Bow setup

I’ve prior been a rifle hunter now getting into archery and am looking for some tips.

My setup is a Diamond Deploy set at 61 lbs with 29.5 draw length. I’m using Carbon Express Pile Driver arrows that come in at 498 grams with 100 grain muzzy fixed blade broadheads. Currently using single pin sight and smack down pro rest.

I used the chronograph today and was getting 253-254 FPS. I’m not sure if that is considered slow or acceptable in the archery world as my arrows are decently heavy.

My draw length does feel a little short and I may try 30.

I’m not looking for an elite bow yet as I want to see how I like hunting with a bow instead of a rifle so am happy with current bow.

To the more experienced archery hunters do you have any suggestions for my setup? Is this a reasonable setup for elk hunting?

I appreciate any tips or feedback as I’m getting this setup dialed in.

Thanks

bsnedeker

WKR
Yeah, you are in the slow side but that setup would work for elk. With a single pin slider you'll find be limiting the distances you can shoot without moving the rest...a faster setup with a flatter trajectory means you can hold over/ under for a wider array of distances. That said, you don't want to go too fast as that makes the bow harder to tune and also makes it louder. Ideally you want to be in the 265-280 fps range in my opinion.

If you can crank the bow up to 70 without messing up your spine I'd think about it, but I think you have a good enough setup right now without doing anything.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
Kyle Wheeler
Yeah, you are in the slow side but that setup would work for elk. With a single pin slider you'll find be limiting the distances you can shoot without moving the rest...a faster setup with a flatter trajectory means you can hold over/ under for a wider array of distances. That said, you don't want to go too fast as that makes the bow harder to tune and also makes it louder. Ideally you want to be in the 265-280 fps range in my opinion.

If you can crank the bow up to 70 without messing up your spine I'd think about it, but I think you have a good enough setup right now without doing anything.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
This is very helpful! I am going to see if I can get into the 260-270 range then. My arrows are fairly long and I can lengthen my pull I’m pretty sure so may start there. I made a rookie move when I bought the bow used not realizing it maxed at 60. I can get it to 61. That being said I really like the Diamond Deploy and plan on using it to learn proper form and technique. It is light and feels really great to shoot so I’m very happy with it. I do think someday working up to 70 makes sense but currently this is my only bow and should help get me in the right direction. Thanks again for the tips!

If you are on the fence about your setup worry no more here is what I would be inclined to do try a VPA broadhead or a Kudu point Broadhead. You will have big blood trails with this type of broadhead. As far as Muzzy goes if it is a Trocar it is an ok broadhead. But if it is old school type where the blades enter from the top not a fan for elk sized game.

Reactions: Zac