Bow/Gear Storage on Bivy Hunt?

StillBald

FNG
My plan is not to truly bivy hunt, but I have a UL 2 person tent I love that just doesn't have vestibule or floor space for two packs and two bows. I do have a 3 person tent that would work, but it seems ridiculously palatial in size and doesn't pack down as nicely.

You guys (and gals) that bivy hunt or have tents with limited vestibule space, what do you do with your packs and bows at night? Do you cover them in a trashbag (avoid rain) and hang them in a tree (avoid rodents), or what has worked best for you?

I have one of those primos bow slings and put my bow in that at night . It covers the strings and cams. and also use a backpack cover for my backpack, and tuck the straps underneath to keep it. It may not matter but it gives me piece of mind to rodents. I just get the cover all tightened up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stephane110

Lil-Rokslider
I spent 21 days out last September, and I just hunt my bow in a nearby tree every thing. If it looked like it was going to rain heavily (only happened a couple times), then I put a contractor garbage bag over it.

Bow will be fine in a tree or contractor bag. Same for pack but its nice to have your clothes and boots within reach.
If you are doing two dudes in an UL 2 person tent bow and pack storage probably isn't your biggest concern

dsayer

FNG
Have fun putting 2 grown men in a 2 person tent, especially after 7 days of stink and sweat. I'd ask my buddy to pack his own tent, problem solved.

Else, your bow and pack will be fine outside on the ground, ask everyone who sleeps in a floorless.
Haha! Our group has evolved into a group of dudes carrying solo shelters for exactly this reason.

My plan is not to truly bivy hunt, but I have a UL 2 person tent I love that just doesn't have vestibule or floor space for two packs and two bows. I do have a 3 person tent that would work, but it seems ridiculously palatial in size and doesn't pack down as nicely.

You guys (and gals) that bivy hunt or have tents with limited vestibule space, what do you do with your packs and bows at night? Do you cover them in a trashbag (avoid rain) and hang them in a tree (avoid rodents), or what has worked best for you?
Simply said, have your buddy pack his own UL tent. Two dudes in 2 man UL tent (which is really a 1 man tent) on a multi-day hunt ain't gonna work. Save yourself the headaches and discomfort and take the advice.

dsayer

FNG
Simply said, have your buddy pack his own UL tent. Two dudes in 2 man UL tent (which is really a 1 man tent) on a multi-day hunt ain't gonna work. Save yourself the headaches and discomfort and take the advice.
And I've never had an issue with keeping my pack and weapon of choice inside the vestibule area. My stabilizer sticks out a bit in my new shelter but... It's a stabilizer. I am using my 6 Moon Designs Gatewood Cape this year but have used a Tarptent Moment the last few seasons.

Vandy321

WKR
Especially if you're both eating Mtn House 3x's/day, if ya know what I mean

cnelk

WKR
Highly recommend NOT leaving the bow on the ground.
Mice just love to chew on that waxed bowstring

OP
S

StillBald

FNG
I appreciate your folks' replies. I've used the tent before for backpacking, and it does fit two adults, but we've always just piled our bags in the small vestibule. Adding bows to the mix is just too much to fit and I'm glad to hear my thoughts were mostly on the right track. Thanks!

Scoot

WKR
2 guys in a ul2 is a recipe for disaster. At the very least do a practice run like that somewhere so you both realize how much you need a 4 man tent or 2 separate tents.

OP
S

StillBald

FNG
2 guys in a ul2 is a recipe for disaster. At the very least do a practice run like that somewhere so you both realize how much you need a 4 man tent or 2 separate tents.
Like I said, I've used this tent before with two people. No biggie. Thanks!

Scoot

WKR
Like I said, I've used this tent before with two people. No biggie. Thanks!
Gotcha-- I didn't see that info when I typed my reply. I can't fathom a 2 man ul like you're describing, but sounds like you're fine with it. Good luck and have fun!

mproberts

WKR
Gotcha-- I didn't see that info when I typed my reply. I can't fathom a 2 man ul like you're describing, but sounds like you're fine with it. Good luck and have fun!
Haha agreed.. I don't even like sleeping in a 2person UL tent with my wife who is tiny.