Bow setup for women

usmc99

Lil-Rokslider
So the wife has been saying she wants to try archery out. Took her into scheels the other day and the guy in the archery dept spent about 30 minutes with her setting a bow up and going over the basics with her and having her shoot for awhile. She absolutely fell in love with it! She was shooting a Diamond Edge SB1, pretty nice little bow with a huge range of adjustment for weight and draw length. Package deal for about $400. Didnt buy it yet because I wanted to look around a little but I think thats probably what shes gonna go with. Anyone else wife a bowhunter? What are they running for a setup and draw weight are they shooting?

My wife had a diamond edge like 5 years ago, she wasnt a fan. She wasnt real consistent with it and had a bad experience shooting a doe with it. The next year we got her a bowtech heartbreaker, that was a huge upgrade IMO. She still has the same bow and has killed at least a half dozen deer, including a nice 157" whitetail. I would highly recommend looking for one of the higher end womens bows, even if it means buying used. I feel like you can get a really nice higher end bow used, and be better off then buying the lower end bow new. Just my .02

Also, she only shoots mid 40s and has a 26" draw

OP
U

usmc99

Lil-Rokslider
My wife had a diamond edge like 5 years ago, she wasnt a fan. She wasnt real consistent with it and had a bad experience shooting a doe with it. The next year we got her a bowtech heartbreaker, that was a huge upgrade IMO. She still has the same bow and has killed at least a half dozen deer, including a nice 157" whitetail. I would highly recommend looking for one of the higher end womens bows, even if it means buying used. I feel like you can get a really nice higher end bow used, and be better off then buying the lower end bow new. Just my .02

Also, she only shoots mid 40s and has a 26" draw

Thanks for the info. I might have to do some more checking around then. So the mid 40 range for weight has been sufficient for killing deer then?

Check out the bowtech fuel. I got one for my daughter a couple years back and she loves it. Binary cams, lots of adjustment, light and tunes really easy.

mcr-85

WKR
I bought my wife the Hoyt Nitrum last year with money I made trapping bobcats. She pulls right at 60 lbs at a 27.5 draw length. She shot an antelope last year with it and just shot her deer yesterday morning with it. She loves her Hoyt.

Thanks for the info. I might have to do some more checking around then. So the mid 40 range for weight has been sufficient for killing deer then?

She shoots slick tricks and hasn't had a problem with penetration. Pass throughs on at least half her deer. She only takes shots 30 and in though. If she worked her way up to 50 lbs I think she could add some yardage but she has a bad shoulder so we don't push it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
U

usmc99

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the replies fellas. Looks like there is a lot of options out there. Looked at a bowtech carbon rose today that looks pretty nice. My main concern is that she has enough poundage to make clean kills but if it can be done in the 40s she should be just fine.

Xtorminator

Lil-Rokslider
My wife is shooting a PSE Stiletto at 48# and a 23 inch draw. She has taken a few elk with no penetration issues. First cow the arrow stopped in the off shoulder It was shot at 20 yards. The second cow the broadhead was tenting the off side hide. This one was shot at 40 yards. Her bull was a complete pass through. He was shot at 20 yards. Here arrows weigh about 363 grains. Just use good sharp heads and there won't be any problems.

Evergreen

WKR
And yet another option! My wife shoots the Elite Spirit and loves it, she shot a Mathews DXT prior to that.

My wife shoots a Heartbreaker ; 38 pounds - 25" draw - Carbon Express 500 spine; She shoots through deer, that I can tell ya ;-)

jdmaxwell

WKR
My wife shoots a Hoyt AlphaMax.
28 in draw set on 53 lbs.
Kills elk and whitetails with it.

dble07

Lil-Rokslider
My girlfriend bought a Mathews Chill SDX after shooting a Razors Edge for a couple years. The SDX is a much better bow for her to hunt with. Right now she is shooting an Exodus head with 27dl at 45lbs. She drew her first elk tag in AZ so hopefully about 10 days from now I can report how well it does on an animal!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

My wife shoots the Diamond Infinite Edge. At first we were having real inconsistent arrow flight and accuracy issues. I got rid of the rubber cable peep site and put a regular peep in it, upgraded arrows from inexpensive Carbon express predator II to Beman ICS hunter 500s and got rid of the cheap octane rest and put a fall away on there and that fixed all of her issues. She's very consistent with it out to 35 yds. She shoots 42lbs at 25" draw. She does not deer hunt just target shoots.

A good friend of mine's wife has the exact same bow. We set her up with some Gold Tip arrows, 75 grain grim reapers and she has harvested 9-10 deer with that set-up. Her draw weight is 35 lbs (legal minimum in my state) and her draw length is 24". I helped track the first 3 deer she shot and all 3 were pass thrus at 15-25 yds and the longest tracking job was about 75 yds. Last season she harvested a spike buck at 38 yds! The arrow did not pass through but penetrated about 16". Perfect double lung hit and the deer only made it about 50 yds.