Bow Geeks, please help. Mathews HTR underperforming.

J_hol

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Guys,

Ive got a 2015 Mathews HTR (bought new last summer) that will not shoot as fast as it should (according to Software for Archers).

-Actual poundage is 66.8 (limbs completely tight)
-Arrow weight is 401grains
-Arrow length is 29" from nock point to front of shaft.
-Nothing on string besides loop.
-Actual AMO draw length 28.5"
-Factory string about one year old.

Chrono speed averaged at 69 FPS and the software says I should be putting out 76 FPS.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance, please let me know if you need more info.

UtahJimmy

WKR
Hey Guys,

Ive got a 2015 Mathews HTR (bought new last summer) that will not shoot as fast as it should (according to Software for Archers).

-Actual poundage is 66.8 (limbs completely tight)
-Arrow weight is 401grains
-Arrow length is 29" from nock point to front of shaft.
-Nothing on string besides loop.
-Actual AMO draw length 28.5"
-Factory string about one year old.

Chrono speed averaged at 69 FPS and the software says I should be putting out 76 FPS.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance, please let me know if you need more info.
Does the arrow consistently go where you want it to go?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

The farther away from a 30" draw you get, the worse a Matthews is going to do. I tested a few bows when I bought mine. All at 27", 70 lbs, and my 395 grain arrow I shot at the time. The Chill R shot 275, my Hoyt did 296. The cams are designed to be most effective at 30", every step below that they get less and less efficient. Some companies are better than others at short draw lengths, Matthews is terrible.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
I'm not a Mathews guy but measure you ATA length see if you strings/cables have stretched. Is it a 65# bow? The software programs aren't completely accurate either.

OR Archer

WKR
If you're bow is only peaking out at 66# you need to press the bow and add 4 twists to each cable and then recheck the weight. Once you get the poundage you'll need to retime the bow. The 4 pound gain isn't going to gain you a whole lot though. The HTR is only a 318 IBO bow with the 85% mods. It's just not a fast bow to begin with.

OP
J_hol

J_hol

Lil-Rokslider
If you're bow is only peaking out at 66# you need to press the bow and add 4 twists to each cable and then recheck the weight. Once you get the poundage you'll need to retime the bow. The 4 pound gain isn't going to gain you a whole lot though. The HTR is only a 318 IBO bow with the 85% mods. It's just not a fast bow to begin with.

That makes sense because my ATA is 33 1/8" but the timing marks are pretty much perfect right now. Should I tighten the string anyway? Also, I have a 65% let-off currently.

OR Archer

WKR
Leave the string alone and just put the twist in the cables. I wouldn't worry about the ATA measurement either. An 1/8" out isn't out of the norm. Just get the bow up to 70, retime it, and then check your tune. The 4lbs should get you another 8fps roughly.

mtnhntr

WKR
I was having the exact same issue with mine, and the techs told me to do exactly what's been described here with the cables. I had it maxed out, and knew it wasn't at 70#...the techs said that it's a cable stretch issue, and it's a known flaw. I shoot a very heavy arrow set-up, so I need all the speed I can get...

OP
J_hol

J_hol

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks all for the info! Just waiting on a bow press, i'll let you know how it turns out.

I would replace th string and cables. Two things I think Mathews lacks at is being honest with IBO and making strings. I'm sure with a new set of strings and a good tune you will see an improvement.

OP
J_hol

J_hol

Lil-Rokslider
She's back to spec. and shooting my 411 grn arrow at 277 FPS @ 70lbs. That's definitely slower than IBO, but I guess I'll take it. I've got some new Winner's Choice cables and string on the way too.

It's just making arrow selection tricky at this point, I'd like to shoot something a little heavier with a greater FOC. Looking at Black Eagle Rampage.

Your setup at 411 grains at 270 fps is everything you need. You bought a slower bow. It isn't slow but, it is slower by comparison to other choices. Keep things in perspective.

OP
J_hol

J_hol

Lil-Rokslider
I agree completely and don't get me wrong, I love my bow. It's very smooth and extremely accurate, I'd just love for it to put out the speed at which it's rated.

mtnhntr

WKR
I'm going to dig out my chrono this weekend and see what kind of speed I'm getting from my HTR. I do miss my 80# bow though - I shoot a 560gr arrow and dropping just the 10# I can see the dramatic changes in pin spacing in my sight. I use to be able to squeak a pin in for 90 yards, but now I'm lucky to get a 70 yard pin. Just makes us better hunters - right? :cool:

I agree completely and don't get me wrong, I love my bow. It's very smooth and extremely accurate, I'd just love for it to put out the speed at which it's rated.
A lot of the manufacturers ratings are on the optimistic side. You'd have done yourself a favor by not running any arrows through a chrono with that bow. Just make sure the timing and tune is good and forget about the speed.