Bow Help - Peep Rotation

wildernessmaster

Lil-Rokslider
Let me start this with, I have done my research...

I know what causes peep rotation and the ways you can fix it.

Mission Ballistic 2.0 bow. I bought it in 2018 as an "emergency" bow when I blew up my main bow hunting elk in Montana. It was new (supposedly from a reasonably good reputation shop). I have probably shot it the most of my bows, and I would say has 400+ arrows through it.

I noticed this year while training that the peep started creeping counter clockwise slightly, so I would adjust my d-loop and bring it back around. That worked for a few months but just before the season "slightly" became 1/4+ of the sight rotated. Fortunately I have a backup bow.

I know you are suppose to fix it by putting a twist in the bottom cable. I have gotten into archery/bow hunting, so I just got my press in and decided my first "task" would be to resolve my peep issue. I love this bow as it is a very short axle, extremely quiet bow and would rather have it in a tree with me than my other.

So I pressed the bow. If I twisted the string in the direction that fixed the peep, I notice the bow string was beginning to loosen and fibers spread, so I decided to take it a full twist the opposite way. The peep was perfectly straight, and I also adjusted my d loop back around.

I shot the bow 1x and the peep god aweful rotated back counter clockwise.

I am guessing my strings are just shot, even though they look in good condition. Is that a valid guess or is there anything else I should try?

Luke Stephens

Trial153

WKR
Let me start this with, I have done my research...

I know what causes peep rotation and the ways you can fix it.

Mission Ballistic 2.0 bow. I bought it in 2018 as an "emergency" bow when I blew up my main bow hunting elk in Montana. It was new (supposedly from a reasonably good reputation shop). I have probably shot it the most of my bows, and I would say has 400+ arrows through it.

I noticed this year while training that the peep started creeping counter clockwise slightly, so I would adjust my d-loop and bring it back around. That worked for a few months but just before the season "slightly" became 1/4+ of the sight rotated. Fortunately I have a backup bow.

I know you are suppose to fix it by putting a twist in the bottom cable. I have gotten into archery/bow hunting, so I just got my press in and decided my first "task" would be to resolve my peep issue. I love this bow as it is a very short axle, extremely quiet bow and would rather have it in a tree with me than my other.

So I pressed the bow. If I twisted the string in the direction that fixed the peep, I notice the bow string was beginning to loosen and fibers spread, so I decided to take it a full twist the opposite way. The peep was perfectly straight, and I also adjusted my d loop back around.

I shot the bow 1x and the peep god aweful rotated back counter clockwise.

I am guessing my strings are just shot, even though they look in good condition. Is that a valid guess or is there anything else I should try?

Luke Stephens
Luke, your guess is correct. Any "fix " at this point is band aid waiting to fall off and at best very temporary.

Especially with you having press I would cut to the chase a buy a new string set properly built.

peterk123

WKR
Luke, strings these days are usually pretty good and should not be stretching on you. I found the best way to deal with a pesky peep is to remove it and re-spread the strands, effectively re-orienting the peep to where you want it. I would expect new strings to move on you, not ones that have been on the bow for some time.

I'm sure folks much smarter than about this stuff will chime in.

Pete

Slim Jim

WKR
If you slide your peep up or down just an 1/8” it’ll fix a slight rotation. I do this after getting the straightness of peep to get it exactly where I need it. Then I’ll mark the location on the string with a marker to make sure it doesn’t ever move form that location from multiple shots or even getting bumped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
How tightly you tie it in can also cause rotation, so you could start there as well. I'd probably take it out, mark the string with a sharpie, shoot it a bunch, and see if the string is still rotating without it. If it is........I'd get good strings. If it isn't, I'd put it back in.

Beendare

WKR
Assuming you have the peep installed correctly on a good string that is already tuned;

You simply add a 1/2 twist to the top and take a 1/2 twist off the bottom...or vice versa until its perfect. This doesn't change any tune.

Simply putting a twist on one end shortens the string slightly which only helps if the string is stretching....otherwise it might change a perfect tune on a string that isn't stretching.

You don't want to move it up or down as that changes your draw alignment.

Rob5589

WKR
Agree. Stock strings on a 3 year old bow, time to swap them out. Buckslayer, Archeryshack, Hogwire, Breathn, all great threads.

Reactions: Zac