Bow hunting coyotes

PAhntr91

WKR
Anyone bow hunting coyotes. Thinking of trying some this winter don’t have much experience hunting predators. Should I try mouth calls first or pick up a electronic call. Features for good set up? anything helps. I’m in the north east

Wvroach

WKR
Never bowhunted them, it pays to be mobile in my area with predator hunting. either type of call will work but Ive had much more success with electronic calls.

Something to keep in mind if doing a bowhunt is they are most active at night are you going to be able to see through your peep and have the sights lined up in time, yotes move quick, a typical field I hunt has around 200 square yards of opening and most times when they come out it's less than 5 seconds before they are back in the wood line.

Wvroach

WKR
Understand, I think it's definitely doable but around here our dogs come in quick and go just as quick would most certainly be challenging. Also staying mobile works much better around here at least if you call for 30-45 mins and don't get a response move along to the next spot.

OP
P

PAhntr91

WKR
You hunting off the ground or in a stand? I have a .270. Not sure if that would be to much fire power. What time of day you usually hunting

Wvroach

WKR
If your planning on selling the pelts it might be a bit much but if that's the case your better off trapping anyways. I usually use 223 or 17hmr. Haven't heard any of them complain about it.

OP
P

PAhntr91

WKR
Yeah that’s what I figured. I’m not interested in really selling I would like to keep them if I got some nice ones. I’m sure i would have a hard time finding a rifle at this time anyways

Wvroach

WKR
Well good luck and happy hunting, we aren't allowed to in wv until after January at night so check your regs not sure about pa

jmez

WKR
Use a ground blind if hunting with a bow. They are actually pretty tolerant of blinds. Good luck otherwise.

I've shot a couple out of a tree stand with a bow deer hunting. Seen many. Almost impossible to get dream on one with a bow, even when 15-20 foot off the ground.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

MTB

FNG
I've shot 3 with my bow over the years, but they were coincidence while in my deer stand and they happened to walk by at the wrong time. I can't imagine specifically targeting them with a bow, I have way too much fun with the 22-250....

"Think it’s worth doing ? Or just pick up a rifle?"

It boils down to what you want to do/experience. If you just want a few dead coyotes take the rifle. If you want to experience the challenge of bowhunting predators and are willing to accept some defeat along the way, take the bow. You win either way.

Last edited:

Brendan

WKR
I think I've killed 6 or 7, all with a bow, but all from a tree stand while hunting deer. Multiple have been called in with a simple mouth squeak to get them in range.

Set yourself up in cover where you can get them closer and it's doable.

Great practice making a shot on a smaller animal.

ad262d5eac3c88cdb779311643caf9ef.jpg

Rghunter2

FNG
like some of the others have said they are difficult to draw on. Shot one a couple years ago with my bow but everything lined up just right. I’ve tried to draw on several with no luck.