Bow Hunting Pigs

GRUBECHA

FNG
Does anyone have experience spot and stalk/still hunting with a bow for pigs? Moving to Texas soon so looking to give it a try.
Habitat to concentrate on? Habits to know about? Any tips would be greatly appreciated

Beendare

WKR
Hogs could be my favorite thing to stalk with a bow.

They tend to move a lot while feeding so when they are out and about I like to get very close shots. When bedded, a lot of times they lump together in a big pile.

They have incredible noses, and they can see movement but if you move very slowly, at a distance they have a hard time making you out. Anything shining or glistening in the sun will give you away of course.

Just like any other animal they can pattern human footsteps. If you step on something and make a noise, stop. One crunch will not give you away but a pattern of crunches will.

Heres A couple of public land hogs from here in California that I stalked. both of these were in the rain which makes for better stalking conditions.

79F39620-DD13-4125-AB46-26315D1CF9DA.jpegB82F56AB-C645-44D0-8B5D-58701EE8ED8A.jpeg

OP
G

GRUBECHA

FNG
Cool, thanks for sharing.

Do you focus on any specific areas? Creek bottoms, ridges, thick stuff, etc?

slaton

Lil-Rokslider
I love to stalk pigs. We hunt costal Georgia so the terrain will be different than Texas. Just get the wind in your face and ease along slowly. Most of the time I hear them before I see them. We shoot any pig we come across no matter the size. They are a problem and the little ones get big quick and destroy property. My daughter had killed them with he 38lb bow and got pass through. Most pigs under 150 lbs the arrow will zip through without any problem. The big ones will take an arrow pretty good but they still die if you hit them in the lungs.

077d4150b42dcee20b5e767c7e9168a9.jpg

5f6a2ca8ec87c42b069ac06a2f6d6ef0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wherever there is a food/water source you’re likely to find pigs or traces of them. I’ve hunted in SW Central TX and East Texas. In E Texas they are likely to congregate in river bottoms to wallow/Waller in the water and mud. After a big rain you’ll find them out and about. If you’re on private property and feeding corn, you may see pigs more than deer which is great except during deer season. For SW and Central TX, they’re looking for water more than food. If you can find tracks or where they bed, you’ll be able to see them semi regularly.
As you can see below they can be quite large, and aggressive. Keep a sidearm on you, nothing quite as exhilarating or terrifying as blood trailing an wounded pig in the brush with the sun going down

Attachments

• 28CCB455-6BE5-4124-9AC4-6DAA2BA709CA.jpeg
    28CCB455-6BE5-4124-9AC4-6DAA2BA709CA.jpeg
    378.4 KB · Views: 20
  • E4A91910-A0EE-4315-A1EE-11381AF9243F.jpeg
    E4A91910-A0EE-4315-A1EE-11381AF9243F.jpeg
    611 KB · Views: 20

Beendare

WKR
Slaton,
that photo of your daughter with the hog is fantastic.

It has to be one of the best I’ve seen on any website as it truly captures the joy of hunting. Congrats And thanks for posting, It made my day.

Stalker69

WKR
If your moving to Texas your in hog heaven. Corn the “senderos “ roads. And sit and watch, then you can stalk them, WATCH THE WIND they can smell you from a long ways off, you can hunt them at night down there also, they are much more active after dark. Water is a key , especially when it’s hot. Set trail cameras over corn piles , around the tanks ( ponds) and you can pattern them, helps tremendously. They are a blast to hunt . Javelina are a blast to hunt down there also. We hunt a ranch around Uvalde, where you moving to ?

OP
G

GRUBECHA

FNG
I will be in College Station for a couple years going to grad school. Have been looking at some of the nearby national forests as starting points to poke around in