Bow exploded

One week before my archery backpack hunt and one month before my out of state wyoming muley hunt. From what I can tell the cam broke and then the top limbs shattered. I just put on new strings and was getting it tuned up. I’m pretty crushed and probably looking at going back to the stick bow or borrowing my buddies early 90s Hoyt that I can shoot fairly well. I hate archery!!!!

Brendan

WKR
That sucks, but lesson learned. Always, always, always have a backup bow.

A couple years ago I had it happen to me, although not this close. Walked into a shop and bought a new prime the next day so I'd be ready.

Get a bow, get it shooting. You can get it done and be ready.

That sucks, but lesson learned. Always, always, always have a backup bow.

A couple years ago I had it happen to me, although not this close. Walked into a shop and bought a new prime the next day so I'd be ready.

Get a bow, get it shooting. You can get it done and be ready.

I did this last year. Broken bow one day, new prime the next.

I still feel robbed of the fun bow shopping experience. I think next year I am going to do some shooting and see what I like. Maybe the prime ct3 will become my back up....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I feel for you. A week before my 2017 season my two lower limbs splintered so got new limbs. May 2018 a yoke loop broke at full draw and the bow exploded. New cams, new limbs, new hardware, new strings and back to shooting. On the exact same day a year later in 2019 a new d-loop broke while the bow was on my draw board. Broke a cam but the cables held well so the limbs were fine. After putting the new cam on I discovered that the top limb bolt had stripped out the riser. So had a custom rifle maker put a helicoil in it and it's back to shooting shape. But I have another limb that has a splinter now, but it's shooting well and too close to the season so I keep shooting it. I have a backup, but really like this bow.........we've grown close with all the time I've put into it. I don't give up easily. Hope you figure something out.

4rcgoat

WKR
Man....this shit gives me nightmares,im always waiting for my turn,at least this year i have a backup bow.

NYSKIER

WKR
Had this happen twice totally not fun. Is got me getting worried now with my hunts less than a month out

Bowtech?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

PSE decree HD 70lbs 29in draw gold tip kinetic pierce platinum 300 spine TAW 476grains, MBG 3 pin ascent, 12/8in bee stinger stabs, field points.

From the cold bow challenge. I was wondering myself what it might have been. Assuming that's it.

OP
willfrye027
PSE decree HD 70lbs 29in draw gold tip kinetic pierce platinum 300 spine TAW 476grains, MBG 3 pin ascent, 12/8in bee stinger stabs, field points.

From the cold bow challenge. I was wondering myself what it might have been. Assuming that's it.

Yup that’s it. Still not exactly sure what happened. It’s entirely possible that the string slipped off the tracks on the cam and I drew without noticing. It popped a ways before hitting the peak of the draw cycle. It was the first time drawing it after twisting a cable while tuning. I don’t think PSE will warranty it, im not the original owner and not a pro shop.

I may start looking for a new bow. It’s hard to stomach and I feel like taking a break from archery for awhile...but these upcoming hunts are almost here and I want to give myself the best chance of success

IN_Varmntr

Lil-Rokslider
That sucks, OP, sorry to hear that. Lots of used bows if you are comfortable going that route. Probably be faster to walk into a shop and buy what's on the shelf, even if it's not what you really want. Hopefully it would at least save your season.

I just restrung my Prime the other day and had quadruple checked everything because it's just my luck that something would happen and I'd lose my primary bow this close to season. Now I always draw them back on my draw board first that way I can slowly draw it and stop if needed without letting it down. I've forgotten to reset draw stops on my Athens bows that didn't have over-rotation pegs and guess what? Yeah, it's not a good feeling to have a locked up bow in your arms.

OP
willfrye027
I ended up finding a used replacement bow on AT. It won’t make it in time to hunt this weekend, but it’s a low stakes weekend hunt for small local deer. I’ve got this old Hoyt supreme from the 90s that I’m borrowing and it’s shooting incredible for me. Grouping almost as well as my (broken) bow out to 60 yards. Not fast, but very forgiving. Sure has me thinking about how much emphasis I place on technology and having the latest and greatest. If I’ve learned anything from this experience....it’s that I need to relax and enjoy the hunting. I almost let this stupid bow explosion ruin my opening day that I’ve been waiting for a year to get here. I doubt the buck will care whether or not it’s a carbon or aluminum arrow slicing through their vitals!

mzurovec

FNG
Bad luck man. Not even in the same league, but I had the same thing happen to my backup bow on Saturday. Had me scratching my head on what the hell would happen if I was on the mountain?

Good luck on your hunts! I bet that old Hoyt does just fine.

wapitibob

WKR
You could get a pawn shop bow and be hunting in a few hours. Don’t let little things get you down.

Rule no2, always check cables after pressing