Bow hunting coastal Roosevelt elk.

Cbled

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all,
Curious to hear from people that have hunted Roosevelt elk with a bow. What worked in terms of tactics and any things you’ve learned about Rosie’s in general.
I drew a great tag in an area with a big river and lots of flats in the valley surrounded by steep thick forest with some newer clear cuts and some older as well.
My plan will be to get there before the season opens and locate the freshest sign, after that I’m not exactly sure the best approach. The season runs from early October to the middle of December. Pressure should be pretty low.
Any thoughts or advice are greatly appreciated.

garrett24

FNG
It really depends on time of year, the biggest of bulls will not be seen in re-prod or clear cuts, they will push cows with them into thick flat drainages or canyon bottoms, hunting the coast is tough you will see a lot more elk glassing clear cuts and those 3-8 year re-prods, however you have to have so many things go right to be able to kill them in there, wind seems to shift every 20 minutes at the coast, my best of luck is finding fresh sign in the thick stuff then using onx to find good topo productive of holding elk then shoot off a sequence of cow calls wait for response, a location bugle and lastly if not response a bugle w/ a chuckle and if no response move on, all about covering ground and finding that bull that is rutty and willing to play the game

drpnw

FNG
thanks for the angry spike and tradquest recs, this is good info.

Born and Raised have a lot of Roosevelt content too.

Aside from the obvious stuff about how miserable the terrain usually is, prepare to go potentially long amounts of time without hearing a bugle. Even when you are positive you are around elk. In my experience they just call less, and bugles get swallowed up by the terrain and vegetation. It can be mentally taxing.

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
Born and Raised have a lot of Roosevelt content too.

Aside from the obvious stuff about how miserable the terrain usually is, prepare to go potentially long amounts of time without hearing a bugle. Even when you are positive you are around elk. In my experience they just call less, and bugles get swallowed up by the terrain and vegetation. It can be mentally taxing.
For sure.