Bow Case Recommendations?

Jax

FNG
How do you guys travel with bow, by plane or vehicle? What are some recommendations for a bow case? Or are they unecessary? I thought I have read they are required by law.

D

david long

You can't go wrong with anything made by SKB. They make the best cases on the market IMO.

Ziggy

FNG
I use a SKB 4114A when flying. Its a two bow case but I put one bow in and pack clothes in there as well. Its worked well for me.

Matt Palmquist

Lil-Rokslider
I talked to several guys that travel a lot every year and they recommended a tuffpak bowcase (wide). They are pricey, but you can fit a lot of gear along with your bow and it looks more like a golf case so you don't have issues with anti-hunters at an airport. With that said, I picked up a nice SKB at a convention auction for $90 so I decided it would work for me for the time being:)

http://www.nalpak.com/Tuffpak-1442-Bow-Case-Wide

Last edited:

J-Daddy

WKR
I bought a Lakewood case last year before I flew out to Utah and I really like it. It is heavy but it's well padded inside and has alot of storage room. Plus you can get them in camo so you can keep up the redneck profile, lol "yes mine is camo".

keep

Lil-Rokslider
I use the skb 4114a as well. I've had it for 5 or 6 yrs and I can't tell you how many flights it has been on. It's not pretty any more but still very effective

I won't trust my gear when flying to anything but a Storm, Pelican, or SKB. When I am not flying...I don't see the need. Most of my trips are short. In Colorado I can be to my trailheads in 2-3 hours and I can be to my Mule Deer hunting areas in Kansas in 5. So soft cases or NONE are more my style. Easier to pack and store and travel with.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
How do you guys transport your bows when on an ATV? Hard case strapped on or put in trailer? Or on some sort of rack mount?

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
You can't go wrong with anything made by SKB. They make the best cases on the market IMO.

Unfortunately I have to disagree with David on the low-end SKB cases. I owned a case from SKB's Entry level Hunter series and was not impressed. While it fit my Mathews MR 7 like a glove, it developed a 3" crack within a month of purchase. The case was not abused and was just used to transport my bow in the back of my SUV.

I will say that SKB'S customer service was great, and they exchanged my case without any hassle.

I now own a Plano AW which was the same price as the SKB, and while it is heavy it is bomb-proof and TSA approved (the SKB Hunter is not).

BigSurArcher

Banned
I've flown three times using the Doskocil hard case. Never had a problem. There's plenty of room inside, so I always put my hard arrow case in there with it along with some camo clothing (between the arrow case and the bow). For driving to and from local hunts, I just use one of the camo padded soft cases with the long zip-up pocket for arrows. Don't leave your bow in it with the arrows in the quiver for long if it's warm! Your vanes will warp. Learned that the other day after a hog hunt.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
How do you guys transport your bows when on an ATV? Hard case strapped on or put in trailer? Or on some sort of rack mount?

Was hoping to get this back on track in regards to ATV transportation of bow. We use ATVs to get through some really ROUGH country and just looking for the best combo of protection and quick access. ???

BigSurArcher

Banned
Was hoping to get this back on track in regards to ATV transportation of bow. We use ATVs to get through some really ROUGH country and just looking for the best combo of protection and quick access. ???

If I were gonna be doing a lot of ATV transportation, I think I would build a box out of 3/8" plywood just a little bigger than the manufacturers cardboard bow box. Inside each wall of the box would be a thin layer of soft foam with carpet on top, just enough so that the bow would fit nice and snug. Put it all together with a hinged latchable door on one end and there you have it. Mount it to the front rack and you can still pile stuff on top. If you need the bow just open the end and slide it out. But that's just me anyway, and I'm a real tinkerer.

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
Or something like this:
yhst-97275704779777_2208_152533553

http://www.offroadhunting.com/atvbowcase.html

vcb

WKR
Dont have to worry about how to transport a bow on a atv. I stay far away from you guys in wilderness areas!!

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dont have to worry about how to transport a bow on a atv. I stay far away from you guys in wilderness areas!!
Occasionally we take wheelers where no else will go and then put many more miles on foot. Its an Alaskan thing. We use wheelers to get us to a place we can hike for high country. Such trips are not imaginable in the L48...