Bow hunting rifle season

NoRush24

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in Idaho and have continued to just hunt with my recurve through rifle season, without success yet but I just would rather walk my bow around for October than take a boom stick still. Anyone else dragging the ol stick and string out for rifle season? Any advice on possible better ways to get close to bucks that time of year?

I always buy an elk A tag, so I’m never really out when the rifle guys are.

I do use a mix of bow and rifle for bear and deer though, all the way up until muzzleloader. Then the smokepole comes out.

OP
N

NoRush24

Lil-Rokslider
I’m targeting deer and bear for rifle season. I also run around during archery elk. But just speaking for getting close in October.

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
I put my rifles away two years ago and now strictly bow hunt with traditional gear. I accomplished what I wanted to do with a rifle and decided to move onto a new challenge. It's tested my commitment a few times after watching some giant bucks calm walk past me at a distance that would have been a chip shot with a rifle but was to far for my skill level with a recurve.

I enjoy the challenge, and it's definitely made me a better woodsman and hunter. I got family and friends who constantly bust my chops about it but its what I want to do.

KRA-Z

FNG
I’m in Idaho and have continued to just hunt with my recurve through rifle season, without success yet but I just would rather walk my bow around for October than take a boom stick still. Anyone else dragging the ol stick and string out for rifle season? Any advice on possible better ways to get close to bucks that time of year?
I’m in Michigan, I bow hunt the entire season ( if I have to) as far as advice... just be quieter and more still than the gun hunters.... that and some luck will bring them in... I know Idaho is much more open than most places here, typically 100yrds with gun is a long shot... so 40-70yrds while bow hunting isn’t hard to bring them in...

If your scouting skills are really good, you can just make sure you’re opposite the gun hunters pressure, and they usually will push them to you, I’ve worked it that way a few times with success...

Depending on the weather and what I see when I'm scouting, there's a good chance my recurve will be going out with me for at least part of my mule deer hunt next month in CO. Like the OP, I prefer to carry my bow while hunting but when I hunt out west I'm also fine with toting the rifle when the situation calls for it.

smoke

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in Nebraska and bowhunt during the rifle season. Since I'm in the eastern part of the state, whitetails are the option so I'm in a stand - but required to wear hunter orange. I haven't had any issues with deer seeing the orange and since the hunt is during the rut, I can get away with more mistakes than at any other time of the year.

I bow hunt the whole season. Even during the Nebraska rifle season. Like said above. Wear orange and you can get away with mistakes because the deer are sometimes dumb during that special time of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SliverShooter

Lil-Rokslider
For me, whitetail season starts in earnest around the end of October, when the gun season begins. Like those above, I am required to wear hunter orange during the gun season. 1993 was the last time I hunted big game with a gun.