Bow season is slipping away. I Guess you guys with backup bows aren't crazy... Warranty BS

If people don't buy flagships, then there isn't anything on the market a few years old.

Gotta be careful how you advise people. I for one am glad people out there but new stuff and hardly use it. Get my vehicles and a lot of hunting gear that way.

My bad. Everyone disregard my previous statement. Buying new is the way to go 😂

OP
K

KBC

WKR
I looked for a used one for a few months but the price of used bows in Canada are definitely not discounted like they are in the USA.
I was looking for a helix ultra or an axius ultra on AT for awhile but even if I could find one for $800, after the exchange rate I’m over $1000 CAD and then shipping and duty on top of that. for $100-$200 more I could buy new.
I’m always looking for a good deal and this time it just wasn’t there.

Werty

WKR
Getting confident within weeks is not possible. Snyder started hunting after 3 months. He said he was shooting every day, up to 10 hours a day while getting alot of one on one attention from Tom and the rest of the Clums. Your just setting this guy up for failure. To answer your question, Snyder and a few other seasoned trad guys seemed to think a paper plate at 20 was an appropriate benchmark.
Alright Chicken Little. I like how you have a one size fits all situations. All I told the guy was buy a cheap recurve and get confident with it. How is that setting him up for failure. I didn't tell him to shoot 40,30,20 or 10. I told him to get confident with it. I also remember "Snyder" was also breaking some bad habits and was wanting to shoot further.

Alright Chicken Little. I like how you have a one size fits all situations. All I told the guy was buy a cheap recurve and get confident with it. How is that setting him up for failure. I didn't tell him to shoot 40,30,20 or 10. I told him to get confident with it. I also remember "Snyder" was also breaking some bad habits and was wanting to shoot further.
I actually agree with you here. We may not totally agree on realistic timelines, but the gold standard is can you confidently hit what you're aiming at AT THE DISTANCE you'll hunt at.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Zac

WKR
I didn't come up with it. Rob from Stick bow Chronicles, Jake Downs and Snyder did. If you don't agree with their opinion that is fine. You made a comment about keeping people out of hunting earlier. I would argue that wounding an animal due to unpreparedness is what keeps people out of hunting. Sending someone into the woods with less than a month behind any bow, much less a recurve, is setting them up for a horrible experience.

stonewall

WKR
So I guess I'm looking for sympathy or a spot to vent or both so here it is.

Picked up a bow almost 3 years ago, a used PSE decree dream season to see if I would like archery. After about 2 years I'm totally hooked and I've learned a bit of things about what bow specs I might like so I decide to buy a brand new bow this past January.

I tried a few but the Axius ultra was already on the short list because of the specs and the fact that the Hoyts are supposed to be durable. I wanted the aluminum riser over the carbon fibre because eventually something will happen and the carbon will crack. Most likely from me being an idiot.

Sure enough it's the one I want but the one they had at the shop was a 65 lb and I want a 70 lb. I'm finally getting old I guess and order the 70 lb one instead of giving in to the lust for the one I could have taken home that day. I was told 6-8 weeks on January 23rd. It ends up taking 13 weeks and I take it home on April 22nd.

By this time I can only shoot in the garage since the range is closed from covid and I don't have everything put together yet, still need to find a sight, new arrows, and other goodies. Plus I'm still working full time, my wife works shift work and is in the part of her schedule that seems like she is working every weekend so I can't get out into the woods to shoot on the weekends. I've also sold off my old bow to buy more stuff for the new one...

Finally mid June the range is open, all the bits and pieces I ordered that took forever to ship are here. Just one more weekend of my son's spring hockey that was condensed to make up for lost time and then I can get to the range and start getting this thing (more importantly myself) really tuned up for hunting season.

Oh shit what's that? a splinter on one of the limbs. This thing hasn't left my garage. I email pics to the shop the next day and he gets back to me right away, don't worry it's covered under warranty, he gets the claim going. Probably about 3 weeks.

Here's where I messed up. When I registered the bow I missed one number in the serial number (I wrote the correct number in the owners manual so it was a typo but still got a conformation email) The distributor couldn't get the claim started because they said it wasn't registered but they never went back and told the shop I bought it from that the number was wrong. I found out 2 weeks after contacting him when I followed up and he looked into it.

I first contacted my local dealer just over 6 weeks ago about the limb splinter. Apparently he got tracking info from the distributor a couple days ago for my replacement limbs. This was two weeks after he told me the distributor had apparently received the limbs. Archery season in BC is 3.5 weeks away and runs from September 1-9. I ordered this bow last January and have not shot it outside of my garage. It's still in the shop waiting for new limbs.

I know I messed up the S/N but I'm pretty upset at the initial 5 week wait on top of the 6-8 I was told for my "durable" bow that has now been waiting over 6 weeks for replacement limbs. Why would the website accept a S/N missing a number in the first place?

Thanks for making it this far. You may now bombard me with memes involving the whaaaaaaamulance, of offer me some cries to go along with my whaaaamburger.

I guess I should have kept the old bow.
Haven’t read everything in the thread, but my backup plan has always been to go buy a diamond infinite edge sb if I were in a pinch. Thankfully hasn’t been necessary. Maybe consider buying one from Cabela’s. Then resell after the season. Maybe lose $100 on the deal. Or. Just keep it for back up

Edit: read more of your posts. Glad it sounds like you’ll have your bow. More thoughts on diamond. You mentioned your son getting a bow. This one might be big for an 8 year old. Probably good for a 10 yr old. It highly adjustable.In the future it could be your sons. In a pinch you could adjust it to fit you if you ever ran into this issue again

Last edited:

Zac

WKR
Haven’t read everything in the thread, but my backup plan has always been to go buy a diamond infinite edge sb if I were in a pinch. Thankfully hasn’t been necessary. Maybe consider buying one from Cabela’s. Then resell after the season. Maybe lose $100 on the deal. Or. Just keep it for back up
Very reasonable plan.

OP
K

KBC

WKR
Back home with my bow. Shot it at the shop and again at home and seems pretty good. Hopefully the littlest one cooperates tonight and sleeps a bit(mom is on the night shift tonight) and I can get 50-100 shots in to settle it and then Get it paper tuned. I found some babysitting so I’ll be able to get out Saturday and Sunday to stretch it out a bit.
Thanks for the sympathy and encouragement, maybe I’ll update my progress getting it dialed in.
I just need to decide on running my BG mountain lite all the way up like I’ve seen recommended or set it at the factory neutral spot that BG recommends.

I shoot everyday for most of the year, and I don't feel like I have the dedication for trad.

I'll whitetail hunt with it around home. Decided not to bank my points on it.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Good to hear crisis was adverted. I'd imagine its the same strings so shoot it a dozen times and head into tuning.

Reactions: KBC
OP
K

KBC

WKR
Got about 2.5-3 dozen shots down-garage and spent a bit of time tying in the bowmar nose button I want to try out this year. Playoff hockey was keeping my oldest occupied so I was hoping to get a few bare shafts through paper but my 2 year old had other plans haha. Tomorrow is another day.

Werty

WKR
I didn't come up with it. Rob from Stick bow Chronicles, Jake Downs and Snyder did. If you don't agree with their opinion that is fine. You made a comment about keeping people out of hunting earlier. I would argue that wounding an animal due to unpreparedness is what keeps people out of hunting. Sending someone into the woods with less than a month behind any bow, much less a recurve, is setting them up for a horrible experience.
I don't agree with your opinion, don't transfer this to someone else. Own up to your views.
Or putting a bow in someone's hand and telling them to only shoot as far as they can consistently hit the target. It just might open up a whole new world.

Zac

WKR
I don't agree with your opinion, don't transfer this to someone else. Own up to your views.
Or putting a bow in someone's hand and telling them to only shoot as far as they can consistently hit the target. It just might open up a whole new world.
I'm not a Stickbow guy so I would refer to the gentleman mentioned above as valid advice considering they are experts in the field. So yes it would be my advice to listen to 3 individuals that kill north of 100 animals a year with traditional gear. I don't feel the need to argue this due to the fact that the author of this post seems to be a reasonable person. However if you would like to continue this debate I would be happy to point out all the hurdles of tuning and shooting a recurve. In general traditional archery is a way e life that takes extreme dedication. It is definitely not an easy solution to the problem presented by the author of this post. I think most real traditional archers would be offended of the idea of picking up a stick bow simply for convenience and budget.

Werty

WKR
I'm not a Stickbow guy so I would refer to the gentleman mentioned above as valid advice considering they are experts in the field. So yes it would be my advice to listen to 3 individuals that kill north of 100 animals a year with traditional gear. I don't feel the need to argue this due to the fact that the author of this post seems to be a reasonable person. However if you would like to continue this debate I would be happy to point out all the hurdles of tuning and shooting a recurve. In general traditional archery is a way e life that takes extreme dedication. It is definitely not an easy solution to the problem presented by the author of this post. I think most real traditional archers would be offended of the idea of picking up a stick bow simply for convenience and budget.
Wow, you should do build a big soapbox.

A month?

For reals?

Its not some kind of mystical rocket surgery.

A month?

I think if you took a bow down to the zoo, and threw it in the monkey enclosure, one of them would be killing gazelles in the next pen over.....in less than month.

I think someone is trying to sell you something.

Zac

WKR
A month?

For reals?

Its not some kind of mystical rocket surgery.

A month?

I think if you took a bow down to the zoo, and threw it in the monkey enclosure, one of them would be killing gazelles in the next pen over.....in less than month.

I think someone is trying to sell you something.
No one in traditional archery is trying to sell anything..... Except Trad vanes.