Bow for pack hunting

paulv2585

FNG
Ok, its a simple and easy question. I'm searching for a new to me bow for my elk hunt this sept. I currently have a RPM 360 and love it but it seems a little heavy for hiking and hunting. I'm torn between bows based on weight of the bow and speed. I have a set speed of 280 +/- with a minimum of 450 grain arrow setup. The bows I'm torn between are a Prime (Centergy, Logic, ION), Bowtech Carbon Icon, or a used Hoyt (Carbon Defiant, RX-1, Carbon Spider)

The question I have for others that have hunted elk in the back country, Should I be focused on the weight of the bow that much? I am also wondering what speeds people might be getting with their different bow (specifically one of the bows I'm looking into) setups. I'm more focused on if I should be keeping my attention on a light bow specifically or not.

Now please I am open to any and all information and am completely open minded when it comes to this stuff. If I'm crazy please tell me.

I wouldn't worry about the weight of your bow. Particularly if you are confident with the bow. You can save weight in other areas. Now if you don't like your bow, that's another story. Get another bow ;)

big44a4

WKR
Same along lines as trophy. Shoot what you shoot best. I have never weighed any of my bows. I have 8 total oz just on my hunting stabilizer. A 5 arrow quiver with 5 500-550gr arrows haven’t decided on setup this year. So overall it’s heavier than most, but that’s what I shoot best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spence14

WKR
I caught this same bug this year. I have a mathews traverse that shoots like a dream, but I thought it might be too heavy. I picked up an RX3 (used) and shot it for a couple weeks... No way I could leave the traverse. Too smooth, quiet, steady etc.. Determined I’d rather tote a heavier bow than one I’m not comfortable shooting. I did however change out the stabs and the sight to try to cut the weight down on the traverse. It feels much better now.

Rob5589

WKR
Your bow probably isn't as heavy as you think in comparison to newer bows. That said, you are in luck as there are a ton of great bows on the market. Best way is to get to a shop and shoot a bunch.

OP
P

paulv2585

FNG
Thanks for all of the replies! I figured I'm just being more paranoid than needed being that this will be my first hunting trip out of a tent/pack. I have been shooting bows over and over and over for about 3 month now. There are way too many good bows out there and I have yet to shoot one I really didn't like.

Personally, I think it's a little late to be tinkering with switching bows. I assume you're doing an early season archery hunt, so that puts you only about 3 months out. That's not a lot of time to find a bow, get it tuned, build arrows, and practice a lot. I'd just take the one you have this year and look for a slightly used bow after this season (when everyone is unloading slightly used bows.

And i'll echo what everyone else said. I don't worry at all about the weight of my weapon. I make sure my weapon is accurate and I'm accurate with it.

Brendan

WKR
Whatever you do, have a backup bow. If you don't have one, keep your current, and start setting up an additional one. Could save a hunt.

Weight is a personal thing, as is feel, etc. I personally am back to my RX1 Ultra for this year.

[email protected]

Lil-Rokslider
As much as I want to pack a carbon bow they are so light that They don’t hold as steady for me, I’m sticking with my energy 35 boat anchor for now anyway.

87TT

WKR
Plus 2 on a backup bow. Accidents happen. I have both bows set up with the same sights and they both use the same Tight Spot quiver (extra bracket) and stabilizer(quick disconnect). I shoot both regularly. Has saved the day before or at least the week.

pbcarch

WKR
I bought the prime ion in 2016 solely for back pack hunting. I subsequently added more primes to my stable :)
But for me I find the ion easier to strap to the back pack ( but you only do this going in or going out) and nice to hold in my hand being shorter, while hunting through the mountains. With the 5 arrow tight spot quiver on it it is a hair heavier then my 33in bows set up with 3 arrow quivers for tree stand white tails.
I though weight would be an issue initially but it really is not. What I do think is most important is being comfortable and confident in shooting whatever bow and set up you have. I too would be concerned that 3 months from archery season investing in a brand new set up would be not wise
Paul

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
The carbon bows like the Hoyt RX3's are NOT much lighter than the aluminum versions (if at all). I had an RX3, wasn't liking it after a couple hundred shots and went back to my old aluminum Spyder 34. Was really hoping it'd work out because I don't have a back-up bow like others have suggested.

At a minimum, if you can't have a back-up bow, have back-up parts. My control cable frayed last weekend but I had a spare from an old string set fortunately. It threw off my broadhead VS field point POI but I can re-tune it in a day.

Your ability to shoot a bow well is first and foremost, but if you've got 2 bows that feel equally good I recommend taking the lighter one. Like YZF pointed out, Hoyt's carbon bows aren't as light as you'd think. There's aluminum bows being made with similar specs and identical weights. I have no dog in the fight but the only carbon bow I'd buy because of saving weight PSE is the way I'd go. Whatever direction you go, take 2 bows and 2 releases.

Prime alloy, loaded down with b stinger stabs and quiver. Not an area I look to save weight. It is very steady in the hand. If you shoot longer ranges, you'll want a bow that holds well.

Take two bows if you can. Always a spare release and practice with it.

OP
P

paulv2585

FNG
I def plan on taking two bows and releases on this trip. I'm not getting rid of the RPM just going through all of the issues I could potentially run into out in the field. I already have two releases and practice daily rotating each. I guess I'll just go with whatever I like and can find at a reasonable price.

Bojangles21

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Hoyt defiant and I love it, shot a few carbon defiants and they’re awesome! Don’t weigh too much and don’t get cold. Like many people said I wouldn’t worry about the weight of the bow too much, just like if you’re confident with your gun at all ranges, wouldn’t want to get a new gun to cut down alittle weight but not be confident ya know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll say what everyone else is saying. I know guys talk a lot about the weight of their rifle. But for some reason the weight of my bow wouldn’t make me change a thing about it. Rx1 with a heavy sight, heavy arrows, etc. a lighter bow won’t make you shoot better man!