Bow Grip Torque Question

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
I have always preferred a narrower grip. Removed the grip on my AM32 and now shoot off the riser on my Prime. Just seems to fit my hand better and allows for a more consistent grip. I only wish the riser was more "squared" on my Prime like the Hoyt's... I would say try it, I don't think it'd change anything negatively...

PhillyB

WKR
I have a Hoyt. If I remove the wooden grip and replace it with side plates am I changing nothing or is no grip WAY better?

On my AM32 the side plates made no difference. Felt the same as no handle.

I picked up some "gripz" tape made for tennis rackets and it was awesome. Tacky enough to help with the grip, but not bulky at all. One roll meant for a tennis racket did my handle two or three times. So when the tape got nasty from sweat, I just took it off and re-wrapped it.

Picked it up at Big5

Whisky

WKR
I tried the whole shooting off the riser thing. Thought I liked it at first. Turns out, I don't. I shot that way for a couple weeks. It also lengthens your DL a tad. I put the wood factory grip back on and have been working pretty hard on improving the consistency in my grip lately, and torque. I agree self centering is the way to go (ie no rubber crap).

I've never tried side plates.

whaletail

FNG
You will want to experiment a bit and see how your arrows are grouping right and left at longer distances. It depends a lot on your riser shape in my opinion. Some cater well to side plates and some don't. I went from stock grip on my Destroyer to side plates and now to a Torqueless low grip. Very pleased.

Lawnboi

WKR
Try right off the riser with some atheletic tape. That's what I use. Had side plates as well, just prefer right off the riser with the tape.

OP
Brandon Pattison
I was considering putting some silicon on the grip to get rid of the ridge at the front. Mostly just for comfort.

I pulled the wood grip off my hoyt and sanded all of the contours off, sort of like a Torqueless grip. Then I put tung oil and finish on it and re-installed it. I like it better than shooting off the bare riser... the riser was cold and it also messed with my draw length a tad.

It is a personal preference. You need to just play around with it. I have a wooden grip on my Vector turbo. I shoot that bow lights out!!
I took the rubber grip off of my matrix and put on a shrewd grip. But man I think I can shoot that vector turbo better than the matrix

OP
Brandon Pattison
That sounds like too much work for me. Anyone want to trade sidegrips for a Spyder Turbo grip?

I pulled the wood grip off my hoyt and sanded all of the contours off, sort of like a Torqueless grip. Then I put tung oil and finish on it and re-installed it. I like it better than shooting off the bare riser... the riser was cold and it also messed with my draw length a tad.