Bow season is slipping away. I Guess you guys with backup bows aren't crazy... Warranty BS

KBC

WKR
So I guess I'm looking for sympathy or a spot to vent or both so here it is.

Picked up a bow almost 3 years ago, a used PSE decree dream season to see if I would like archery. After about 2 years I'm totally hooked and I've learned a bit of things about what bow specs I might like so I decide to buy a brand new bow this past January.

I tried a few but the Axius ultra was already on the short list because of the specs and the fact that the Hoyts are supposed to be durable. I wanted the aluminum riser over the carbon fibre because eventually something will happen and the carbon will crack. Most likely from me being an idiot.

Sure enough it's the one I want but the one they had at the shop was a 65 lb and I want a 70 lb. I'm finally getting old I guess and order the 70 lb one instead of giving in to the lust for the one I could have taken home that day. I was told 6-8 weeks on January 23rd. It ends up taking 13 weeks and I take it home on April 22nd.

By this time I can only shoot in the garage since the range is closed from covid and I don't have everything put together yet, still need to find a sight, new arrows, and other goodies. Plus I'm still working full time, my wife works shift work and is in the part of her schedule that seems like she is working every weekend so I can't get out into the woods to shoot on the weekends. I've also sold off my old bow to buy more stuff for the new one...

Finally mid June the range is open, all the bits and pieces I ordered that took forever to ship are here. Just one more weekend of my son's spring hockey that was condensed to make up for lost time and then I can get to the range and start getting this thing (more importantly myself) really tuned up for hunting season.

Oh shit what's that? a splinter on one of the limbs. This thing hasn't left my garage. I email pics to the shop the next day and he gets back to me right away, don't worry it's covered under warranty, he gets the claim going. Probably about 3 weeks.

Here's where I messed up. When I registered the bow I missed one number in the serial number (I wrote the correct number in the owners manual so it was a typo but still got a conformation email) The distributor couldn't get the claim started because they said it wasn't registered but they never went back and told the shop I bought it from that the number was wrong. I found out 2 weeks after contacting him when I followed up and he looked into it.

I first contacted my local dealer just over 6 weeks ago about the limb splinter. Apparently he got tracking info from the distributor a couple days ago for my replacement limbs. This was two weeks after he told me the distributor had apparently received the limbs. Archery season in BC is 3.5 weeks away and runs from September 1-9. I ordered this bow last January and have not shot it outside of my garage. It's still in the shop waiting for new limbs.

I know I messed up the S/N but I'm pretty upset at the initial 5 week wait on top of the 6-8 I was told for my "durable" bow that has now been waiting over 6 weeks for replacement limbs. Why would the website accept a S/N missing a number in the first place?

Thanks for making it this far. You may now bombard me with memes involving the whaaaaaaamulance, of offer me some cries to go along with my whaaaamburger.

I guess I should have kept the old bow.

Werty

WKR
Find a cheap recurve and start shooting. Even if your only confident to 10yds, your still hunting

Buy a used backup now? Your shop might have one. The internet is full of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
K

KBC

WKR
I thought about getting another bow but fun money is tied up in this one. I could sell a gun to get the funds for a cheap back up but I already sold one gun to help cover the cost of this one and the current political climate in Canada makes me want to keep all the guns I can.

If I don't have it back in the next 4-5 days I will probably sell a gun, they are selling just as fast up here as they are down there so it will be easy money haha.

OR Archer

WKR
If its a small splinter on the edge of the limb don't sweat it and keep shooting and prepping for season and go hunt. Deal with the limb swap after season. Its not going to blow up on you. Clip it, sand it, glue it, and shoot it. Ive hunted with one of my Hoyts like that and didnt think twice about it until after season was over.

Jimbob

WKR
I have a 2014 Hoyt CST for sale 28" and 29" mods. I also have a hoyt 2012 matrix full package for sale 50-60 lbs 29' draw. I'm leaving for a sheep hunt in the morning but will be back late Monday. I could have it in the mail Tuesday.

Text me at 250 918-8716 for more details.

Rob5589

WKR
I am shooting my "back up" after selling my primary bow. Makes me a bit nervous only having one now. I'd do what it takes to pick up a used bow of some sort. Good luck!

OP
K

KBC

WKR
If its a small splinter on the edge of the limb don't sweat it and keep shooting and prepping for season and go hunt. Deal with the limb swap after season. Its not going to blow up on you. Clip it, sand it, glue it, and shoot it. Ive hunted with one of my Hoyts like that and didnt think twice about it until after season was over.
I was going to do this but when I lifted it up to see where to clip and sand it, it got a lot bigger towards the centre of the limb in the direction of the limb pocket. It's on the inside edge of the limb so the limb would be pulling away from the splinter every shot when the limbs flex out on release.

If it was on the outside edge pushing in to the splinter every shot, I wouldn't be so concerned.

OP
K

KBC

WKR
I have a 2014 Hoyt CST for sale 28" and 29" mods. I also have a hoyt 2012 matrix full package for sale 50-60 lbs 29' draw. I'm leaving for a sheep hunt in the morning but will be back late Monday. I could have it in the mail Tuesday.

Text me at 250 918-8716 for more details.
Thanks, I might take you up on it depending on what happens in the next few days. Good luck on the sheep hunt!

jmez

WKR
Limb splinters are common on Hoyts. I would just snap it off and keep shooting the bow.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

lumis17

Lil-Rokslider
I always tell new guys at the range to keep their old bow around as a backup, especially if they do any out-of-state hunting. I've had equipment problems the day before hunts and during out-of-state hunts and it's not fun. Luckily, I shoot a recurve so repairs are easy (except for limb explosions).

RyanCmns

WKR
Sounds rough my local shop is lights out he bend over backwards for us regular customers that support his shop my buddy dry fired his bow 2 years ago 2 days before his January deer hunt pro shop owner pulled out a demo bow he had been shooting and tuned it up for him so he could go on his deer hunt!

As said before I have seen several Hoyt limbs splinter, I haven't seen one that I would be concerned about shooting. Yours could be, but usually you can just trim the splinter, but a little glue on for now and keep going.

I never had much problem with Hoyt warranty. Always had to do the registration, but I did the registration after a limb problem and it wasn't any issue. That has been several years tho.

Have you ever seen how bad somebody can be with a tradbow a month after they started, just shooting a target level with them on flat ground? Not to mention the consequences of starting with a hunting weight bow for a lot of people. Could someone do it with a coach and a ton of dedication? Has some one done it before? Probably to both but for a guy short on time it's a gamble for him and every animal downrange of him.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I found a splinter in one of my PSE limbs a few weeks ago. The bow is finally shooting well again, so I poured a bunch of super glue on it and have kept shooting it. I plan on using it this season but will also have my backup if needed. And I have extra limbs sitting in my drawer.........and apparently PSE has NONE.

Werty

WKR
Have you ever seen how bad somebody can be with a tradbow a month after they started, just shooting a target level with them on flat ground? Not to mention the consequences of starting with a hunting weight bow for a lot of people. Could someone do it with a coach and a ton of dedication? Has some one done it before? Probably to both but for a guy short on time it's a gamble for him and every animal downrange of him.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Shit like this is why people don't start hunting. So what is the magic number, how long does someone need to practice to be a loud to hunt, how far do they need to shoot in order to be aloud to hunt. I've watched guys miss deer at 10yds with compounds that practice regularly. Don't give me this holier than thou b/s. You act like you need a masters degree in shooting before you can hunt.
I told the guy to get confident. I didn't tell him to shoot 30 yards.

Scrappy

WKR
Sounds rough my local shop is lights out he bend over backwards for us regular customers that support his shop my buddy dry fired his bow 2 years ago 2 days before his January deer hunt pro shop owner pulled out a demo bow he had been shooting and tuned it up for him so he could go on his deer hunt!

I was wondering why his shop wasn't doing just this.