel

PA Archer

FNG
Just got back from using a Plano all weather case and it did the job for me, just a few new scuffs and scratches in it. Would definitely recommend packing clothes and items around the bow in the case just to give extra padding.

OP
R

Raj patel

Lil-Rokslider
Great stuff guys!! Thank y’all as always for your help!!! Great community!

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
SKB all the way. I actually had Alaska Airlines damage a 5 year old SKB TSA bow case. Conveyer bent the outside of aluminum frame Lid support. Case would close but not perfectly. SKB replaced with new case.

pack a handgun, in its own locked case, into the bow case. TSA will check with you present and afterwards case not opened further. Also, it will be delivered to airline office in baggage claim. Not usual baggage delivery due to handgun. You will need to show your ID to retrieve your case from office personnel.

Also include a Word.doc note, printed on both sides, in the bow case. Enclosed in tight, shrunk plastic to protect note.
I use: ...Warning, sharp objects, high tension strings enclosed, may cause injury if handled incorrectly...

trust me, TSA agent sees that note, they are more careful rooting around your packed clothes/bow and handling your pistol case.

Thank you guys for the help. I guess I’m wondering if this seemingly not so robust skb case I have is sufficient or it’s recommended getting one more robust. Should I use this and pack it with clothes or upgrade to a case with less flex. Thanks again guys!
I have this same case and have flown with it 5 or 6 times. Also shipped a bow home in it via USPS once. I wouldn't buy a new case if you only have one special trip in mind but if you plan on flying with your bow a lot I would upgrade to something more sturdy.

Also include a Word.doc note, printed on both sides, in the bow case. Enclosed in tight, shrunk plastic to protect note.
I use: ...Warning, sharp objects, high tension strings enclosed, may cause injury if handled incorrectly...
+1 on adding a note. Mine says “Caution!! razor sharp objects inside!”

packing your bag perfectly is only good if no one opens it and goes through it...and no tsa agent is going to pack it like you did...
Note seems to help keep your bag as is. I usually travel to Hawaii with my bow and the handgun trick isn’t an option

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
I have been present on all TSA inspections of my Bow. TSA sees a quality Pelican or SKB case, red flags go up!
Once thru initial security scan, my Pelican carry on gets pulled aside to inspect, every time!

Last season I checked the pistol-locked case in a Pelican case of my gear too. That way I'm declaring two WEAPONS. And present right there when TSA inspects my checked weapon luggage. They have me unlock the 2 cases, inspect as I'm 5' away observing, then ask me back over to lock cases. Security TSA tape gets wrapped around and off the 2 checked bags go.
Upon landing, no need to go to baggage carousel. Just go to airline baggage office, they hand carry those "weapon bags" there.

**Edit Note: I fly Alaska Airlines exclusively. Over 30 flights in 5 years, this has been my experience**

Last edited:

ia bhtr

FNG
Same as the above post , I have gotten in the habit of asking for an inspection while I am present , explaining what is in the case , then it gets sealed as it was originally and then gets marked as inspected

TX_Diver

WKR
I have been present on all TSA inspections of my Bow. TSA sees a quality Pelican or SKB case, red flags go up!
Once thru initial security scan, my Pelican carry on gets pulled aside to inspect, every time!

Last season I checked the pistol-locked case in a Pelican case of my gear too. That way I'm declaring two WEAPONS. And present right there when TSA inspects my checked weapon luggage. They have me unlock the 2 cases, inspect as I'm 5' away observing, then ask me back over to lock cases. Security TSA tape gets wrapped around and off the 2 checked bags go.
Upon landing, no need to go to baggage carousel. Just go to airline baggage office, they hand carry those "weapon bags" there.

I've had bags with pistols just come out on the carousel before many times.

Regarding the OP I picked up a Legend Everest case last year and love it. I've only flown on 2 trips with it so long term durability is still to be tested, but plenty of room for the bow, and your clothes around it, etc. Optics go in my carry on.

Reactions: Oso
Enki double bow case....can’t believe more people don’t use this case...

How easy is it to stabilize bows in that case? Looks like they just slide in from one side. Definitely looks like a good bow case, I like that several of the other options allow you to pack gear and bows, seems that enki case is a great bow/arrow case.

Hoot

WKR
How easy is it to stabilize bows in that case? Looks like they just slide in from one side. Definitely looks like a good bow case, I like that several of the other options allow you to pack gear and bows, seems that enki case is a great bow/arrow case.
The bows are super stable, but that might be the only downfall, you can’t get much for extra gear in there if you are packing two bows. Clothing definitely fits, but things like boots or any other bulky items don’t fit. I can fit all my soft clothing in there with two bows, though.

Oso

FNG
I've had bags with pistols just come out on the carousel before many times.

Regarding the OP I picked up a Legend Everest case last year and love it. I've only flown on 2 trips with it so long term durability is still to be tested, but plenty of room for the bow, and your clothes around it, etc. Optics go in my carry on.

Not to derail the topic, but my rifle case has come out of the oversized baggage carousel every time. One time an agent was there and asked for ID, but other times I picked it up and walked away with no one checking. I have never had to pick it up at the office. Meanwhile, I had to retrieve my bow case from the office last time and show an ID.

Beendare

WKR
I think one of the keys on these traveling bow hunts is to have the luggage capacity to bring extra gear. A single bow case makes this tough. When you use a heavy case that almost 20#...this also restricts your capacity.

No matter what case you use, have a packing system that organizes your gear...as TSA will open it....and they won't pack it back well. Pack so there is no possibility of something sharp against your string or cables.

I now use the Sitka Nomad exclusively. Its 11#...so I can pack a ton of gear. I did a DIY drop camp for moose and got all of my hunt gear, all of the camping gear...and food in 2 bags; a duffle and the nomad.

I use a cheapie soft case and put my compound in it at the bottom, them pack arrows and BH's in a tube with holes so TSA can see without opening. I sort gear in Clear ziplocks. Then I pack a bunch of clothes in around that gear to protect it....works slick.

I gave my SKB double bow case to a member here...I wasn't using it.

___

Flying out tomorrow morning with SKB 4117 only weights 11lbs. Its not TSA rated; however, I know a couple guys that fly all over with this case and never has failed. You an pack a fair amount of clothing around the bow as well.

Anyone ever have an issue with gear that was broken on purpose? I've heard of broken arrows and one writer in a Bow Hunting magazine say his sight pins were

Correct they inspect it then you put your own( non tsa) locks on it and you’re good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yes, it must be YOUR locks. If they want access they need to request the key from you. They are supposed to inspect in your presence but I’ve had them take it to the back room and not let me in. I did not make a fuss in this case (did submit a formal complaint after) but it’s an FAA federal law they have to follow.