Bow Length/Stacking

Bendback

FNG
I would like to try a shorter bow. My draw length is 28” and I would like to keep the weight around #50. Just looking for suggestions for a one piece, boywer (or manufacture) recommendation and minimum length you’ve found good while maintaining a smooth shooting bow.

You can shoot shorter bows with a forward grip better than you can with a standard longbow grip. There’s several out there now these are just a few off the top of my head.

IE. Shrew, Java man, thunderchild, Sarrels, two tracks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldgoat

WKR
Longbows, check out Toelke, with a 28" draw you would be hard pressed to go wrong with his 56" Pika or 60" or 62” Whip. His Chinook recurve is very fast and very quiet. Other great thing about Toelke is there's no wait list and delivery is usually less than six weeks on a custom bow

jaybird76

FNG
I recently picked up a Big Stick Gremlin and it's a 56", 48lbs at 28". I draw a hair over 28 and haven't felt any significant stacking. Smooth all the way back.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
A couple guys shooting those short Shrew style longbows [Shrew, Maddog, Javaman] at our club and they love them.

I have yet to come across a lefty shooting one that I could try.....

manitou1

WKR
I am an ape and have a true 32.5" traditional draw. I had Black Widow make me a couple of bows that did not stack. A 58" PCH and a 60" PSA.

I like the look of the Toelkes. I've never shot one but I want to buy one in the future if possible. Mind you, I like the Pika for looking easy to pack in a bag or move around in the bush with, as my draw isn't long enough to be concerned about stacking with any bow.

tater

WKR
Stacking is not necessarily as much a function of the overall length of the bow as it is the bowyer's use of a force draw curve when building it and aiming for the correct draw length.
I have had a few bows that drew smoothly with minimal stacking to 30" that were shorter, and i have shot longer bows that began stacking way before 28" that then had unreal stacking at 30".
An experienced bowyer will ensure that the sweet spot will be exactly where the desired draw length is when he builds it. Limb preload and overall limb design are where a master bowyer shines in their craft.

String pinch is the bigger concern with short bows.

Blackhawk45hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I just started shooting a Bear Kodiak Magnum (52” AMO) that shoots great at my draw length of 27.5”.

one thing I’ve noticed with the shooter bow length is that it’s a lot less forgiving. If my form starts to slip, accuracy falls apart pretty fast in comparison with my 62” Pearson Stallion

ODB

WKR
I just started shooting a Bear Kodiak Magnum (52” AMO) that shoots great at my draw length of 27.5”.

one thing I’ve noticed with the shooter bow length is that it’s a lot less forgiving. If my form starts to slip, accuracy falls apart pretty fast in comparison with my 62” Pearson Stallion

Yes. Which is exactly why Howard Hill shot long longbows. Although it was kind of said in jest, he said he was not good enough to shoot a recurve or short bow.

I draw 31" on a 60" Bodnik Slick Stick. I don't notice stacking or finger pinch. Three-under/tab.

BTTGKFx.jpg

I have almost a 30” draw and I prefer short bows. I agree that they’re less form forgiving, but the ease of carry in the super thick woods where I live is so nice. I’m currently using a 56” hybrid longbow, but sometimes will go with a Kodiak Magnum.

For me, it helps when I have a fully-loaded, heavy quiver attached to the bow, and my bow arm form needs to be perfect.