Bow selection assistance.

Mbirn277

FNG
Howdy! I’ve been given wifely authorization to spend up to $1100 on a new bow for my birthday. I am stuck between three particular ones and I’d like to know if there’s a super sweet bow out there that I’m overlooking.

Desired specs: 80lbs draw, 330+ IBO, close to 35” ATA, 6-7” BH, 29.5” DL, and no more than 3 years old.

Front runners:
Obsession FXL - highest IBO, but I’ve read some disconcerting info about their cams being wonky and being prone to breaking and serious lean. This was the best bow I’ve ever put my hands on, though. I’m leaning towards this one, but I am concerned about the cams.

Hoyt Helix Ultra - Haven’t actually gotten to try it, and it’s specs are a bit underwhelming. It’s a Hoyt, though. It should be plenty for me, but it’s also the most expensive.@

Prime CT5 - Weird draw cycle, but otherwise excellent shooting bow. The draw went from light to heavy very suddenly about halfway through like half the turn of the cam isn’t actually doing anything. I like the string warranty a lot for this bow.

I don’t want older bows because I don’t want to find that spare parts don’t exist. I do like that everyone and their mother are certified Hoyt dealers. I would absolutely consider oddballs, though.

I’m sold on 80lbs. I’ve been told and read enough about the perils of going to that weight. I hear you, and I respectfully disagree. It’s not up for discussion.

I’m sold on getting close to 34-35” ATA because it’s the size that I can place my nose on the string without leaning. It’s super comfortable.

xcutter

WKR
Man this is a hard decision. I did the same thing earlier this year with permission from my wife. I traded a bow in and got the Hoyt RX3 Ultra. Really happy with it. I like the cams on this bow. Really smooth and seems fairly quick. I was so close to buying a Prime CT5, Bowtech Reckoning or a Bowtech SR6. I just think you need to shoot them side by side and take a pick. I don't think you could go wrong with any of them. A few things to consider though.

Primes are draw length specific. I've read you can get +/- 1/2 of adjustment but you will gain let off or lose let off. Might be harder to dial in your draw length and get the let off you desire. Could be a harder bow to sale when you upgrade next time. I would still like to try one though.

Bowtech and Hoyt are fully adjustable and able to change let off. Recently tuned a Bowtech Reign 7 for my buddy and it was super simple. I've done enough Hoyt's so they are easy as well.

I’d try to shoot each one at 80 if you can track them down. Increasingly different at higher lb. Depends on what you like, the Hoyt is substantially more aggressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just put 80lbs wake limbs on my Mathews Traverse. It's pulling 84lbs on my scale. It's still smooth and hitting hard. There are no permanent modifications necessary, just take the old limbs out and replace with wake limbs.

I know you said 34-35 inch ATA but this bow has huge cams. I had an Xpedition Denali (34) and a Hoyt Pro Defiant 34 and the string angle is actually better on the Traverse.

There are gonna be a ton of 2019 lightly used bows coming on to the market in the next couple months. I think there are about 5 Traverses in the Archery Talk classifieds right now as well.

If you have a Mathews dealer near you, go shoot one.

Of the bows you mentioned, avoid the Obsession. It might claim the highest ibo but those numbers are so inflated. Speed isn't everything though, and if you like it shoot it. I have owned three Obsessions, they are not my cup of tea.

Primes are great bows. I had a Centergy Hybrid 80lbs. I ended up selling it because the tuning options were limited and I wanted to try something else.

I also think the new Bowtech Reckoning comes with 80lbs limbs options. That's gonna be a little out of your price range but that bow is getting great reviews.

APA archery makes the Mamba 34 with 80lbs limbs as well.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

OP
M

Mbirn277

FNG
I just put 80lbs wake limbs on my Mathews Traverse. It's pulling 84lbs on my scale. It's still smooth and hitting hard. There are no permanent modifications necessary, just take the old limbs out and replace with wake limbs.

I know you said 34-35 inch ATA but this bow has huge cams. I had an Xpedition Denali (34) and a Hoyt Pro Defiant 34 and the string angle is actually better on the Traverse.

There are gonna be a ton of 2019 lightly used bows coming on to the market in the next couple months. I think there are about 5 Traverses in the Archery Talk classifieds right now as well.

Of the bows you mentioned, avoid the Obsession. It might claim the highest ibo but those numbers are so inflated. Speed isn't everything though, and if you like it shoot it. I have owned three Obsessions, they are not my cup of tea.

Primes are great bows. I had a Centergy Hybrid 80lbs. I ended up selling it because the tuning options were limited and I wanted to try something else.

I also think the new Bowtech Reckoning comes with 80lbs limbs options. That's gonna be a little out of your price range but that bow is getting great reviews.

I do not see wake limbs for sale, there’s one website in google that has a link but the website seems broken or old. I like Mathews a lot, I’ve shot a number of them, but their current lineup doesn’t offer 80lbs.

What didn’t you like about your Obsession bows? Anything in particular? The FXL was the best I’ve ever put my hands on from top to bottom but I am definitely worried about what I read in regard to the cams.

I found a set of 80lbs wake limbs on the Archery Talk classifieds. I guess I maybe took for granted that you have a press and are able to do a complete tear down by yourself. The wake limbs can be purchased from any Mathews dealer as well.

The Obsession bows just never felt right to me, and I just didn't get the performance that they claimed.

Bows are super subjective though. If it feels good to you and it makes you more accurate forget what I have to say, I am just some dude with an opinion on the internet, haha.

Check out this video, you can compare how the FXL did against the Helix Ultra. They are almost identical in actual speed but rated much differently.

Brendan

WKR
Last year's Hoyt RX1 Ultra. Get the cam that maxes out at 29". Remove the grip, a little cable adjustment, you're right at 29.5" actual length (This is the exact specs I run, but 70#). In fact, I just sold this year's Prime CT5 to stick with the Hoyt. (Make sure you don't actually want longer than 29.5 though, if so you'd need a longer cam)

My bow tuned at 73# is sending a 505gr arrow at 280fps for reference

Price should be ballpark $800 for the bow if you go used. $1100 ish if you find one new old stock.

X-file

Lil-Rokslider
I would look at the pse evoke 35 or the Bowtech realm x. You may be able to find a great deal on one over on archerytalk. Those are the two best newer bows imho. If you want to go older then possibly an elite energy 35. I believe you can special order both the Bowtech and pse in 80

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JoeDirt

WKR
I would stick with whatever your local bow shop works on and sells. I went with a 2016 Bowtech flagship bow. I was able to get a lifetime warranty and its within a few FPS (single digits) of the newest hottest bow.

Buy a older new bow and spend your extra money on good arrows and broadheads.

Brendan

WKR
Going to make an additional recommendation.

Buy a couple years old, used. Spend the extra $$ you save on a press and a draw board and any other setup tools you need - ask here if you need recommendations.

Pretty priceless to be able to do all your own work.

Txhunter85

Lil-Rokslider

Is there a difference in between the monster limbs and the wake limbs?

Muley15

Lil-Rokslider
Im shooting a Hoyt RX4 Ultra with 80's and I love it. Very smooth. I had the CT5 last year and it was the worst tuning bow I have ever had. I would not buy the obsession, I don't think they are going to be around much longer. Get the Helix Ultra, you won't regret it. Best tuning platform I have put my hands on yet.

Is there a difference in between the monster limbs and the wake limbs?
If you're thinking about doing the swap you need wake limbs but they say, "monster wake" on the limbs.
1882e11029ce7a482d5428971644084d.jpg

Howdy! I’ve been given wifely authorization to spend up to $1100 on a new bow for my birthday. I am stuck between three particular ones and I’d like to know if there’s a super sweet bow out there that I’m overlooking.

Desired specs: 80lbs draw, 330+ IBO, close to 35” ATA, 6-7” BH, 29.5” DL, and no more than 3 years old.

Front runners:
Obsession FXL - highest IBO, but I’ve read some disconcerting info about their cams being wonky and being prone to breaking and serious lean. This was the best bow I’ve ever put my hands on, though. I’m leaning towards this one, but I am concerned about the cams.

Hoyt Helix Ultra - Haven’t actually gotten to try it, and it’s specs are a bit underwhelming. It’s a Hoyt, though. It should be plenty for me, but it’s also the most expensive.@

Prime CT5 - Weird draw cycle, but otherwise excellent shooting bow. The draw went from light to heavy very suddenly about halfway through like half the turn of the cam isn’t actually doing anything. I like the string warranty a lot for this bow.

I don’t want older bows because I don’t want to find that spare parts don’t exist. I do like that everyone and their mother are certified Hoyt dealers. I would absolutely consider oddballs, though.

I’m sold on 80lbs. I’ve been told and read enough about the perils of going to that weight. I hear you, and I respectfully disagree. It’s not up for discussion.

I’m sold on getting close to 34-35” ATA because it’s the size that I can place my nose on the string without leaning. It’s super comfortable.
just know that you will be getting bias opinions on this, which may do you no good, or even steer you away from the bow that fits you best.

another thing to note, though it's not on your list, and i'm not a fan, you can get spare parts for any Mathews, and a monster safari on the used market would be a fitting platform, and imo, that is the best cam Mathews has produced.

of your options above, it would be the Hoyt, the grip, draw cycle, and balance make that a no brainer to me, but obviously it's not "the best" or everyone would shoot it.

knowing how personal bow taste and fit is, I have a hard time telling someone to buy any bow in particular, because the best for me likely won't be for you.

I don't like the draw cycle or grip on prime, or grip on OB, and OB has some of the most inflated IBO's in the business, so keep that in mind.

I do like the idea mentioned above of trying the Evoke 35, the evolve cam is a good one, very adjustable platform.

I saw on AT yesterday that Obsession is suspending operations and likely going out of business, I'd factor that into my decision for sure.