Bow season is slipping away. I Guess you guys with backup bows aren't crazy... Warranty BS

They only had a 65# model to begin with. It took him what like 4 months to get a 70#. I'm guessing it's a small shop that doesn't have the resources.

My local shop will have a half dozen or more 70# bows of a flagship model for the line they carry. I think this year they had something like 30 VXR's in 31.5 and 28. Of course they sold something like 5 last Saturday. I don't think that many shops carry or go through that kind of inventory. I have walked into shops out west that might have 8-10 bows displayed. Don't know if that's normal or not, but I can understand it. Lot of money tied up in inventory for a relatively low return.

OP
K

KBC

WKR
When I dropped the bow off just over two weeks ago it was the day after he had gotten word the distributor back east had the new limbs in. He told me he was going to get them to rush ship them because they messed up with the serial number thing.
I said I’d be crack in two weeks to pick it up on August 5th after the family camping trip and he had just got the tracking info.
Up until then I thought he had been pretty good but not making sure they shipped it out right away has bothered me.

OP
K

KBC

WKR
Do you guys think I have a legitimate complaint to make with Hoyt? I did tell the guy I was in the market for 2 more bows, my 8 year old wants one baaaaaad and my wife is interested as well.
I was recommended this shop by a few people that seem like they’ve gotten better service than I have. I’m not unreasonable or a shitty customer but I’m not sure I’ll be going back after this or buying another Hoyt.

Gorp2007

WKR
I think you're right to be a little upset. I found splinters in my Mathews limbs and the shop I use took down my info and handled everything for me. 2 weeks later I had new limbs installed.

Shit like this is why people don't start hunting. So what is the magic number, how long does someone need to practice to be a loud to hunt, how far do they need to shoot in order to be aloud to hunt. I've watched guys miss deer at 10yds with compounds that practice regularly. Don't give me this holier than thou b/s. You act like you need a masters degree in shooting before you can hunt.
I told the guy to get confident. I didn't tell him to shoot 30 yards.

First off, this is not why people don't start hunting, and that's a worthless strawman because OP is already a hunter.

OP has 3 weeks until season starts. At 3 weeks it's not uncommon for people to still have a lot of flyers at 10 yards, enough where it's not reasonable to shoot at an animal from there. That's not even accounting for shots on an incline, whether from tree stand or terrain. That's not accounting for getting good arrow flight, assuming the form is even there to know whether the arrow flight is good. That's not accounting for time to work your way up to a hunting weight bow (or the problems that can crop up if you start with one).

This is not a conversation in a vacuum, there's context. The context is, OP is a compound guy and doesn't seem real interested in a trad bow. Even a lot of guys who think they are interested in one end up quitting out of frustration. The context is that for a busy guy 3 weeks can be asking a lot just to get a new compound figured out, get arrows tuned, sight adjusted, and get some reps in, so it's not an insane suggestion that a completely different shooting experience, in context, isn't a spectacular idea. It's not impossible, but it's a lot lower odds than other options.

I sold my compound and I doubt I'll ever own one again. I love shooting a traditional bow. If OP wants to get into it, I'm fully behind that. And if OP decides to buckle down and make it happen for this season, hunting at whatever distance he feels confident in by 9/1, I'll help in any way I can. I just don't want to bullshit him into thinking it's going to be some non-frustrating cakewalk. If the choice were trad bow or don't hunt, then the answer is probably trad bow, but there are other options. That's all I'm saying.

Do you guys think I have a legitimate complaint to make with Hoyt? I did tell the guy I was in the market for 2 more bows, my 8 year old wants one baaaaaad and my wife is interested as well.
I was recommended this shop by a few people that seem like they’ve gotten better service than I have. I’m not unreasonable or a shitty customer but I’m not sure I’ll be going back after this or buying another Hoyt.

I think it's something to consider. Understand that nothing is perfect tho. It's like purchasing a new vehicle, then with 20k miles it's stuck in the shop for warranty. It happens. Happens once, no big deal. Happens more than once, I'd say it's a pattern and I'd be moving on.

I'll say that I tend to have limb issues. I guess I'm just hard on stuff. I look at it as something that happens. Had it happen on multiple brands, so I think it's probably more me than the bows. Probably something to do with having a bow strapped to my pack and getting my pack off. Trying to be careful anymore.

I wouldn't write the shop or Hoyt off completely just yet.

If I understand everything correctly, you registered the bow yourself. You entered the serial number in incorrectly. At no point did Hoyt or the shop mess that up.

The shop wouldn't have known until contacted by Hoyt. Hoyt wouldn't have known until they tried to process a warranty claim with an incorrectly registered serial number. So far, all of the issues you're running into, aside from the splinter on the limb, come back to you entering the serial number incorrectly.

Shops are currently ramping up for the busiest time of their year. It sounds like the shop owner said he would get the limbs rushed to the shop for you. Having worked in a shop for a number of years, this isn't a promise I would ever have made myself as any number of things could happen to make me look like an ass for not being able to follow through, but I digress. Let us also keep in mind the global pandemic we are currently facing and limited staffing throughout the entirety of the process of getting limbs shipped to you.

So I think your frustration, while understandable, is misplaced. Had you entered the serial number correctly, you would probably already have your limbs.

Where I would start to get concerned is if the shop and or Hoyt wouldn't follow through on the warranty. If the number wasn't registered and you are the original owner; simply register it now. The shop can explain to Hoyt what happened if there are any questions, and if they have a good relationship with their rep and the company, everything will get corrected. There are a few things the shop could do to make sure you're still able to hunt, but I suppose that depends on how bad they want your business and how you've treated them throughout the process.

Reactions: KBC
@KBC I would recommend doing what my dad did for our mule deer trip last year. His bow blew up a few weeks before season, so he bought a used Hoyt CRX 32 for less than $300USD with a 4 pin sight and rest. Was he going to be dropping bombs at 100? Of course not. but it's a really solid bow and he was able to get set up and shooting in an afternoon with confidence out to 40 yards, which is as far as he normally shot with his other bow. It was maybe a 10-20 fps slower than current flagship bows, but still high quality and up to the task. Hell, my last compound was 2 year old Centergy that cost less than $400 shipped If he wanted to sell it he could probably get very close to what he paid. Local is probably easier but the classifieds here or on AT could work too. Regardless of what you end up doing, good luck. You got this, you'll figure it out and make it happen.

Zac

WKR
Picking up a recurve with virtually no training and attempting to kill with it is extremely unethical. Takes most people months to even shoot a decent hole through paper.

Zac

WKR
Shit like this is why people don't start hunting. So what is the magic number, how long does someone need to practice to be a loud to hunt, how far do they need to shoot in order to be aloud to hunt. I've watched guys miss deer at 10yds with compounds that practice regularly. Don't give me this holier than thou b/s. You act like you need a masters degree in shooting before you can hunt.
I told the guy to get confident. I didn't tell him to shoot 30 yards.
Getting confident within weeks is not possible. Snyder started hunting after 3 months. He said he was shooting every day, up to 10 hours a day while getting alot of one on one attention from Tom and the rest of the Clums. Your just setting this guy up for failure. To answer your question, Snyder and a few other seasoned trad guys seemed to think a paper plate at 20 was an appropriate benchmark.

Will_m

WKR
Maybe you can get somebody to loan you one on good faith and a small deposit. If something happens to the loaner, then you can worry about coming up with the funds to replace it.

Maybe you can get somebody to loan you one on good faith and a small deposit. If something happens to the loaner, then you can worry about coming up with the funds to replace it.

I like this idea, particularly with the dealer that’s servicing his warranty. Maybe he has a demo or just an older bow lying around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
K

KBC

WKR
I wouldn't write the shop or Hoyt off completely just yet.

If I understand everything correctly, you registered the bow yourself. You entered the serial number in incorrectly. At no point did Hoyt or the shop mess that up.

The shop wouldn't have known until contacted by Hoyt. Hoyt wouldn't have known until they tried to process a warranty claim with an incorrectly registered serial number. So far, all of the issues you're running into, aside from the splinter on the limb, come back to you entering the serial number incorrectly.

Shops are currently ramping up for the busiest time of their year. It sounds like the shop owner said he would get the limbs rushed to the shop for you. Having worked in a shop for a number of years, this isn't a promise I would ever have made myself as any number of things could happen to make me look like an ass for not being able to follow through, but I digress. Let us also keep in mind the global pandemic we are currently facing and limited staffing throughout the entirety of the process of getting limbs shipped to you.

So I think your frustration, while understandable, is misplaced. Had you entered the serial number correctly, you would probably already have your limbs.

Where I would start to get concerned is if the shop and or Hoyt wouldn't follow through on the warranty. If the number wasn't registered and you are the original owner; simply register it now. The shop can explain to Hoyt what happened if there are any questions, and if they have a good relationship with their rep and the company, everything will get corrected. There are a few things the shop could do to make sure you're still able to hunt, but I suppose that depends on how bad they want your business and how you've treated them throughout the process.

I know I messed up with the S/N and obviously that should ad some time to it. My issue is that the distributor in Canada that everything has to go through didn’t follow up when things didn’t ad up. Then when the limbs were in Ontario at the distributor, they weren’t rush shipped even though they admitted the screw up, they just sat there for another couple weeks.
The bow was $1500 CAD and I spent about $500-600 more on top of that at the shop on arrows and a couple accessories before taxes and I told him I was interested in a couple more bows for my wife and kid. Believe me, I’m a pretty down to earth reasonable guy and haven’t yelled or been rude at all. I’ve waited a couple days to bitch to make sure I don’t say something I shouldn’t. I’m just frustrated and am wondering if I have a legit complaint to make.

Florida Bow Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
You had a perfect storm against you this year. Corona really hurt production and Hoyt had some sort of damage @ the plant that slowed things down.

Little advice. Don’t be so hell bent on having to always go to the range to shoot. But a Block target and evening if it’s 10 yards indoor your home, get yourself 20-40 reps every nite. Practice on drawing the bow getting familiar with it. Practice shot sequence, hold, trigger let off, peep rotation etc etc. there’s more to a bow shooting then just hammering 50 yard 10’s. I say getting comfy with a new bow and knowing it’s nuances @ full draw makes it easier to dial in on yardage. You already know the bow from shooting it, it’s sound, vibration, kick, follow thru etc.

I am a super advocate of shooting your bow @ any distance provided you shoot daily or twice daily. Make that bow feel like second nature. Even use your lighted pins in a darkened room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: KBC

KyleR1985

WKR
I’ve gone 25 years without buying a new now because it always made sense to me to buy two used ones so one can be a backup. I finally gave in and bought a new bow this year. I still have one of my used ones as a backup. But if funds were tight, I’d go with two used bows a couple years old over a new one every time.

i Know this might not help the OP this time around, but maybe someone reading considering a similar path might rethink it. Spending 1000.00 on a bow and leaving yourself unable to fund a backup plan is tough. Hell I’d rather two Walmart packages over one new one I think. But that’s the old man in me that always has a backup.

I’ve gone 25 years without buying a new now because it always made sense to me to buy two used ones so one can be a backup. I finally gave in and bought a new bow this year. I still have one of my used ones as a backup. But if funds were tight, I’d go with two used bows a couple years old over a new one every time.

i Know this might not help the OP this time around, but maybe someone reading considering a similar path might rethink it. Spending 1000.00 on a bow and leaving yourself unable to fund a backup plan is tough. Hell I’d rather two Walmart packages over one new one I think. But that’s the old man in me that always has a backup.

I’m a big proponent of buying used. Today’s flagship bows cost way too much and depreciate way too quickly to drop the kind of money they want for them new... especially when you can go to some classifieds and buy the same bow $400 bucks cheaper.

The people looking at flagships would be well served to buy used... then you have money left over for a backup. If you don’t like the bow you’re not going to lose $400 bucks trying to sell it back, either.

I’m a big proponent of buying used. Today’s flagship bows cost way too much and depreciate way too quickly to drop the kind of money they want for them new... especially when you can go to some classifieds and buy the same bow $400 bucks cheaper.

The people looking at flagships would be well served to buy used... then you have money left over for a backup. If you don’t like the bow you’re not going to lose $400 bucks trying to sell it back, either.

If people don't buy flagships, then there isn't anything on the market a few years old.

Gotta be careful how you advise people. I for one am glad people out there but new stuff and hardly use it. Get my vehicles and a lot of hunting gear that way.