Bow Let off question

rbljack

WKR
If I get drawn this year, I may get back into bow hunting. Its been about 12 years since ive bowhunted, and im looking at one of the new Halon 32's.

My question relates states laws on let off. I noticed they have a 75 percent let off model, and an 85. For those hunting New Mexico, Colorado, and Idaho....will I run into any state regulation issues if I go with the 85 percent let off? I seem to remember there were some requirements on that.

I know I can go through each states regs and probably figure this out, but hoping I can get a quicker answer through here.

Thanks yall!\

Spring turkey is just around the corner..wwoooohooo!!

seriously?
I didn't know there was a "let off" requirement.?

I shoot a PSE Full Throttle with 70% let off.
Never would've thought to check this out

Why isn't the poundage enough?

Idaho

Archery Equipment
In any hunt, including general any-weapon seasons and shortrange
hunts, it is unlawful to pursue or kill big game animals:

With any compound bow set at more than 85 percent let-off.

kicker338

WKR
Gotta watch the percentage let-off in Idaho, every time I went hunting last yr. a warden would pull me over, get out his table with a drawboard and caculater and check my let-off, almost got a ticket one time, me let-off was at 85.5 LOL. On the serious side I posed that question to a guy that had been an archery instructer for Idaho fish & game prior to getting back into archery and his answer was when was the last time you seen a warden checking the let-off of bows out in the woods??? enough said.

Just don't see the reason behind a let off rule vs a draw weight.

Just seems ridiculous with no sense

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

oldgoat

WKR
Just don't see the reason behind a let off rule vs a draw weight.

Just seems ridiculous with no sense

We have both letoff and minimum weight requirements, they are two seperate things with different objectives. Minimum weight has to do with lethality and minimum letoff has to do keeping it a primitive season, don't laugh! They are basically trying to stop the march to 100% letoff and x-bows! Same thing for our blackpowder seasons, no scopes are allowed, no saboted projectiles either.

I get the muzzle loader rules
Fully agree with draw weight
Just not the let off
Just plain weird
Lol

kicker338

WKR
We have both letoff and minimum weight requirements, they are two seperate things with different objectives. Minimum weight has to do with lethality and minimum letoff has to do keeping it a primitive season, don't laugh! They are basically trying to stop the march to 100% letoff and x-bows! Same thing for our blackpowder seasons, no scopes are allowed, no saboted projectiles either.

I'm with mfllood on this, black powder I can understand, we went through this a few yrs. ago here in Idaho but the let-off puzzles me. 80% is about right for most people, 85% is starting to mess with accuracy, 90% you better be good holding that light of wt. 95% speed is starting to drop off quite abit, 100% the bow is in lockup. A lockup aint fun, had it happen to me once, I was lucky only wound up with a broken string.

Muley15

Lil-Rokslider
I'm with mfllood on this, black powder I can understand, we went through this a few yrs. ago here in Idaho but the let-off puzzles me. 80% is about right for most people, 85% is starting to mess with accuracy, 90% you better be good holding that light of wt. 95% speed is starting to drop off quite abit, 100% the bow is in lockup. A lockup aint fun, had it happen to me once, I was lucky only wound up with a broken string.

I have no idea why bow manufacturers even allow bows to go past 85%. I have had Primes and Elites that could go past 90% and it does effect accuracy.

It's marketing, "we have the easiest bow to hold at full draw" Kinda the opposite for the speed bow " we have the fastest bow on the market"

Most of us know what is best and what is a joke, but many out there get caught up in the marketing.

Muley15

Lil-Rokslider
It's marketing, "we have the easiest bow to hold at full draw" Kinda the opposite for the speed bow " we have the fastest bow on the market"

Most of us know what is best and what is a joke, but many out there get caught up in the marketing.

I agree, took me a few years to figure all that out for myself. Sort of figured out that speed does not make up for forgiveness and easier hold/high let off doesnt make you more accurate.

I think the logic is the more let off, the less sporting / "primitive" it is. Imagine if you could hold a bow back with one finger hooked around the string to fininsh the last few steps of a stalk or be drawn and holding the bow in a down and ready position to wait for an animal to come closer.

I have no idea why bow manufacturers even allow bows to go past 85%. I have had Primes and Elites that could go past 90% and it does effect accuracy.
Because some of the manufactueres are trying to make bows as adjustable as possible. I love having the ability to be able to fine tune my draw length, valley, and let off on my Expedition. It's up to me to adjust the bow how I like and obey the laws. I enjoy a bow that lets me dial it in.

It makes me smile seeing the complaints about bow laws and restrictions on here. How about a state with a let off requirement, minimum poundage, and minimum arrow weight tied to the poundage (6gr/lb)? Got to love Washington!

MAD 69

FNG
I find it hard to believe a game warden would pull people over just to check Letoff %. Letoff rules and broadhead restrictions/laws are a complete joke. Do the wardens also climb up trees to check quivers to make sure your not using a mechanical head? Wouldn't even consider spending my money to hunt in these states.

I find it hard to believe a game warden would pull people over just to check Letoff %. Letoff rules and broadhead restrictions/laws are a complete joke. Do the wardens also climb up trees to check quivers to make sure your not using a mechanical head? Wouldn't even consider spending my money to hunt in these states.

You're right, we should only obey the regulations if there is a chance we might get caught.

I'll bet you will be hard pressed to actually tell the difference in letoffs from 75 to 85%. you are looking at a few lbs. If a guy has a problem holding 75% he needs to hit the gym or lower the poundage (geez, I sounded like my Dad in that comment.... whew)

That said, generally, the lower the letoff % the more energy you have available to propel the arrow if I remember correctly.

My first compound was a 50% letoff. Crazy that that 40 lb bow had more holding weight than my 80% 70 lb draw bow.

Also, the law is the law. We can question it, but still need to obey. I look at letoff %'s when I buy a bow, knowing what states I may potentially hunt in. I'm not risking a ticket or losing my hunting privileges over a couple of lbs of holding weight.

Gumbo

WKR
Montana has the 80% law as well. A warden I asked about it said he doesn't ever ask, check, or even know how to check let off.

ontarget7

WKR
If you actually checked let-off percentages it would eliminate a lot of bows out there. Even bows that are listed as 80% are more like 81-85% on quite a few different make and models.

This would make more people illegal than you might think

Just go hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk