Bow Set Ups and Arrow Set Ups

wildernessmaster

Lil-Rokslider
After having my first success with bow hunting, I am bitten by the bug and want to move to predominantly hunting with bow (vs gun - omg I may have to sell off a lot of guns!! :) ). To that end I am getting my bows set up for next season. I have 3 bows I am setting up arrows for. My goal is to have semi focused purpose bows.

Note all my bows are 70# and I have a 29.5 DL (with arrow builds right at 31ish)

Bow 1 (Bowtech Revolt) my east coast bow (Deer, Turkey, etc - maybe Hog and Black Bear more on these later in my questions). I am going to have a Black Gold Ascent 5 pin on this, QAD HDX rest, Tight Spot quiver

Bow 2 (Elite Kure) I want to set up as my western bow (Elk, Bigger Deer (WT and Muley), maybe Bear). I am going to have a QAD HDX Rest, Black Gold Single Pin slider (haven't decided on which one yet), and Tight Spot quiver.

Aside - I would like 1&2 to be pretty similar so if one goes down I can switch up quick and still cover east/west. and things be pretty similar between them.

Bow 3 (Diamond SB Deploy) not sure... Since its super lightweight have thought of making it my run and gun bow, or backpack hunting bow or maybe make it a dedicated "tough game" (hog, bear) bow. It has a Black Gold Rush, QAD HDX, and Tight Spot on it.

Bow Questions:
1. Would I be better served to have dedicated "tough game" bow tuned to heavy arrows/high FOC arrows or should any of them be able to whack a hog/bear? I am thinking the latter (any) because if I am hunting and see a hog, then I am gonna shoot em.
2. Any input/ideas about these set ups and focuses? Is it a good idea to have bows semi specialized or bad?
3. If not tough game bow what should I set my Diamond up as? Its a mid tier bow, but man its a killer. I love that bow - plus its nickname is "First Blood" since she brought me my first kill.

Now to my arrows...

So to date I have been shooting a Victory RIP TKO 350 spine arrows. Total arrow weight (with 100 grain tip) is 408 and it is right at 12% FOC. On east coast deer (small body), I have not had a single issue with pass throughs, except for they don't slow down.

I wanted a bit heavier arrow (not going whole hog on 650+/25% FOC etc), like in the 550 range to make my arrows a bit more "umph" for the larger game. I am building some with Easton Axis 5mm 260, ethics inserts and 125 gr tips. Test arrow came to 590 gr with an FOC of 17%

Arrow questions:
1. Is this new arrow (590/17) too heavy for my western set up given I will be training to kill with it at 60 yards? I could go back to a 100 gr tip and take a little weight off the Ethics insert - getting it back closer to 550 (as I originally had planned) - but my FOC will probably drop back to around 12-14.
2. Should I move all my bow setups to the same arrow/weight/foc or given the specialized purpose have specialized arrows?
3. Given the Victory arrow config has been shooting through and flying off like a bat out of hell, is the heavier arrow going to be too much for the Eastern set up?
4. I want a bit more FOC on my arrows. Is 17 too much, not quite enough, ...??

Or am I overthinking it all and just set the damn bow and arrows up as I want and go hunt?

cured_ham

WKR
1. You will be around 250ish FPS with your new arrow. You won't have any range limitations but may have some wonky trajectories. I am shooting 767 # #70 with 30.5 so at 234 and 60 is well within my range.
2. Entirely up to you. I am lazy and want to shoot one arrow at everything.
3. Nope. A tuned bow will shoot an arrow that is properly spined.
4. Personal preference. I prefer 20 ish.

If you are wanting to get into heavier arrows check out the Lethal Podcast. They are the best heavy arrow resource I have found. Much more technical than someone like Ranch Fairy (nothing against the guy).

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Or am I overthinking it all and just set the damn bow and arrows up as I want and go hunt?

Personally I think you are setting yourself up for failure. I think having 3 bows setup differently is a mistake. I personally have 2 bows setup identical and shoot the heck out of them where I know them like the back of my hand. You can do what your wanting and it will work fine however it kinda goes back to the whole beware of the man with one gun statement.

Not to mention bows devalue faster then computers. What you paid 2k for today is worth 1250 tomorrow. I try to not have too many bows sitting around losing money like that.

dkime

WKR
Personally I think you are setting yourself up for failure. I think having 3 bows setup differently is a mistake. I personally have 2 bows setup identical and shoot the heck out of them where I know them like the back of my hand. You can do what your wanting and it will work fine however it kinda goes back to the whole beware of the man with one gun statement.

Not to mention bows devalue faster then computers. What you paid 2k for today is worth 1250 tomorrow. I try to not have too many bows sitting around losing money like that.

Im agreeing with this, fear the man who has 1 gun that’s been shot 10000 times and not the man who has 10000 guns shot one time. My competition bows are setup nearly identical in feel to my hunting bows because I need them to be the same to keep the transition time low

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I would pick a bow, set it up, and shoot the heck out of it.........for target and all species. Keep a single backup that's setup and tuned and ready to go as well if needed.

After having my first success with bow hunting, I am bitten by the bug and want to move to predominantly hunting with bow (vs gun - omg I may have to sell off a lot of guns!! :) ). To that end I am getting my bows set up for next season. I have 3 bows I am setting up arrows for. My goal is to have semi focused purpose bows.

Note all my bows are 70# and I have a 29.5 DL (with arrow builds right at 31ish)

Bow 1 (Bowtech Revolt) my east coast bow (Deer, Turkey, etc - maybe Hog and Black Bear more on these later in my questions). I am going to have a Black Gold Ascent 5 pin on this, QAD HDX rest, Tight Spot quiver

Bow 2 (Elite Kure) I want to set up as my western bow (Elk, Bigger Deer (WT and Muley), maybe Bear). I am going to have a QAD HDX Rest, Black Gold Single Pin slider (haven't decided on which one yet), and Tight Spot quiver.

Aside - I would like 1&2 to be pretty similar so if one goes down I can switch up quick and still cover east/west. and things be pretty similar between them.

Bow 3 (Diamond SB Deploy) not sure... Since its super lightweight have thought of making it my run and gun bow, or backpack hunting bow or maybe make it a dedicated "tough game" (hog, bear) bow. It has a Black Gold Rush, QAD HDX, and Tight Spot on it.

Bow Questions:
1. Would I be better served to have dedicated "tough game" bow tuned to heavy arrows/high FOC arrows or should any of them be able to whack a hog/bear? I am thinking the latter (any) because if I am hunting and see a hog, then I am gonna shoot em.
2. Any input/ideas about these set ups and focuses? Is it a good idea to have bows semi specialized or bad?
3. If not tough game bow what should I set my Diamond up as? Its a mid tier bow, but man its a killer. I love that bow - plus its nickname is "First Blood" since she brought me my first kill.

Now to my arrows...

So to date I have been shooting a Victory RIP TKO 350 spine arrows. Total arrow weight (with 100 grain tip) is 408 and it is right at 12% FOC. On east coast deer (small body), I have not had a single issue with pass throughs, except for they don't slow down.

I wanted a bit heavier arrow (not going whole hog on 650+/25% FOC etc), like in the 550 range to make my arrows a bit more "umph" for the larger game. I am building some with Easton Axis 5mm 260, ethics inserts and 125 gr tips. Test arrow came to 590 gr with an FOC of 17%

Arrow questions:
1. Is this new arrow (590/17) too heavy for my western set up given I will be training to kill with it at 60 yards? I could go back to a 100 gr tip and take a little weight off the Ethics insert - getting it back closer to 550 (as I originally had planned) - but my FOC will probably drop back to around 12-14.
2. Should I move all my bow setups to the same arrow/weight/foc or given the specialized purpose have specialized arrows?
3. Given the Victory arrow config has been shooting through and flying off like a bat out of hell, is the heavier arrow going to be too much for the Eastern set up?
4. I want a bit more FOC on my arrows. Is 17 too much, not quite enough, ...??

This sounds like a bad idea, other than the fact you will get to shoot a couple different bows. I would set up one bow and get to know if very well. If you want different arrow set ups you can tune a heavy arrow and a light arrow to the bow and make to different sight tapes and just slap those on for different hunts. Or do what James Yates does and run two different arrows out of the same bow.

SharpEnd

FNG

^^ This. Set up one, and another as backup. Same sights, rest, etc. If you want two different ATA bows, probably best to get the same brand so that the grip and draw cycle are nearly identical.

Beendare

WKR
Yep, one bow. I hear the classifieds calling....grin.

Unless you were a competitive 3d shooter then there is a benefit to a light/fast setup.

OP
wildernessmaster

wildernessmaster

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks...

I hear the "one bow" theme here... I am just a bit bewildered by it due to the fact that most everyone on here talks about having "a lot of bows they shoot". :) More so a lot of people on here are constantly upgrading to the next shiny ball bow :)

I was a bit unclear in my original post it seems... The #1 and #2 are really aligned with one bow theory. While different bows (mainly because it was a PITA to actually find two of the same bow at the time I bought them, and I did want a slightly longer ATA for the western bow ), the goal was to make them very close and nearly interchangeable. And the two bows I bought feel, draw, and shoot very damn similar. Aside from one having a 5 pin slider and the other either having a 3 or 1 pin slider (haven't decided) the two will be set up nearly the same with the same brand/parts.

The #3 bow is just a bow I started with and am going to keep since it has historical value to me (being my First Blood bow). But as I was making some final decisions I wondered if I should turn it into a tough game bow. It will keep getting shot but probably will not be a regular "hunter for me".

Also I have been burned by the 1 bow theory... When I first started hunting, I had ONLY 1 bow. And the first time I got into some bulls bugling (and almost got off a shot) on the way back in I damaged it and it had to go the bow shop for repair. Blew up my $1000's archery elk hunt investment quickly. So I won't ever go into a hunting season without at least 2 bows - and given how much I plan to hunt, a 3rd isn't a bad idea since hunting multi-species year round I will probably have 1 of them down for something.

Beyond 3 I am probably done. I don't need to collect bows - I collect really nice guns.

The one thing that I was a bit more concerned about was the arrow set ups for them.

Total aside.... To the "beware of the man who shoots one gun" theory crowd.... You are talking to an ex Special Forces guy who learned the hard way in battle = beware of the man who can pick up any thing and kill like the man who only owns 1 gun! It's a much better theory as you die quite less often with that theory. I know you "one gunners" are not gonna like that, but even my Delta sniper buddies (who know 1 gun like its their own flesh) don't fully subscribe to it. Truth be told if you are well trained, you should be able to grab any gun and be nearly as lethal with it ("nearly" being it may not be as accurate, it may not shoot as far, it may not...).

Each man lives by his own theories. :)

dkime

WKR
I’m tracking a little bit better now, but I think everyone’s advice having comes from going through that evolution full circle. IMHO if you’re gonna run specific bows then you’re gonna need specific arrows (obviously) BUT what I would be doing is getting them setup to have the exact same arrow cast each time. I want my sight picture to be the exact same each and every time (especially knowing you’re considering a single pin) because you’re gonna revert back to whichever bow you liked to shoot the most and trained with the most. IMHO I think you’ll end up with a favorite and that’s going to become the bow you grab more often than not when you have a moment of “no shit, time to get serious and kill something” ive got a stable full of bows right now, I know exactly which one I’m grabbing when it comes time to get it done. I totally agree a man needs to have a back up (2 is 1 and 1 is none; right?)

Lastly, thanks for your service. Keep asking questions and we will keep offering feedback

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
Another for I would always have a backup bow - I've been bitten by that before. Doesn't mean you need to use it regularly, but it should be tuned and you should be competent with it at hunting ranges. I prefer to have it set up to shoot the same arrows as my primary bow, and shooting roughly the same speed, and having sight picture the same like @dkime says. Easier to pick up and run with it if needed.

From a specs standpoint: I draw 29.25" in and between 70 and 73#, so very similar to you in specs.

I shoot a 300 spine arrow, at 27.5" carbon-to-carbon measurement (Yes, almost 2" shorter than my Draw Length). With a longer and weaker arrow, there's a chance you run into spine / tuning issues. 260 will be plenty for you, 300 fine too if you shorten up the arrow and aren't crazy on tip weight.

I shoot a 508 grain arrow at around 280 fps, and a 520'ish grain arrow between 270 and 280 (Easton Axis) - these are bows in the 334-340 IBO range.. I consider it to be an excellent all around arrow with good speed and enough power to kill anything in North America. Now, if I was specifically building a short range setup I wanted to be able to reliably punch through the toughest part of an Elk Shoulder, I'd go heavier, but you're giving up speed/range/pin gaps.

If I want something slightly lighter, I have Black Eagle Rampage 300 as well.

OP
wildernessmaster

wildernessmaster

Lil-Rokslider
So why did you ask?

——-
Beendare this is not directed at you. You just opened the door to give this answer. Beendare a lot of your input has been valuable, thank you.

I did not ask if I should subscribe to the One Gun theory. My original post seemed clear to me that I already owned the bows (like many of you own multiple bows probably for similar reasons).

What I ASKED was specific questions to the set up of those bows and more so and specifically to the set up of the arrows.

As I have stated numerous times the archery and bow hunting world is a bit wu wu mystical... No hard givens, little solid engineering, a LOT of well you can do this or this or this or this or this or this....

What I got was a lot of answers telling me (I am guessing based on past answers of some of those doing so - somewhat hypocritical) my idea was a bad idea and I should only own 1 bow and a backup (that should be the same bow). Which I am sorry but I clearly described I already owned 3 bows. I got lectures on how much a bow costs and depreciate. Duh, I know that. I got theories that those who have not "lived it just talk about it" pass around to each other like the man who owns 1 gun, or aim small shoot small, or.... any of the rah rah isms that remington rangers tell each other. Does anyone on here really look at the "one gun" theory and think it answers the very specific questions I asked? Granted I F'ed up and put a generic "what are your thoughts' in there so that is on me... won't do it again.

While I am newbie to archery and bow hunting - I am not a naïve dolt who just woke up yesterday. I can calculate the cost of a bow (and cost of ownership of a bow) - if I didn't I wouldn't have sold two bows that didn't make sense. And btw, I have lived a pretty interesting life that gives me a LOT of leg up knowledge and experience that most people don't have.

I did get some decent answers for the topics I posted and to those I thank you.

And this reply is not just focused or aimed at you Beendare. You asked and gave me an opening to answer to any who reads this - and please know I am not upset or angry with these words - just a bit fed up. I have found several things here on Rokslide and Archery talk...
1. There is a fair amount of moralizers and lecturers - often who are so far off topic its ridiculous.
2. There is a lot of rah rah isms and that are used in these forums by senior members in a way that stifles exploration and discussion.
3. There are a crap ton of trolls who tweet drive by shitty, often misreading the original question, answers that fall into these other categories.
4. A lot of responders want to assume they can read minds of the emotional state of someone - written words don't allow that - and they justify lectures, and emotional responses from that.
5. Clearly assume people are idiots.
6. Give what could have been decent answers but forget that the person may not be quite as knowledgeable or speak quite the same bow language and kill the good answer with archery talk, lingo that is not clear or quick answers that seem to be ok for their brain but may not be clear to the receivers brain.
7. As happened to me once today in another post, get irritated with additional questions and clarifications of a questioner and chide them as pushing "the forum's patience" (how arrogant of someone speaks for a forum).

From day one everything I have posted has generated a fair amount of this. From simple stories to clear specific questions.

And I will state again. This response is not emotional...more so I take the time to write these response hoping that people can wake up to some of the ridiculousness going on and move in these forums and answers and move Rokslide towards a better direction. Trust me, no one on here or pretty much anywhere (at this point in my life) is "enough" to provoke me (emotionally) unless they impinge upon my lifestyle or those I love. I do doubt though if the answer I am taking the time to provide will help. So why do I stay on here (and write these annoying answers)? Because there are some genuine diamonds in the rough. To those people I THANK YOU!!

bsnedeker

WKR
Beendare this is not directed at you. You just opened the door to give this answer. Beendare a lot of your input has been valuable, thank you.

I did not ask if I should subscribe to the One Gun theory. My original post seemed clear to me that I already owned the bows (like many of you own multiple bows probably for similar reasons).

What I ASKED was specific questions to the set up of those bows and more so and specifically to the set up of the arrows.

As I have stated numerous times the archery and bow hunting world is a bit wu wu mystical... No hard givens, little solid engineering, a LOT of well you can do this or this or this or this or this or this....

What I got was a lot of answers telling me (I am guessing based on past answers of some of those doing so - somewhat hypocritical) my idea was a bad idea and I should only own 1 bow and a backup (that should be the same bow). Which I am sorry but I clearly described I already owned 3 bows. I got lectures on how much a bow costs and depreciate. Duh, I know that. I got theories that those who have not "lived it just talk about it" pass around to each other like the man who owns 1 gun, or aim small shoot small, or.... any of the rah rah isms that remington rangers tell each other. Does anyone on here really look at the "one gun" theory and think it answers the very specific questions I asked? Granted I F'ed up and put a generic "what are your thoughts' in there so that is on me... won't do it again.

While I am newbie to archery and bow hunting - I am not a naïve dolt who just woke up yesterday. I can calculate the cost of a bow (and cost of ownership of a bow) - if I didn't I wouldn't have sold two bows that didn't make sense. And btw, I have lived a pretty interesting life that gives me a LOT of leg up knowledge and experience that most people don't have.

And this reply is not just focused or aimed at you Beendare. You asked and gave me an opening to answer to any who reads this - and please know I am not upset or angry with these words - just a bit fed up. I have found several things here on Rokslide and Archery talk...
1. There is a fair amount of moralizers and lecturers - often who are so far off topic its ridiculous.
2. There is a lot of rah rah isms and that are used in these forums by senior members in a way that stifles exploration and discussion.
3. There are a crap ton of trolls who tweet drive by shitty, often misreading the original question, answers that fall into these other categories.
4. A lot of responders want to assume they can read minds of the emotional state of someone - written words don't allow that - and they justify lectures, and emotional responses from that.
6. Give what could have been decent answers but forget that the person may not be quite as knowledgeable or speak quite the same bow language and kill the good answer with archery talk, lingo that is not clear or quick answers that seem to be ok for their brain but may not be clear to the receivers brain.
7. As happened to me once today in another post, get irritated with additional questions and clarifications of a questioner and chide them as pushing "the forum's patience" (how arrogant of someone speaks for a forum).

From day one everything I have posted has generated a fair amount of this. From simple stories to clear specific questions.

And I will state again. This response is not emotional...more so I take the time to write these response hoping that people can wake up to some of the ridiculousness going on and move in these forums and answers and move Rokslide towards a better direction. Trust me, no one on here or pretty much anywhere (at this point in my life) is "enough" to provoke me (emotionally) unless they impinge upon my lifestyle or those I love. I do doubt though if the answer I am taking the time to provide will help. So why do I stay on here (and write these annoying answers)? Because there are some genuine diamonds in the rough. To those people I THANK YOU!!

One of my favorite quotes from Justified "If you run into an a-hole in the morning, you just ran into an a-hole. If you run into a-holes all day, you're the a-hole".

To be clear, I am not in any way saying that you are an a-hole. I enjoy your posts for the most part and believe you to be a thoughtful guy who is trying to learn new things while also sharing some knowledge which is hopefully why the vast majority of us are here as well. However, in a significant number of the threads you make you end up getting REALLY defensive and go on a similar diatribe about how you don't like the responses you get here...too much moralizing, explaining basic stuff that you OBVIOUSLY already know, etc. You are saying this happens to you on multiple forums. My suggestion is that perhaps you have unrealistic expectations of what an online community can, and should be providing to you? None of us are mind readers, your posts are usually very long and detailed, but sometimes leave out important information so people make assumptions and offer advice based on those assumptions. Perhaps if you didn't get so defensive when someone makes an incorrect assumption you might enjoy your time here more. We don't enjoy you preaching at us about how we need to change any more than you enjoy what you perceive as us preaching at you.

That's just my 2 cents.

For the record I also believe that having 3 bows is excessive and is a waste of storage space and practice time. I also see no real advantage to having bows set up differently for hunting different game. I think it makes more sense to set up one type of arrow that you can shoot out of 2 bows. This arrow should be fast enough for whitetail hunting, but heavy enough for elk. That is totally doable with today's arrow selections. Something around 475-500 grains is what I would be looking at. If you are set on having three bows the same advice applies...just shoot the same arrows through all of them.

wayoh22

WKR
One of my favorite quotes from Justified "If you run into an a-hole in the morning, you just ran into an a-hole. If you run into a-holes all day, you're the a-hole".

To be clear, I am not in any way saying that you are an a-hole. I enjoy your posts for the most part and believe you to be a thoughtful guy who is trying to learn new things while also sharing some knowledge which is hopefully why the vast majority of us are here as well. However, in a significant number of the threads you make you end up getting REALLY defensive and go on a similar diatribe about how you don't like the responses you get here...too much moralizing, explaining basic stuff that you OBVIOUSLY already know, etc. You are saying this happens to you on multiple forums. My suggestion is that perhaps you have unrealistic expectations of what an online community can, and should be providing to you? None of us are mind readers, your posts are usually very long and detailed, but sometimes leave out important information so people make assumptions and offer advice based on those assumptions. Perhaps if you didn't get so defensive when someone makes an incorrect assumption you might enjoy your time here more. We don't enjoy you preaching at us about how we need to change any more than you enjoy what you perceive as us preaching at you.

That's just my 2 cents.

For the record I also believe that having 3 bows is excessive and is a waste of storage space and practice time. I also see no real advantage to having bows set up differently for hunting different game. I think it makes more sense to set up one type of arrow that you can shoot out of 2 bows. This arrow should be fast enough for whitetail hunting, but heavy enough for elk. That is totally doable with today's arrow selections. Something around 475-500 grains is what I would be looking at. If you are set on having three bows the same advice applies...just shoot the same arrows through all of them.
^ What he said. Get this man a medal.

Reactions: Zac

wayoh22

WKR
First and foremost, thank you for your service. I don't think that goes undervalued here.

Listen...I think what bsnedeker said is what we're all thinking to some extent. Literally in your "Peep Sight Hell" thread yesterday someone pointed out the same thing that's happening right now. You're getting defensive over nothing and making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Those that have experience working on their own bows are trying their best to help you genuinely because we want to help. No one is being paid to be here...But you're defensiveness and inability to accept criticism makes it hard for anyone to want to genuinely help.

I wish I had something positive to add to your questions stated but having more than 1 bow has never been an option for me due to my own circumstances. I, too, think having three is excessive. A backup? For sure, why not. But I do think a backup should be identical to what your primary is. When I played lacrosse in college I had a backup stick that was identical so that if my primary broke (and many times it did, I was a goalie) I knew I could just pick it up and go and not have to worry. I think the same applies.

Arrows around the 500 grain mark are going to do the job regardless. If you want some extra reassurance on the FOC front go for it. Not every shot is going to go as planned and maybe having that extra layer of security is what you need. Only you can make that choice and only you can deduce the opinions being presented to you here.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor

This isnt emotional but logical. Dang near every thread you start turns into a dumpser fire with long monolouge diatribes.

Makes me realize posting to help you is really a waste of time and I regret trying to help you.

I'm out. Rah Rah.

This isnt emotional but logical. Dang near every thread you start turns into a dumpser fire with long monolouge diatribes.

Makes me realize posting to help you is really a waste of time and I regret trying to help you.

I'm out. Rah Rah.

Dude, you should really check out the whitetail forum. He was thankful for the advice you and everyone has given him here.

Surprisingly that one hasn't gotten locked yet....

Beendare

WKR
OK since we all have our big big boy pants on........

I stated I agreed with the one bow theory...excepting competitive 3D.

Heres where I'm coming from; Decades of experience in archery/Bowhunting. I shot Sponsored/ competitively for a decade....and have done the multiple bow thing for years ...though it was when I was getting arrows for free.

I am offering you my experience. Yes it was a shortened answer....and yes, I don't understand why some choose not to listen to others with vast experience-its frustrating. I can tell you learning from others with experience in the many facets of life has saved me from making a lot of mistakes....and made me successful in life.

3 bows;

Do you understand that each of the 3 bows has to have dedicated equipment? thats $$$$. They all need to be tuned and maintained.......and with their own arrows/acc. If you want them to shoot right there is a lot that goes into each bow. Then you will have to run all of those arrows on a jig checking each. And that's only part of it for each bow...what about strings, and all of the accessories?

You will need to develop a system for keeping track of everything for chriss sake.

I think the experienced guys would agree....it's a fair amount of work to dial in a new bow...and everything with it. Then there is the fact that you always shoot a bow better when you have shot it a lot. The anchor just feels different with a different bow when you pick it up giving you one more mental hurdle when building a shot.

Is anyone here disagreeing that one bow with an identical backup is better than 3 different bows?

So thats the long answer.....I've been there and did what you are asking...its a PITA and not worth doing.

I will always try to help a new guy....but when they say "F O, I'm doing it anyway..." I can get snarky.

FORUMS; And let me tell you the other side of your complaint about forums... Guys asking questions and doing the opposite. Guys buying something and then posting...then they get mad when guys say its shitty. I just recently had a guy whining, "Thats not the SPECIFIC question I asked you ( DB- insinuated)"

Well yeah, its because I have been there and done that...and am trying to save you the trouble that you don't even know what kind of rathole you are headed towards. Not that I'm the end all expert....I don't comment on stuff I don't feel qualified.

Stupid comments on forums ( not that yours WM is) has driven many quality guys from these forums. I know a top pro- best in the US a few years ago- that was commenting on forums under cover...and he had guys telling him he wasn't giving the OP the answer he wanted to hear...WTF.....he checked out. There is another guy here...very knowledgeable that gave up on AT for the same reasons....and I see his short answers here picked questioned regularly.

If its not what you wanted to hear....you might want to consider there are others here that know a heck of a lot. Unfortunately, many don't post that much....Exactly because of threads like this and the pettiness.

______

I can't even count the guys I have helped over the years and communicated with on these forums....ask those guys if I'm a dick....or some newbie that doesn't know hat he is talking about.

_____

AND thanks for your service ( someone commented you are in the military)......myself and my family appreciate your sacrifice.

______

If its not what you wanted to hear....you might want to consider there are others here that know a heck of a lot. Unfortunately, many don't post that much....Exactly because of threads like this and the pettiness.

This....

It's like the line, God gave you two ears and one mouth, so you should listen twice as much as you talk.
That's advice I frequently need to remind myself of, especially when it's stuff I don't want to hear.

I have found that this archery forum has some great guys on here, very few chest thumpers, and they are here to help because they enjoy the sport. Unfortunately some do get runoff, you can only take so much before you say to hell with it.
That and sometimes things just don't come across the best in type. I might seem sarcastic on here, but I'm really just an asshole.