Bow maintenance

Button

WKR
What do you do to upkeep your bow? Besides waxing the string.

Lube/grease certain things after x amount of shots?

I started archery a little over a year ago and shoot on average 4 times a week. I do not have a bow press but I have been building and fletching my own arrows. I would like to eventually get a bow press and learn my way around compound bows.

I bought a crossbow not long ago so any advice on those would also be great.

HbDane

WKR
I make sure all my bolts are snug. Only time I'll grease limb pockets is if I constantly hear a creaking noise upon drawing

HbDane

WKR
It's a process, I'm sure there are easier ways. But basically press the bow take strings, cams, and limbs off. Grease the pockets and replace everything. Or take it to a shop and pay them to do it

Rob5589

WKR
Wax strings as needed, wipe off crud, make sure stuff is tight. I've never lubed any pivot points; eccentric bearings are sealed and maintenance free.

Trial153

WKR
I don’t do a whole lot of anything, I don’t even really wax strings and cables often. I might wipe the bow of a bit when they get dirty while hunting. I am
Pretty hard on my tools.
One thing I do use religiously is bow cover or the cams and strings, while hiking and packing it on my pack. Saves a bunch of wear on things.

Tighten the bolts , condition the strings and dry wipe, wax if hunting in rain. At end of season I back limbs off 5 full turns.

Holocene

WKR
I wax my strings lightly but only when they need them and not excessively. If you are shooting a lot (I do) or hunting in the thick nasty (I do), then you'll find some microfraying on your strings. When you see that, wax the strings. Kellen's Inside Out Precision video on string waxing covers technique and reasoning well.

String will need waxing/attention about 3-4x as often as cables. My cables don't wear or fray much at all.

As needed, wipe off mud and dust or blow it out of tiny nooks.

Never lubed the limb pockets, but might in the future hearing advice here.

Look at d-loop and replace when wearing. Measure this so you can return to your exact setting.

Write down all bow settings so if something wild happens or you replace strings, you can return to where you want to be.
Replace strings once a year at minimum if you shoot often. Some people get two.

Whack my bow gently with fist to check for any rattle/buzz and tighten screws and bolts as needed.

I check my "witness marks", lines of silver sharpie on my cams, sights, etc. that show where settings are when the bow tuned.

Run q-tip over limbs once a year checking for splits, splinters.

Once a year, in summer, I take string off cams and run a q-tip with alcohol in all cam and mod grooves to remove wax and dust buildup there.

Sphusmc13

FNG
I wax my strings lightly but only when they need them and not excessively. If you are shooting a lot (I do) or hunting in the thick nasty (I do), then you'll find some microfraying on your strings. When you see that, wax the strings. Kellen's Inside Out Precision video on string waxing covers technique and reasoning well.

String will need waxing/attention about 3-4x as often as cables. My cables don't wear or fray much at all.

As needed, wipe off mud and dust or blow it out of tiny nooks.

Never lubed the limb pockets, but might in the future hearing advice here.

Look at d-loop and replace when wearing. Measure this so you can return to your exact setting.

Write down all bow settings so if something wild happens or you replace strings, you can return to where you want to be.
Replace strings once a year at minimum if you shoot often. Some people get two.

Whack my bow gently with fist to check for any rattle/buzz and tighten screws and bolts as needed.

I check my "witness marks", lines of silver sharpie on my cams, sights, etc. that show where settings are when the bow tuned.

Run q-tip over limbs once a year checking for splits, splinters.

Once a year, in summer, I take string off cams and run a q-tip with alcohol in all cam and mod grooves to remove wax and dust buildup there.
Thanks for this write up. Just got back into bow hunting this year after 20 years off and alot has changed since then! I was trying to figure out when I needed to be doing things!

Goose1327

FNG
Thanks for the advice. Any recommendations for solid wax for strings? And for stowing; should I release tension on my arrow rest?